How to get a new phone while still in contract?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 29, 2005 8:50:00 AM

I need a bluetooth phone. I am 7 months away from the end of my contract.
Verizon has one phone- V710 (besides the blackberry/treos)- with no new
Bluetooth phone coming in the near future.

I need this phone, but it seems that I have to pay full price (over $300).
I am not allowed to do the new phone every two years thing-- They won't let
me do that for 5 months.

After some questioning, they offered me "Early upgrade" which gets me the
phone at $149 but I have to take another 2 years on my contract. They will
not allow me to pay more for the phone, and to only take one year. It is 2
years only or nothing.
Also, it requires me to change to a plan that is at least $60/month-- which
I do not need. I am currently in the $35/400 minute plan.

I can also cancel Verizon and join Cingular (who have many more bluetooth
phones, and better priced plans) but then I get hit with the $175
termination fee.

Any other creative suggestions? I feel stuck!

More about : phone contract

April 29, 2005 1:41:33 PM

I thought the soon to be released LG VX8100 was supposed to have bluetooth.
No?

LG makes good phones. I've had 4 (now have VX7000 and VX8000).

-Frank

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>I need a bluetooth phone. I am 7 months away from the end of my contract.
> Verizon has one phone- V710 (besides the blackberry/treos)- with no new
> Bluetooth phone coming in the near future.
>
> I need this phone, but it seems that I have to pay full price (over $300).
> I am not allowed to do the new phone every two years thing-- They won't
> let
> me do that for 5 months.
>
> After some questioning, they offered me "Early upgrade" which gets me the
> phone at $149 but I have to take another 2 years on my contract. They
> will
> not allow me to pay more for the phone, and to only take one year. It is
> 2
> years only or nothing.
> Also, it requires me to change to a plan that is at least $60/month--
> which
> I do not need. I am currently in the $35/400 minute plan.
>
> I can also cancel Verizon and join Cingular (who have many more bluetooth
> phones, and better priced plans) but then I get hit with the $175
> termination fee.
>
> Any other creative suggestions? I feel stuck!

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:57:00 PM

I believe it was G. Gordon Liddy who said, "When you've got them by the
balls, their hearts and minds will follow." Looks like Verizon adheres to
the same philosophy.

- John

[...]

Related resources
April 29, 2005 2:57:01 PM

John Miller wrote:
> I believe it was G. Gordon Liddy who said, "When you've got them by the
> balls, their hearts and minds will follow." Looks like Verizon adheres to
> the same philosophy.
>
> - John

It seems to be universal with wireless though. My buddy has 5 nextel
radios and he wants to go with VZW. The INnetwork calling and the
ability to have full duplex conversations using INnetwork and better
coverage swayed him. Since they don't seem to have a concept of a shared
plan they told him it will cost $200.00 per radio for early termination.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:57:01 PM

What? The phone costs over $300. They gave him
a discount on a phone to sign a contract. Now he
feels "stuck" because he can't get another phone
at a discount without further contract obligations?
Oh, and then the obligatory comment about there
being a cost to break the previous contract obligation.

I'm all for the "creative suggestions", but feeling stuck?

-Quick

John Miller wrote:
> I believe it was G. Gordon Liddy who said, "When you've
> got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will
> follow." Looks like Verizon adheres to the same
> philosophy.
>
> - John
>
> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> I need a bluetooth phone. I am 7 months away from the
> end of my contract. Verizon has one phone- V710 (besides
> the blackberry/treos)- with no new Bluetooth phone coming
> in the near future.
>
> I need this phone, but it seems that I have to pay full
> price (over $300). I am not allowed to do the new phone
> every two years thing-- They won't let me do that for 5
> months.
>
> After some questioning, they offered me "Early upgrade"
> which gets me the phone at $149 but I have to take
> another 2 years on my contract. They will not allow me
> to pay more for the phone, and to only take one year. It
> is 2 years only or nothing.
> Also, it requires me to change to a plan that is at least
> $60/month-- which I do not need. I am currently in the
> $35/400 minute plan.
>
> I can also cancel Verizon and join Cingular (who have
> many more bluetooth phones, and better priced plans) but
> then I get hit with the $175 termination fee.
>
> Any other creative suggestions? I feel stuck!
April 29, 2005 3:02:04 PM

Why do you NEED the bluetooth phone right now? All you can use the
bluetooth on the V710 is for handsfree headsets. Why not just get an
inexpensive headset for your current phone and wait the 5 months until
you're eligible for the upgrade. Maybe by then there will be better choices
for bluetooth.

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>I need a bluetooth phone. I am 7 months away from the end of my contract.
> Verizon has one phone- V710 (besides the blackberry/treos)- with no new
> Bluetooth phone coming in the near future.
>
> I need this phone, but it seems that I have to pay full price (over $300).
> I am not allowed to do the new phone every two years thing-- They won't
> let
> me do that for 5 months.
>
> After some questioning, they offered me "Early upgrade" which gets me the
> phone at $149 but I have to take another 2 years on my contract. They
> will
> not allow me to pay more for the phone, and to only take one year. It is
> 2
> years only or nothing.
> Also, it requires me to change to a plan that is at least $60/month--
> which
> I do not need. I am currently in the $35/400 minute plan.
>
> I can also cancel Verizon and join Cingular (who have many more bluetooth
> phones, and better priced plans) but then I get hit with the $175
> termination fee.
>
> Any other creative suggestions? I feel stuck!

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:02:05 PM

Not True if you know the who's and how's of Software flashing. I had a
VZW Tech cliam he went online and downloaded the original motorala
(Spelling) software. Now he can use his bluetooth for anything and
everything it was designed for. Also I think in NY there is a class
action lawsuit against Verizon for blutooth limiting.

So I've heard anyways

Dan

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:02:04 GMT, "J" <J@J.com> wrote:

>Why do you NEED the bluetooth phone right now? All you can use the
>bluetooth on the V710 is for handsfree headsets. Why not just get an
>inexpensive headset for your current phone and wait the 5 months until
>you're eligible for the upgrade. Maybe by then there will be better choices
>for bluetooth.
>
>"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>>I need a bluetooth phone. I am 7 months away from the end of my contract.
>> Verizon has one phone- V710 (besides the blackberry/treos)- with no new
>> Bluetooth phone coming in the near future.
>>
>> I need this phone, but it seems that I have to pay full price (over $300).
>> I am not allowed to do the new phone every two years thing-- They won't
>> let
>> me do that for 5 months.
>>
>> After some questioning, they offered me "Early upgrade" which gets me the
>> phone at $149 but I have to take another 2 years on my contract. They
>> will
>> not allow me to pay more for the phone, and to only take one year. It is
>> 2
>> years only or nothing.
>> Also, it requires me to change to a plan that is at least $60/month--
>> which
>> I do not need. I am currently in the $35/400 minute plan.
>>
>> I can also cancel Verizon and join Cingular (who have many more bluetooth
>> phones, and better priced plans) but then I get hit with the $175
>> termination fee.
>>
>> Any other creative suggestions? I feel stuck!

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:02:05 PM

Not true. My sister has a GPS system in her car that communicates with her
Bluetooth phone. She keeps the phone in her purse and uses the GPS system
for all phone calls through it.

"J" <J@J.com> wrote in message news:Muoce.9704$WX.5374@trndny01...
> Why do you NEED the bluetooth phone right now? All you can use the
> bluetooth on the V710 is for handsfree headsets. Why not just get an
> inexpensive headset for your current phone and wait the 5 months until
> you're eligible for the upgrade. Maybe by then there will be better
> choices for bluetooth.

<snip>

April 29, 2005 5:39:58 PM

Verizon User wrote:
> I need a bluetooth phone. I am 7 months away from the end of my contract.
> Verizon has one phone- V710 (besides the blackberry/treos)- with no new
> Bluetooth phone coming in the near future.
>
> I need this phone, but it seems that I have to pay full price (over $300).
> I am not allowed to do the new phone every two years thing-- They won't let
> me do that for 5 months.
>
> After some questioning, they offered me "Early upgrade" which gets me the
> phone at $149 but I have to take another 2 years on my contract. They will
> not allow me to pay more for the phone, and to only take one year. It is 2
> years only or nothing.

I do understand the problem. You "need" the phone and you got a
reasonable offer on the phone you need.

> Also, it requires me to change to a plan that is at least $60/month-- which
> I do not need. I am currently in the $35/400 minute plan.

If you must change plans for some reason there is a 450 min /$39.99 plan.

> I can also cancel Verizon and join Cingular (who have many more bluetooth
> phones, and better priced plans) but then I get hit with the $175
> termination fee.
>
> Any other creative suggestions? I feel stuck!

April 30, 2005 2:29:41 AM

Sounds like you have to find the right tech to do that or one even willing
to do it but that's good if you can.

!