Sign in with
Your question

Quick Question about my CPU Ratio BIOS setting

Last response: in Overclocking
April 8, 2003 7:55:18 AM

In a nutshell:

What is the CPU Ratio setting in my BIOS? (Settings go from 8.0 to 22.0)

Expanded:

I'm trying to get a bit of extra performance from my computer until I'm able to upgrade to a REAL processor and DDR ina few months. My specs:

1.7Ghz Celeron (400FSB @ 4x100Mhz)
Mobo: ECS P4VXASD2+
256 PC133 SDRAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4200

I've read that I can't increase my FSB via jumpers unless I remove or paint one of the pins on my CPU. I don't feel comfortable doing this. BIOS will not let me change FSB.

So what is the CPU Ratio? Will it effect my general computer performance? What do you suggest I set it to?

Thanks to anyone that replies. I'm a bit new to the overclocking thing, but i'm starting to get the hang of it i think.

More about : quick question cpu ratio bios setting

April 8, 2003 8:19:36 AM

Hi there, welcome to Tom's. :) 
The speed of your CPU is determined by the FSB (in your case 100) Times the cpu ratio (aka multiplier)
I'm guessing your multiplier is 17..
100Mhz x 17 = 1700Mhz or 1.7Ghz.

Changing the multiplier to 18 would give you 1.8Ghz and so on.

Be careful if you are going to do this though. Keep an eye on temperatures and be aware that if you set your cpu speed to high, your pc will not boot.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 9:29:41 AM

Hey thanks for repling. :o )

Well, that's weird. My CPU Ratio is currently set to 8.0. I don't think I'm running at 800Mhz. At least SANDRA and everything else doesnt say that.
Related resources
April 8, 2003 5:06:59 PM

I dont know about ratios, but unless he has an engineering sample, he wont be able to change the multiplier on any intel chip.

If I made a guess about the ratio, I would beleive it has something to do with the fsb:memory speed, as p4 and such run the memory quad pumped.

But then again, Ive really never dealt with ocing a p4, so what do I know :smile:

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
April 8, 2003 5:52:56 PM

Well if it is set to 8x inside the BIOS the CPU will just ignore that and run at 17x instead. All normal P4s/Celerons are locked and you wont be able to unlock them.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 9, 2003 4:20:14 PM

my bad ;)  sometimes its easy to forget about the other side as well. overlooked the intel thing. wasnt thinking. cheers ..

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>
October 20, 2013 12:58:06 AM

Wow... A 10 year old post O_O
May 29, 2014 3:54:36 PM

Wow... An 11 year old post ( )_( )
May 29, 2014 3:55:30 PM

Awwwww it's so cute how lame good computers were.
!