Let's assume... (quick OC question)

AltKey

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Let's assume for a minute that I managed to track down one of these fantastically overclockable Athlon XP 1700's, and also that I managed to overclock it like a bazillion megahertz. My question is this: will overclocking your chip to the point of thermal death cause your motherboard to go kaput as well (assuming it doesn't have an auto-shutoff feature)? I'd hate to buy a cheap chip thinking that I'm saving money only to crank it up and lose both it and my motherboard. Thanks in advance for the info.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well the trick is <i>avoiding</i> thermal death dude, hence a gazilion cooling fans

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

AltKey

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Heh, of course. But this is only theoretical, so when you're flying at a bazillion megahertz over stock clock speeds, anything goes. :p

I guess I should just spend a little extra for a faster chip then, right? That's fine by me. Better safe than sorry.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well it depends on your budget - i mean, we'd all love an athlon 2900 w/barton core, but its unaffordable. the point is pulling that extra bit of performance from what you can afford or are willing to spend... and its fun messin around with the hardware n seein what you can do for yourself, i guess its kind of a hobby :smile:

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
nah man a fried chip doesn't mean a fried motherboard
a power surge or somethin like that will fry your motherboard

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

svol

Champion
Not completely true. If you have really bad luck and the chip gets really hot it can also melt stuff on your motherboard. But with a desent fan you wont have to worry.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: