antenna going up in my town a few questions

Ok verizon is putting an antenna up in my town this summer or fall. Now does
this mean they will begin offering local numbers in this area and drop the
alltel extended service area roaming agreement for my town or will i still
have to get a pittsburgh,pa or washington,pa number if I go with verizon.
Also how long does it take from the time they ask permission for an antenna
until it is functional and will it have the vcast service on it since it's
new?
thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about antenna town questions

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:51:17 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
    <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Ok verizon is putting an antenna up in my town this summer or fall.

    Which in VZW speak means anytime within the next three years. What is
    your source for this info?

    >Now does
    >this mean they will begin offering local numbers in this area and drop the
    >alltel extended service area roaming agreement for my town or will i still
    >have to get a pittsburgh,pa or washington,pa number if I go with verizon.

    Again, I have to refer to the source. If it was VZW, what did they
    say? If VZW is putting native service in an area, it's logical to
    assume they will offer numbers local to that area.

    >Also how long does it take from the time they ask permission for an antenna
    >until it is functional

    That depends greatly on a number of factors, including, but not
    limited to:

    1. Local zoning/permitting requirements.
    2. The construction schedule of the tower owner. Few cell providers
    put up towers. They lease space from tower companies, like Crown
    Communication, or National Wireless Construction.
    3. VZW's own technician schedules.
    4. Legal arrangements for changes in roaming agreements.

    I've seen sites go live within weeks of a decision, and I've seen some
    take many, many months. It took almost 2 years from the time VZW said
    they had decided to put a tower near me until the thing actually went
    live. The tower went up rather quickly, and Cingular was already
    leasing the 300' slot when VZW finally put their antennas up at 290'.

    >and will it have the vcast service on it since it's
    >new?

    VCAST is available in 30 cities. You can see the list here:

    http://getitnow.vzwshop.com/vcast.learn.coverage.do

    Both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are on that list. If you are in one
    of those markets, then it probably will be available.

    it was in the local paper two weeks ago that verizon wireless approached the
    water board wanting to put an antenna up on a water tank that is scheduled
    to be replaced next year or the year after. The water board asked if they
    wanted to wait til the new tank went up but verizon said no they want to put
    it on the old tank then transfer it to the new one when the time comes.
    I live 40 miles west of pittsburgh so is that close enough for vcast to be
    on the antenna?
    "The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:51:17 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
    > <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok verizon is putting an antenna up in my town this summer or fall.
    >
    > Which in VZW speak means anytime within the next three years. What is
    > your source for this info?
    >
    >>Now does
    >>this mean they will begin offering local numbers in this area and drop the
    >>alltel extended service area roaming agreement for my town or will i still
    >>have to get a pittsburgh,pa or washington,pa number if I go with verizon.
    >
    > Again, I have to refer to the source. If it was VZW, what did they
    > say? If VZW is putting native service in an area, it's logical to
    > assume they will offer numbers local to that area.
    >
    >>Also how long does it take from the time they ask permission for an
    >>antenna
    >>until it is functional
    >
    > That depends greatly on a number of factors, including, but not
    > limited to:
    >
    > 1. Local zoning/permitting requirements.
    > 2. The construction schedule of the tower owner. Few cell providers
    > put up towers. They lease space from tower companies, like Crown
    > Communication, or National Wireless Construction.
    > 3. VZW's own technician schedules.
    > 4. Legal arrangements for changes in roaming agreements.
    >
    > I've seen sites go live within weeks of a decision, and I've seen some
    > take many, many months. It took almost 2 years from the time VZW said
    > they had decided to put a tower near me until the thing actually went
    > live. The tower went up rather quickly, and Cingular was already
    > leasing the 300' slot when VZW finally put their antennas up at 290'.
    >
    >>and will it have the vcast service on it since it's
    >>new?
    >
    > VCAST is available in 30 cities. You can see the list here:
    >
    > http://getitnow.vzwshop.com/vcast.learn.coverage.do
    >
    > Both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are on that list. If you are in one
    > of those markets, then it probably will be available.

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:12:17 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
    <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:

    >it was in the local paper two weeks ago that verizon wireless approached the
    >water board wanting to put an antenna up on a water tank that is scheduled
    >to be replaced next year or the year after. The water board asked if they
    >wanted to wait til the new tank went up but verizon said no they want to put
    >it on the old tank then transfer it to the new one when the time comes.
    >I live 40 miles west of pittsburgh so is that close enough for vcast to be
    >on the antenna?

    Call VZW customer service, give them your zip code, and ask them if it
    will be in the Pittsburgh market. They *should* be able to tell you
    if that site will support VCAST. If not, ask to speak with the data
    department.

    Since the "tower" structure is already completed, I would expect that
    site to be online within 3-4 months. It doesn't sound like the local
    governmental body is going to be adding any delay to that process.

    does this mean that once the antenna is on the water tower and online this
    summer that they will be able to provide me with a local exchange or doesn't
    this have to do with the ability of a local exchange?
    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:12:17 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
    > <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>it was in the local paper two weeks ago that verizon wireless approached
    >>the
    >>water board wanting to put an antenna up on a water tank that is scheduled
    >>to be replaced next year or the year after. The water board asked if they
    >>wanted to wait til the new tank went up but verizon said no they want to
    >>put
    >>it on the old tank then transfer it to the new one when the time comes.
    >>I live 40 miles west of pittsburgh so is that close enough for vcast to be
    >>on the antenna?
    >
    > Call VZW customer service, give them your zip code, and ask them if it
    > will be in the Pittsburgh market. They *should* be able to tell you
    > if that site will support VCAST. If not, ask to speak with the data
    > department.
    >
    > Since the "tower" structure is already completed, I would expect that
    > site to be online within 3-4 months. It doesn't sound like the local
    > governmental body is going to be adding any delay to that process.

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 18:15:49 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
    <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:

    >does this mean that once the antenna is on the water tower and online this
    >summer that they will be able to provide me with a local exchange or doesn't
    >this have to do with the ability of a local exchange?

    As I said, one would presume that if VZW was adding *native* coverage
    in an area, that they would offer local service in that area, also.
    It isn't a given, but that's usually how it works. Call VZW and ask.
    Don't stop with the first rep you speak with. Keep going until you
    find someone who actually knows about that particular site being
    erected.

    It took almost 1 1/2 years to fire up a tower built in my town in north
    Jersey.

    "michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Ok verizon is putting an antenna up in my town this summer or fall. Now
    does
    > this mean they will begin offering local numbers in this area and drop the
    > alltel extended service area roaming agreement for my town or will i still
    > have to get a pittsburgh,pa or washington,pa number if I go with verizon.
    > Also how long does it take from the time they ask permission for an
    antenna
    > until it is functional and will it have the vcast service on it since it's
    > new?
    > thanks

Verizon Internet Service Providers