Sign in with
Your question

How to cool your case / how not to keep dust out!

Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2003 8:32:03 PM

<A HREF="http://www.moddin.net/gallery_case.asp?GalleryID=62" target="_new">This caught my eye over @ moddin.net</A>

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

More about : cool case dust

April 9, 2003 8:53:18 PM

ROFL!!!

Some people will do anything!

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
Related resources
April 10, 2003 2:54:30 AM

Don't laugh :-) At work I write software for embedded multimedia devices, and often we find ourselves running a prototype board with a 6-8 inch fan attached to keep things cool. Surprisingly the CPU is rarely the culprit, it's usually some strange 25-50 watt audio amplifier. There's *very* serious thermal modeling to make sure things stay the way they are supposed to...

ST
April 10, 2003 12:41:56 PM

That's a freakin' riot! Never seen a rig with a ceiling fan on it before.

War Eagle
April 10, 2003 12:53:43 PM

not a ceiling fan, I do believe its a fan for a car engine....

still funny as all hell though!

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
April 10, 2003 1:13:44 PM

Dude...I KNOW it's not LITERALLY a ceiling fan...
I was making a slight exaggeration in the name of humor.

*sigh*

War Eagle
April 10, 2003 3:15:11 PM

Its all good :wink:

Ive had some big fans on cases before (and really loud too!) but never of that magnitude. I wonder if the speed of the air cleans it out at the same time?

April 10, 2003 3:40:43 PM

Heh, if I was a piece of dust with my sights set on sticking to the interior of that case, I'd be terrified.

War Eagle
April 10, 2003 3:41:28 PM

prbably not - imagine the back-pressure that thing must create... with that case in order to have the air actually flow <i>through</i> the case you'd have to cut-out every single possible part from the case to let the air escape... And I thought I had it loud with my 2 Tornados, 1x120mm (104cfm@47db), aeroflow HSF@35db, dual fan Enermax, WD 2.5gig and maxtor 40gig (<- thats the louder hard drive too... stupid maxtor..)

Wonder if they'd be able to manufacture some mobos with venting holes through the PCB so that you could mount some giant fan on the case like that, make an appropriately sized hole on the other side of the case and it would vent right through the mobo!

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>
April 11, 2003 4:10:49 PM

Nah, holes in the mobo would make it harder to clean out what remains of the family cat.... :evil: 

April 11, 2003 4:23:28 PM

hahahahaha - would be funnier with the family hamster :wink:

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>
April 11, 2003 4:24:31 PM

Dont let Poobaa hear that...

April 11, 2003 4:32:26 PM

hahahaha, better than feedin his hamster to my Boa, muhuhahahah :lol: 

April 11, 2003 7:46:30 PM

Hammie vs. the Boa.... I can see a flash cartoon in the near future....

April 11, 2003 7:51:57 PM

hmmmm, as long as you're the one who knows how to design flash animation :wink: ... wonder, hamster with a ninja sword, ehehehe, he might be able to take Mr. Snake (yeah, thats his name :tongue: )

April 11, 2003 7:54:59 PM

Dunno flash, but my gf knows swish, which is along the same lines.

April 11, 2003 8:39:51 PM

hmmmm, think she'd be willing to give animatin somethin a try ? give everyone here a good laugh

April 11, 2003 10:32:00 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Freaking hilarious.

"Armageddon!"

I like ole Robert D.

War Eagle
!