problems overclocking Athlon 700

homerj

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I have a GFD and I'm trying to overclock my Slot A Athlon 700. I the fastest I can get it to go is 800MHZ. Anythign higher than that and the computer won't even boot up. Same with the voltage, anything but the lowest setting won't boot the computer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am using the Slot A Athlon 700 on a
MSI-6167 board which has
AMD 751 chipset and
AMD 756 southbridge

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Is it an Athlon "Classic" or Thunderbird? You can tell, as the former has memory chips beside it on the pcb, which are the external L2(?) cashe. These require cooling during overclocking as well, but it requires you to open the black case around the athlon. Also, from what I understand, the higher latency of the external cashe makes overclocking difficult. I had a 900 that never overclocked past 990... just wouldnt do it.

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

homerj

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I don't think its a thunderbird. According to a program on powerleap.com it says that the code name for the processor is Argon and it is a .25 micron. The number on the case of the processor reads AMD-K7700MTR51B C. I have only ripped the front part of the athlon case off, I haven't removed the part that the heatsink attaches to because once I remove that part I'm not sure exactly how to attach a heatsink. As for now I did upgrade the heatsink to a model that has 2 fans on it instead of 1.

homerj

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thats what I'm thinking. Do I have any other options for my Slot A motherboard? I know they make a converter for slot 1 boards, anythign like this for a slot a? Or would it be better/easier just to find an Athlon t-bird and use the GFD I already have?

TRENDING THREADS