silverball

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I just bought GA-8INXP, and I just installed my P4 1,6GHz.
Everything was OK until I saw that temperature was from 47(when I turn on Computer) to 58*C (when I play games), and VCORE 1.826V?
CPU was at default, and cooler was Intel's.
I was wondering if anybody can tell me what is normal temp
for P4, and what should I do?????

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Those temps are not dangerous... P4s do run a little warm. But, they are on the high end of what I'd consider acceptable.

Check Intel's page for the correct vcore for your CPU. Use the CPUID utility to get the core code from the chip and look it up on the website. It is likely that you can turn the VCore down a bit and still have a stable system.

When you put on the heatsink did you follow the instructions <i>exactly</i>. Intel includes some heatsinks that use pre-applied thermal pads and others that use thermal compound... in either case not following the instructions can result in much higher temperatures.

Also, make sure your case is not restricting airflow. You want air moving in from the front of the case and out the back. Make sure you have not blocked the air intakes and be sure your exhaust fan at the back is running. Also, cover up unused rear exhaust holes as these can actually reduce airflow through the case as air flows into them backwards and simply finds the nearest fan. Without good airflow all the way through the case, the heat just builds up inside and nothing gets cooled properly.

If you can't get the temps down by these means, you may want to look into an aftermarket cooler with a lower thermal resistence rating... a TR anything less than .5 should work nicely.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well I have the same board and I have found that the temp monitoring using the easy tune utility is not very accurate... you should try an independent temp reading...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!