Seems bloody hot...

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Hi. I've got an Athlon XP2000 in a nice big case with a case fan in back and a PS and HSF from PCpowerandcooling. Also inside is a GF4Ti4200.

My CPU is getting up to about 75C, and the system shuts down from time to time (I suspect overheating). Is my system too hot, or is that a typical temp for such a computer?

I'm getting nervous cause I plan to build a computer with an XP2700 and a Radeon9700 Pro--I fear the bleedin thing won't even start. Any general cooling suggestions to get my heat down?

Thanks a lot!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
75c is just way too hot. Properly cooled the CPU should idle in the high 30c - low 40c range and might hit 50c under full load.

1) Did the heatsink come with a thermal pad and did you remove the paper protector before mounting it to the cpu?

2) If it did not have a thermal pad, did you use the recommended heat sink grease, according to the manufacturer's instructions?

3) Do you have the heat sink mounted the right way around? The step in the bottom of the heatsink goes over the cambox (where the locking arm comes out) on the cpu socket.

4) Is the CPU Core voltage set too high in the BIOS? For an XP2000 the core voltage should be about 1.7.

5) Was the heatsink explicitly rated for an XP2000? There are a ton of inadequate and poorly made coolers out there.

6) Are you sure you have the heatsink properly locked on the middle 2 prongs of the CPU socket? These CPUs are highly sensitive incorrect positioning/mounting of the heatsink.

7) Is the heatsink fan spinning?

Probably what you should do is remove and re-mount the heatsink. If it has a thermal pad, this gets a bit ugly since you can't re-use them. You will have to clean all the gunk off your CPU and heatsink and then put in thermal grease... Not hard to do, but probably more complicated than you wanted.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Thanks for replying. It originally came with a thermal pad, and I removed the plastic cover before installing (and I did/have installed the heatsink properly as far as I can tell).

The system crashed repeatedly after only a few minutes, though, so I removed the heatsink, scraped the pad off the HSF and the gunk that had accumulated on the processor, applied a nice thin layer of grease (from the same company I bought the HSF from) and stuck it back on. The system didn't crash anymore, but continued to run hot.

Do I need a more powerful HSF (if so, is there a company you recommend)? Or should I try reapplying the grease?

Thanks.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It depends.
If you have a couple of casefans and the room temp is acceptable then you shouldnt, provided you are using the stock cooler that came with the CPU.

If the room temp is very hot >30C then you may need something better.
Also, certain motherboards epxo 8k3a+ for example, are known to report system temps that are much higher than what they really are.

additionally, some monitoring software can be just plain wrong.
I reccommend motherboard monitor 5.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
I'm using a K7S5a on one system and a KG7-R on the other--both running at around 70C. I'm using generic HSFs from pcpowerandcooling.com.

Am I putting my CPUs at risk by running them at such high temperatures? Should I expect a dramatic life decrease?

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
are they aluminum or something? and is your case airflow really bad?

and you're not really putting your cpu life at risk by hitting 70C, even if it takes 5 years off the life of your processor you've still got like 5 years that it'll work, and in 5 years no one will want a 2ghz processor.

the crashes would definitely frustrate me though, if you've properly fitting the heatsink and fan (try refitting it once more to be sure), then either get a new one or get better case airflow

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
AMD CPUs self-destruct very dramatically at about 85c or 90c. While 70c presents no immediate danger, beyond burned fingers... What you loose with higher temperatures are your safety margins. It is also possible the higher temperatures may adversely affect nearby components, some of which are right inside the CPU socket, possibly causing the shutdowns you encountered with the original thermal pad.

I strongly suggest you get off the "generic" heatsinks and look to getting a much better heatsink and fan assembly. Expect to pay $30 to $50us for a good one...

1) In terms of coolers what you need is a good hybrid (copper bottom with aluminum fins) with a thermal resistence less than .6 An example is here:
<A HREF="http://www.spirecooler.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=95" target="_new">http://www.spirecooler.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=95</A>

2) You need to get a good quality thermal grease. Artic Silver is very popular and Radio Shack has a good one too. The correct application method for heat sink grease is here:
<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>
(the brand doesn't matter, use the same procedure for all)

3) The correct cooler mounting technique is also shown on the website for the cooler above.

Here's what to look for, and why...

Right up front, be sure the cooler is rated for your CPU. Do not use any cooler that is not, you might end up worse off than you are now.

Thermal resistence is an important heatsink specification. It's a measure of how much temperature rise will occur with a given amount of thermal energy. It's measured in degrees per watt... Obviously the smaller the number --in fractions of a degree-- the better. The example above is a good cooler and I've used several of them, but there are lots of others in the same style from other companies you can also use. For xp2000 and above the TR spec should be 0.6 or less. (As a cautionary note, don't get caught up in fancy, stay with the basics, like the example. There is a reason so many look alike... that's what works.)

The important mechanical feature is that copper slug in the bottom. It is used as a "heat spreader", something AMD should include on the chip itself but doesn't. Copper absorbs heat very nicely but tends to hold on to it. Aluminum, ratiates heat better than it absorbs it so a larger contact area is needed for it to be effective. The copper cools the CPU and creates a larger surface area contact with the aluminum which then cools the copper. Together the two metals provide a far better heatsink than either can alone.

Fan wise, look for 70 or 80mm fans running at medium speeds. Airflow, which is measured in Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM) should be in the mid teens or or higher. Smaller fans can be used but they have to spin faster to do the job, which makes a lot of noise,

For mounting clips, look for the ones that grab all 3 of the mounting lugs on each side of the CPU socket. There have been problems with the single lug ones breaking the socket and falling off... Poof! CPU and motherboard right up in smoke. If you do end up with a single clip, make sure the heatsink weighs less than 12 ounces.

Hope this helps...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
touch the heatsinks while running. If they are burning hot you may experience shortened life spans and/or instability during hotter months.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
I'm going to go ahead and use a Volcano 6Cu I had stored away on my XP2400 for now. Do you recommend any (relatively) cheap HSF's for future computers? Will a Volcano7 be satisfactory for an XP2700?

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yep, volcano 7 (not 7+) is a great heatsink for XP chips. I've used several of them with good results.

Just stay with the hybrids and look for thermal resistence under .6 and you will make out fine.