Have you ever broke AS Thermal Adhesive bond?

MeTaSpARKs

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
I'm looking across the boards for anyone with experience breaking the bond between two components that were cured with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive bond.
If you have ever attempted to do this, and either succeeded or failed, please post me your details and experience here.
It would be greatly appreciated because I am required to RMA a Radeon that has heatsinks bonded to the mem chips with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive, and now need to remove the sinks.
MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Breaking an epoxy bond is nearly impossible without doing some damage. Even if you succeed, you'll never get all the epoxy off no matter what you do. I rather suspect your warranty is toast.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

MeTaSpARKs

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
Just wanted to post this reply from another forum.
"Usual method is freezing. Place the thing (gfx card?) in a polythene bag and then in the freezer (bag stops condensation). Leave for an hour, then take out and try removing the cooler. Ideally you need to place a small flat screwdriver between the cooler and piece it is attached to and TWIST - do not lever. It should come of easily; if it doesn't, then put it back in the freezer for a while.
I've used this trick many times." -Obsidian, amdmb.com

I'll try this out and post my results for others.

If you still have done this before, please post your experience.

Thanks
MeTaSPaRKs

MeTaSpARKs

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Well... the reason I wrote a cautionary note to you is that the last time I tried this, I ended up with the cooler coming off... chip and all.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---