Case Fan Help???!!!

TARIK26Z

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I just brought that thermaltake 3in1 fan I don't know wich way to put the fan(have the fan blow in air? or take out air) and I have that sandr utility. how accurate is it in temperature readings because it diplays my mainboard heating up to 156f degrees and I put that stupid absorbtion mat on and I can't get it off! does anybody have any suggetsion?

samtesla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
If it is going to the front of the case (intake) it should be pulling air into the case, i.e. blowing into the case. If it is in the back it should blow out of the case, i.e exhaust.

156F is a bit on the hot side, have you verified it with a real thermometer and such?

ST

TARIK26Z

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
i HAVE THAT sandra sis diagnosis. is it accurate? so I should buy another fan? one in the front for intake and another in the back for exaust.I put that fan in the back but it is blowing in air and I have an exhaust in a pci slot next to my video card. but it aint working. I am also trying to remove that absorbtion mat, I have it on the side panel but I am having a hard time

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you have that fan blowing inwards from the back of the case, it's probably <i>defeating</i> the airflow through the case.

The idea is to bring cold air in the front of your case, circulate it through as much of the case as possible so it can pick up heat and then send it packing out the back... The plan is to constantly keep the case full of cool air, reversing a back-case fan will do nothing but stir hot air around inside the case.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the sound absorbing mats... with proper airflow in your case they won't make any difference to the temperature at all... but they will make for a much quieter computer.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

TARIK26Z

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
But my case in the front does not have any vents. inside I see the plastic square thing covering those vent with holes in it but on the front of the case there is no vent will air be able to get in? and should the airflow be stronger coming in than going out? I'm really considering getting another case like a antec or something like that.. I paid 20 bucks for this case and so far nothing but headaches

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
A case without adequate air intakes is going to run hot no matter what you do fan wise.

The golden rule is "the same intake area as occupied by the exhaust fans"... an 80mm exhaust fan needs the equivalent of an 80mm square opening to let air in. That can be in the form of several smaller openings, one big one or grille work so long as the areas more or less match up. With less intake than exhaust you get a pressure drop inside the case which limits the amount of cooling air to the components.

Check for slots/openings underneath the front plastic cover, look for grille-like openings under the front edge. If they aren't there, you really should either look into a new case or modify your existing one.

There are some fairly good, medium priced, cases here:
<A HREF="http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/default.htm" target="_new">http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/default.htm</A>

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---