how to overcloak geforce 2 mx400

iman_zahari

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Hello. I have a geforce 2 card. i know this is quite an old card. so can somebody recommend how to overcloak this old card.

thanks.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Download an overclocking utility. I use Powerstrip. You can download it. I don't know the site though, do a search for it. Once downloaded, increase the core and memory slowly. I go up on the core by 3 MHz and the memory by 5 MHz. Then I run 3D Mark 2003. If your card starts having artifacts, then don't know overclock it anymore. I have GeForce 4 Ti 4200 and the stock speed was 250/515. I overclocked it to 270/550 with no problems. I gained around 60 points in 3D Mark 2003. I will overclock more when I get better cooling. Good luck !

Mowgly

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
I have the ASUS geforce 2MX400 32Mb I've got it stable overclocked at 220/206 from 175/166 I've also installed a 12cm fan 2 pci slots below the card. My 3dMark2k1 have jumped to 3700 from 2900 I haven't yet upped the voltage to the card to get more out of it but I'm going to try soon :)

Anyways the method I use was adding a line in the registry which is simple to do just click start then run and type regedit and expand the HKEY_LOCAL8MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak then create a new DWORD called CoolBits and set it's value to 3, now when you goto the geforce bit in displays advance properties there's a new option to adjust the clock of you card without using a 3rd party software.

Hope you get a good result, and I suggest that you add some cooling to your card.

Mowgly

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
Quite easy, I used some spare things I had lying around :) (don't know what there called could be back plates there the things that you have on graphics cards and pci slot cards the metal bit that screws in) man hope that helped :) but they was blank ones used to cover the back of the case where theres no pci cards installed. first i removed the 2nd pci back plate thingy(hope you know what i'm on about here ) then glued it to the 12cm fan at a good position so it could be installed then when the glue had dried i screwed another 2 back plates to use as supporting legs(man it's times like these i wich i had a digital camera :) ) I did it on my old comp which had a GF2 Ti 64Mb and it's temps dropped by 11°C and 14°C on the chip and edge temp readings quite simple to do and boy it works :) when My 9700pro comes (might be getting the sapphire ultimate version with the passive cooler and a 12cm fan should let it overclock quite high :). If you have any problems just ask because I'm sure it's not very clear what I've put :( but don't have any pic's to show it which sux

well good luck

svol

Champion
If you card doesn't have a fan just place a 40 0r 60 mm fan on it with some screws... you can find these kind of fans on old CPU coolers.
Then you download something like Rivatuner and you slowly start increasing the clockspeeds. Start with the memory and increase it in small steps of 3-5MHz and then test the stability with a program called Artifact Tester (which you can download here: <A HREF="http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=201" target="_new">http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=201</A>. continue doing this till you get artifacts and then lower the clock speed with about 5 MHz. After that proceed to GPU overclocking.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

iman_zahari

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Hi guys. I have overclocked my msi geforce 2 mx400 using the tips you guys teach me. using a 12cm fan and a small fan on top of the heatsink i managed to overclocked mine to 215/203
and still clocking. Thanks.

a4amd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
good 4 u. i used the RivaTuner 2 and overclocked my GF4 MX 440 to 340/540 from the default value of 270/405. This works fine, but i have to check it now with the Artifact Tester.

:eek: Ever wondered...how would u reset ur brain back to normal/default if u could ever overclock :cool: it???

svol

Champion
Yes, but you need to mod your card by adding some variable resistors onto the voltage controlling chips... you will void your warranty if you do this and you need to have some solder skills because you have to solder very small parts.

But if you're willing to take the risk I can search which things have to be modded to change the voltages on your card.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

svol

Champion
I think the best place to search for information to do that is <A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org" target="_new">http://www.xtremesystems.org</A>. They have a Vmod OC section where you can find and ask anything.

AMD_me

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
Hmm you may find cloaking in Lord of the Rings also. If you mean overCLOCK, i suggest you download <A HREF="http://www.entechtaiwan.com" target="_new">PowerStrip</A>

eBay, kick ass!

My 3DMark2001 Score: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493</A>
-
I bought from Best Buy once. Once.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Coolbits yet? The NVidia Drivers are set up to overclock from the display settings... You have to edit your regestry, but it is easy... and it works with the newist Drivers... I did not save the link, but look up Coolbits...

At least it still works with my GF2 MX 400

How do you know when to stop pushing the clock up... I get the artifacts problem... but twhen does the chip getting warm start to cause a decrease in performance...

I have a post in the Video Cards forum here...

"PCI card kicking an AGPs @ss"

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

a4amd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
Hi svol, i cud raise my AGP voltage from 1.5V to 1.8V in stpes of 0.1V in my BIOS. don't other mobo BIOS' have this setting?

:eek: Ever wondered...how would u reset ur brain back to normal/default if u could ever overclock :cool: it???

svol

Champion
Only a couple of motherboards support those settings (mostly the newer Epox boards). The Vagp determines the AGP slot voltage and not the voltages of the GPU and video memory. But in some rare cases the bottleneck in power delivery is the AGP port and not the videocards' voltage settings... in those cases increasing the Vagp to 1.7V or 1.8V might help to get better overclocks. So you could go ahead and try if it helps you in reaching higher speeds.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Hi, as much as i tried, even at 1.8V i cudnt overclock my MX440 more than 380/520 for a stable system. my default was 270/405. so i think thats pretty good overclock for a ASUS MX440. mine is a ASUS A7V8X mobo

somebody stop me!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 04/28/03 02:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>