How to cool your case / how not to keep dust out!

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.moddin.net/gallery_case.asp?GalleryID=62" target="_new">This caught my eye over @ moddin.net</A>

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
hahahaaaa that's nice

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

samtesla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
Don't laugh :) At work I write software for embedded multimedia devices, and often we find ourselves running a prototype board with a 6-8 inch fan attached to keep things cool. Surprisingly the CPU is rarely the culprit, it's usually some strange 25-50 watt audio amplifier. There's *very* serious thermal modeling to make sure things stay the way they are supposed to...

ST

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
not a ceiling fan, I do believe its a fan for a car engine....

still funny as all hell though!

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Its all good :wink:

Ive had some big fans on cases before (and really loud too!) but never of that magnitude. I wonder if the speed of the air cleans it out at the same time?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
prbably not - imagine the back-pressure that thing must create... with that case in order to have the air actually flow <i>through</i> the case you'd have to cut-out every single possible part from the case to let the air escape... And I thought I had it loud with my 2 Tornados, 1x120mm (104cfm@47db), aeroflow HSF@35db, dual fan Enermax, WD 2.5gig and maxtor 40gig (<- thats the louder hard drive too... stupid maxtor..)

Wonder if they'd be able to manufacture some mobos with venting holes through the PCB so that you could mount some giant fan on the case like that, make an appropriately sized hole on the other side of the case and it would vent right through the mobo!

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Nah, holes in the mobo would make it harder to clean out what remains of the family cat.... :evil:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
hahahahaha - would be funnier with the family hamster :wink:

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Dont let Poobaa hear that...

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
hahahaha, better than feedin his hamster to my Boa, muhuhahahah :lol:

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Hammie vs. the Boa.... I can see a flash cartoon in the near future....

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
hmmmm, as long as you're the one who knows how to design flash animation :wink: ... wonder, hamster with a ninja sword, ehehehe, he might be able to take Mr. Snake (yeah, thats his name :tongue: )

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Dunno flash, but my gf knows swish, which is along the same lines.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
hmmmm, think she'd be willing to give animatin somethin a try ? give everyone here a good laugh

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Speaking of hamsters...
I found this on an online part vendor's download site...

<A HREF="http://www.totalpcparts.com/downloads/armagedon.wav" target="_new">http://www.totalpcparts.com/downloads/armagedon.wav</A>

Be warned... <b>not for kids!</b>

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---