Sign in with
Your question

(Micro) Stutter in almost every game!

Last response: in Video Games
November 19, 2012 5:16:54 PM

So im getting pretty frustrated with this problem ive been having for months now: In almost all new games and some older, i get this jidder/judder close to microstutter almost constantly. I know microstutter only occurs with multiple GPUs and since im only running a single GPU setup its not the correct term, but my problem and M-S looks very alike. Ive tried many things to fix it, with no solutions. Ive replaced my GPU with a new identical model, same with motherboard, and RAM as last solutions and the problem still persist. Please, i really need some advice!

Thanks in advance!

GTX 680
I7 2600k @ 3,4Ghz
16GB DDR3 RAM
MSI z77MA-G45 MB
Corsair TX850 PSUU

More about : micro stutter game

November 19, 2012 5:33:19 PM

Might be worth adding that its NOT an fps problem. I get +60 fps in all games.
November 19, 2012 9:05:27 PM

You might want to check your ram. One stick at a time if needed. I've seen people getting these problems with bad ram.
Related resources
November 20, 2012 3:07:42 AM

bystander said:
You might want to check your ram. One stick at a time if needed. I've seen people getting these problems with bad ram.

Already did that twice, and replaced them, just to be sure.
November 20, 2012 9:03:01 PM

Anyone? Please?
November 20, 2012 9:04:56 PM

Does this microstutter only appear when you are turning your view? Perhaps there is nothing wrong with your FPS, and everything is running smooth, but your mouse movements come across as jerky, which might mean you have a mouse that tracks horribly and/or has a low polling rate.
November 20, 2012 9:20:19 PM

You've probably done this, but, delete and update all drivers with the latest?
November 21, 2012 3:29:33 AM

no mention of your hdd. if its a low end 7200rpm or has lots of partitions then that can slow down your pc also make sure you try your games with vsync enabled. it will often stop micro stutter although i doubt thats what your suffering as its a description of the delay caused when you use 2 gfx cards. when 1 card is used its fps lag, or fps stutter. it can look the same as micro stutter but because its only 1 gfx card it named differently.

if you have a spare hdd of the same make and model ( always wise to pair like with like) consider a clean format and then setup a raid 0 . this will speed up game texture load times dramatically and can also stop fps instability.
November 21, 2012 2:11:31 PM

If it is an hdd problem, you'll be experiencing these events as stutters every few seconds or more. It won't be a constant stuttering. If this is what you are experiencing, a new hdd may help.

As far as 7200rpm goes, don't be afraid of that rpm. Most good hdd's are also 7200rpm's, but that doesn't mean its a good hdd either.
November 24, 2012 4:27:53 PM

Hello! Thaks for all your replies! Ive been fiddling about with the nvidia control panel and for some reason, the stutter is almost gone if i turn on adaptive vsync, but only if i select the "Half update rate" which luckily is 60 because of my monitor, but at some point i really hope it will be fixed by drivers, cuz i dont like the occasional screen tearing of A-vsync
November 24, 2012 4:59:47 PM

If v-sync is doing it to you, and a-vsyinc isn't. it sounds as if you are noticing the differences between when your monitor gets the same image twice in a row and every refresh.

This sounds like your FPS were dipping below 60 FPS with v-sync on, and when they did, your graphics card was alternating between sending images every other refresh and sending it every refresh. This creates a microstuttering type of experience.
November 24, 2012 8:22:05 PM

Yeah i often get dips in like Skyrim it swings from 57-60 (and oddly sometimes 61) all the time and genereally just wont keep steady..
November 25, 2012 6:35:04 AM

it's a frame rate issue, and high end systems get it too, which it why it is often recommended to set say 60 even though you system can do over 100 but stutters nonetheless. use the frame rate cap
December 14, 2012 2:37:01 PM

If you have a powerful gaming rig just like me (powerful and healthy parts CPU, MOBO, GPU, RAM, PSU, SPU, HDD), and you still have micro-stuttering despite having high fps, I suggest you to check if you are experiencing input lag by USB keyboard/mouse.
Go to device manager and disable HID for mouse, keyboard and for everything else having HID that you see there, you should still be able to use your keyboard and mouse but, all the special keys in your keyboard and mouse will be disabled like volume control, quick access to calculator, quick access to web browser, etc.
Next step is to make sure you only have one language installed in your keyboard, you probably have english as default but, you might also have russian or something else, make sure its only one.
Try your games and see if they stutter again.

I was having a very weird and random micro-stuttering issue in almost every game, I went crazy trying to figure out what would case those annoying micro-stutters till I figured out it was just the input lag.
!