Fan + Radiator + Fan = Good?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I wanted to beef up my cooling power a bit opn my water cooling as the warmer months approach. My idea was to get 2 120mm vantec stealth fans and sandwich the radiator in between them, as to push and pull air through. Is this a good idea?

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well you'd be increasing the air pressure but not the air speed i think...hmmm, I've thought about this myself a few times (was going to make a video-card colling duct with dual-fans..) but i realised that you would need the first fan to work at half speed, blowing into the second at full speed, otherwise too much air turbulance would cause the second fan to work inefficiently... though the air resistance of the radiator would cut down some of that first fan's airflow... hmmm, try it out, i mean a Vantec Stealth is only like $10 and it could be worth it :smile:

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I was thinking of this because the air pressure of one fan blowing through is not much, I can place my hand there after the radiator and dont feel as much air as gets put out by te current 120mm fan. The rad is a maxxxpert one with the fine thin aluminum fins.

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It would improve things a little, but dont go expecting a magical 50% increase LOL.
It really depends on how much the airflow is slowed down by backpressure cauzed by the mass of the radiator. If its significant then an extra fan on the other side would lower the backpressure, so the airflow speed would be close to that of the fans in a free configuration.

If its a low resistance radiator, results will be minimal.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>