Sign in with
Your question

Assassin's Creed III low FPS

Last response: in Video Games
November 21, 2012 3:33:55 AM

guys i've an gtx 660 it runs great with all new games (BF3, Crysis 2 , Metro ) and it gives more than about 60 FPS when playing BF3 on Ultra but when i tested assassin's creed III the results were terrible i cant exceed the 25 FPS even if i made the game run on Mid Settings .
PS I'm using the new driver 310.54 Beta !!!!
November 21, 2012 4:10:19 AM

What is the rest of your hardware?
m
l
November 21, 2012 4:20:13 AM

AMD PHENOM II X4 @3.2
4 gb Ram DDR3
m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2012 6:22:16 AM

Game is definitely not optimized!

I rage when I saw the fps drop to the mid 30's
when I entered Boston.

Gpu usage went from 95+% to 20%-50% and spiked like crazy...

My specs:
i7-980x@ 4.3 GHz
Corsair Vengenence 12GB DDR3
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Ultra X4 1200W PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX690 4096MB GDDR5 512bit x2 ( Quad Sli Enabled)
m
l
November 21, 2012 10:22:10 AM

and ur specs should make u run the game and get more than 100 FPS undoubtely i hope they r gonna fiz this bug in the next update Cuz the game is really unplayble in BOSTON City :( 
m
l
November 21, 2012 10:31:40 AM

my guess its the nvidia drivers. i managed to max everything out on my aging pc and i get 30+ minimum in boston... here has been the odd droop when a set piece loads like eagle vision from a view point but genrally running about the game is silky smooth...
i would say if your not playing blops 2 then switch back to none beta drivers and see if your fps picks up. beta drivers tend to have game specific updates in them that can reduce performance on other titles.
m
l
November 21, 2012 10:36:08 AM

well it seems like im gonna try to use the old driver but the strange thing is that Nvidia released this beta driver espicially for Assassin's Creed III and Black Ops II
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:17:03 PM

I'm having poor performance as well, on the ship I would get constant microstuttering, 60fps down to 10 fps for a split second, but when I reached boston the framerate would go as low as 15 fps, crossfire doesn't work either, I even tried to force alternate frame rendering but the second card did nothing. What surprised me is that even with that horrible framerate my GPU was only at 20% load.

My specs:
i7 2600K
16GB RAM
2x HD6970 2GB.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:11:42 PM

Ubisoft really Sucks the game was released for the xbox and PS about 20 dayz later and the game was bugged and they released the PC version which i thought it's gonna be fine and it also have bugs not only the low FPS i also can't hear any of the voicechats between the characters so i can't figure out what i'm doing in the game :) 
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:28:11 AM

Sandouby_96 said:
guys i've an gtx 660 it runs great with all new games (BF3, Crysis 2 , Metro ) and it gives more than about 60 FPS when playing BF3 on Ultra but when i tested assassin's creed III the results were terrible i cant exceed the 25 FPS even if i made the game run on Mid Settings .

Be lucky i cant even get 5 fps, like literally. I would be happy to have 25fps

specs:
Intel Celeron cpu 450 @2.20GHz 2.19 GHz
2gb ram
Intel g41 chipset
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:00:53 AM

I'm guessing NVidia drivers too. I generally don't drop below 50 FPS, and my OCed 7870 is obviously a lot less powerful than SLIed 690s. :p 
m
l
November 22, 2012 3:06:03 AM

voiidwulf said:
I'm guessing NVidia drivers too. I generally don't drop below 50 FPS, and my OCed 7870 is obviously a lot less powerful than SLIed 690s. :p 

i've asked my friend who have an AMD Card about the FPS and he told me that he gets Terrible FPSs Too !!!
m
l
November 22, 2012 3:17:41 AM

Same here...i just entered Boston and fps dropped from 55 to 18...and gpu usage went from 97-98 to 20-30%..
m
l
November 22, 2012 4:45:05 AM

I'm getting 55-60fps in boston on max settings (except shadow is only on high) @ 1680x1050. However once I was out of Boston into the forest area with lots of trees and shadow details, my FPS went down to the high 30s/low 40s.

I think the optimization for this game was a lot better than AC:Revelations, I couldn't even hit 50fps while standing on a rooftop in that one.
m
l
November 22, 2012 6:58:10 AM

just started playing it and yeah for about 5 mins at the start of a new fame there is a small stutter every few seconds. it does smooth out on my 5870 which i managed to run the game at max 1920/1080 turning the shadows down a bit does help or you can run the game on normal settings rather than high or ultra... still looks pretty good at them settings also.
m
l
November 22, 2012 7:58:28 AM

So aside from the FPS issues, does anybody have the typical texture shimmering in the distance when you're running around? It's been in every AC game I've played.
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:16:44 PM

I play all assasin creed games, on pc. It suck on the first 2 weeks, so many bug and glitches, it normal it think for this game, just wait around 1 more weeks, i read it somewhere a big patch gonna release, hope it will help u and me at the same time.

But i can gurantee there will be something missing on the patch and only will be resolve on the 2-3 patch.
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:51:31 PM

AT LAST FOUND A WAY TO FIX LOW FPS IN BOSTON AND FRONTIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have a amd 4500m apu with 7640g(apu)+7670m(discrete) dual graphics.........
i was frustated earlier with the game performance and found out it was not only me....

So now either the game is perfectly fine after sequence 4....just before connor is handed over his uniform OR
this works

try this trick if you can....................

disable dual graphics mode from amd driver and run only on APU......just that

with dual graphics enabled my specs. from gpuz
7670m(discrete) max load=60%
7640g(apu) max load=90%

after dual graphics disabled
7670m(discrete) max load=94%
7640g max load=95%

please let everybody know if this works 4 u..........i am amazingly happy now:cool:
[/FONT]
:bounce:  :love:  :p  :p 
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:51:53 PM

AT LAST FOUND A WAY TO FIX LOW FPS IN BOSTON AND FRONTIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have a amd 4500m apu with 7640g(apu)+7670m(discrete) dual graphics.........
i was frustated earlier with the game performance and found out it was not only me....

So now either the game is perfectly fine after sequence 4....just before connor is handed over his uniform OR
this works

try this trick if you can....................

disable dual graphics mode from amd driver and run only on APU......just that

with dual graphics enabled my specs. from gpuz
7670m(discrete) max load=60%
7640g(apu) max load=90%

after dual graphics disabled
7670m(discrete) max load=94%
7640g max load=95%

please let everybody know if this works 4 u..........i am amazingly happy now:cool:
[/FONT]
:bounce:  :love:  :p  :p 
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2012 3:42:19 PM

Could you post more specific tutorial on how to do that?
m
l
November 22, 2012 9:29:41 PM

I believe his fix is only for systems that have an integrated + dedicated GPU (common in laptops nowadays).
m
l
November 23, 2012 3:52:20 PM

there are posts on the official ubisoft forums concerning this matter ..
here forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727583-Assassin-s-Creed-III-fps-drop-in-Boston
here http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/728161-Assassin-s-...

still absolutely no way to get through it .. i hope they release a patch really soon
This is outrageous :D 
m
l
Anonymous
November 23, 2012 5:36:53 PM

This should help a bit but it still won't be perfect:

Right click on AC3SP then go to properties > compatibility then tick the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box. That should take you from 25 fps to around 40 fps (it did for me anyway).

But yeah like the others have said I hope they patch it soon too. :) 
m
l
November 24, 2012 3:38:02 AM

u can also turn vsync off and and use everything in normal...gave me steady 28-30 fps..game doesn't look great..but atleast u can play it without all the lag....change vsync value to "0" in .ini file...it can be found here..

C:\Users\Username\Documents\Assassin's Creed III

change the setting to read only after that cause the game will turn it back on if u don't make it read only
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:39:25 AM

This problem has nothing to do with GPU i think. My gpu load dropped to 20% in Boston city area. I also checked cpu load and this is the problem. The first core has 100% load, the second and third +-40% load and the 4th only 10% load.

Also at 3.4 Ghz i only get about 15fps, but when i overclock to 4.5 Ghz i get 30 fps. So the problem is definitely CPU related. Seems like this game was not tested very much on pc... Petty because it looks rather good.
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:58:40 PM

Hello tomshardware guys.Im just registred to this great forum.Hope i have good moments here with you gentlemans. :) 
BTW i think it comes from the extreme cpu-intensive nature of this game.In boston we see thousand of people and gaurds and ets.All these things consumes cpu power.I always have 99% gpu usage in games but in this one it never comes beyond 85%.In the other hands all cores of my cpu are +95%.in boston the frame goes less than 30 (to 29-28) which is a pain in the backdoor for me.i always managed to play games at 30 FPS.BTW Take a look at this video of my gameplay if you interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5pkqWP10pA&feature=yout...

All the best
Sina
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:31:03 PM

hafijur said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt44nS-_pZk

A basic laptop dual core with ht and 650m that consumes like 80w electricity total plays this fine. Amd cpu's are to slow

There are intel fan boys everywhere.Well its what u think intel lover but according to the respected ventage my cpu is faster than i3 2120 and that cpu recommended by this site as a good gaming cpu a few monthes ago.Here:

m
l
November 26, 2012 5:15:06 PM

Your CPU is quad core. Which means you get 2806 score per core. i3 is dual core, that means 5324 score per core. Now take into account the fact that most games don't use more than 2 cores and you'll realize why AMD CPUs are bad for gaming.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:47:11 AM

Sunius said:
Your CPU is quad core. Which means you get 2806 score per core. i3 is dual core, that means 5324 score per core. Now take into account the fact that most games don't use more than 2 cores and you'll realize why AMD CPUs are bad for gaming.

LOL.Even the 4 years old Prototype used 4 cores.So how u tell that most games dont use more than 2 cores?Please name those games.
Plus i3 is dual but has 4 threades.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:54:17 AM

Having 4 threads is irrelevant. The two games that use 4 cores are Battlefield 3 and GTA 4. Rest of them use just 2 cores mostly.

Take skyrim for example: a game that is most often limited by the CPU.

It doesn't scale with more cores. However, when you make those 2 cores faster:

And that is the reason AMD CPUs suck for gaming.
m
l
December 9, 2012 3:30:14 PM

You are a real looser for just saying things like that, and i'll tell you why:

A game doesn't work with hardware, but with software; so no use talking about cores. Let's talk about threads.

For a Intel Dual Core you have 4 threads.
Same for AMD Quad Core, 4 threads.

That is so demonstrating how bad your arg was there. That is NOT the reason why you can say "AMD GAMING BAD"

Nor will you say "AMD is soooo bad that Intel Dual Core equals Amd Quad" since even if that is the case for game, the two cores of Intel CPU and the four cores of Amd CPU take the same place on a motherboard.

Things change for software other than games, heavily threaded, giving advantage to AMD's choice, but that's not the subject here.

What you CAN say for sure is "INTEL HAS BETTER HIGHEND CPU THAN AMD". Well yeah, you can say that, and they are so expensive and meaningless for playing because AMD cpu's are already more than enough.

Yeah guys, if you don't have a 40" screen, you'll be able to play to nearly everything with any cpu (dual, quad, intel, amd..) having a decent GPU, which is doing way more work in your game than your cpu really does.

This topic is not about a CPU low performance but about a GPU low performance.

You know why? Because when a game is published, they doesn't publish a CPU DRIVER in order to resolve bugs and low fps issues... but GPU DRIVER.

So instead of trolling your "hello look my stats which are showing that my cpus are soo better than yours" which btw doesn't help anyone in something called a TOPIC where the aim is to provide HELP to each other, you can start a new life: start by learning more about what you're talking about, and focus on the subject. And DO NOT follow others when you see that it doesn't stack anything good on a subject..

Anyway, I got something for low FPS on AMD's side:

There's a serious problem with CrossFireX for this game, meaning your fps won't fly high 'til you set off your dual gpu. I'm using only a discret card and it's working a lot more (even if it's not beautiful.)

Not a driver issue, more a CAP issue or a game issue i think.

For others, just wait for a patch from Ubisoft.

Good luck anyone.
m
l
December 18, 2012 2:18:49 AM

Kynn said:

A game doesn't work with hardware, but with software; so no use talking about cores. Let's talk about threads.

That is so demonstrating how bad your arg was there. That is NOT the reason why you can say "AMD GAMING BAD"

Nor will you say "AMD is soooo bad that Intel Dual Core equals Amd Quad" since even if that is the case for game, the two cores of Intel CPU and the four cores of Amd CPU take the same place on a motherboard.

Things change for software other than games, heavily threaded, giving advantage to AMD's choice, but that's not the subject here.

What you CAN say for sure is "INTEL HAS BETTER HIGHEND CPU THAN AMD". Well yeah, you can say that, and they are so expensive and meaningless for playing because AMD cpu's are already more than enough.

Yeah guys, if you don't have a 40" screen, you'll be able to play to nearly everything with any cpu (dual, quad, intel, amd..) having a decent GPU, which is doing way more work in your game than your cpu really does.

You know why? Because when a game is published, they doesn't publish a CPU DRIVER in order to resolve bugs and low fps issues... but GPU DRIVER.

So instead of trolling your "hello look my stats which are showing that my cpus are soo better than yours" which btw doesn't help anyone in something called a TOPIC where the aim is to provide HELP to each other, you can start a new life: start by learning more about what you're talking about, and focus on the subject. And DO NOT follow others when you see that it doesn't stack anything good on a subject..

There's a serious problem with CrossFireX for this game, meaning your fps won't fly high 'til you set off your dual gpu. I'm using only a discret card and it's working a lot more (even if it's not beautiful.)

Good luck anyone.

I completely agree with the crossfire problem. Before I had 2 5870 x-fired while trying to playing this game and my fps would drop to around 10-15 while in the forest. Now with x-fire disabled and only running 1 5870 my fps is around 40-50. Huge improvement.
m
l
December 18, 2012 2:32:45 AM

Kynn said:

Good luck anyone.

Are you kidding? Your post is littered with blatant lies. "A game doesn't work with hardware, but with software." What is that even supposed to mean? Obviously performance depends on hardware. A core is completely different from a thread. You don't know what you are talking about.
m
l
January 2, 2013 3:39:13 AM

batman2 said:
Game is definitely not optimized!

I rage when I saw the fps drop to the mid 30's
when I entered Boston.

Gpu usage went from 95+% to 20%-50% and spiked like crazy...

My specs:
i7-980x@ 4.3 GHz
Corsair Vengenence 12GB DDR3
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Ultra X4 1200W PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX690 4096MB GDDR5 512bit x2 ( Quad Sli Enabled)

Your info is useful. Mine gpu usage goes to 20% too in boston. I thought its a cpu bottleneck. Can you post opera house gpu usage? Or anybody?
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:19:22 AM

my biostar geforce 210 play very good with ac3. i think ubi doesnt optimized the game with super pc...
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:19:43 AM

my biostar geforce 210 play very good with ac3. i think ubi doesnt optimized the game with super pc...
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:26:38 AM

lol
m
l
January 3, 2013 10:15:59 AM

guysss plzz i need the original ac3sp.exe file! i messed with it and cant install the patch noww! can any1 plz send me a link?
m
l
January 11, 2013 9:13:51 AM

hey guys there is nothing to do but now i found that when u change the graphics in the like the resolutions to 800x600
the game works just dont put the shadow quality on very high/
hope this helped :o  :pt1cable:  :) 
m
l
July 4, 2013 9:19:16 PM

Ok guys, Iam not sure if this works, but it worked for me.

Software Reqiurements:
1 Evga Presicion X http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5348-evga-precision-x...
2 MSI Afterburner event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
3 Intel Extreme Tuning Utiliy https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?Dwnld...

Steps:

1: Run Evga Presion X. Now, its the GPU Clock (GPU overclock) we want to change. So, set it 100 MHZ more than the default value.(For example if the default value is 810, change it to 910) Tick the box next to "Windows Startup" click apply and dont close the application, instead just minimize it. Ah, yes GPU overclocking finished. (Setting this option more than that specified will cause GPU problems)

2: Run the MSI Afterburner. Over here its the Memory Clock
and Fan Speed we want to change. Set the Memory Clock to the highest value and fan speed to hunderd percent (100 %) and click Apply and dont forget to check the box next to "Apply Overclocking at system Startup" before minimizing the application.

3: Before this stage you have to make sure that your CPU is overclockable. Once you are sure, open the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and go to manual tuning. Increase the CPU Multiplier by 1.0 than the default value (for example if the CPU Multiplier is 2.7, change it to 3.7) and than scroll down untill you see RAM Multiplier. Set it to the highest possible value and than click Apply. Reboot/Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. (This is a very dangerous task to do. Do not alter any other settings)

1. Open Nvidia Control Panel. Tick the box next to Use the advanced 3D image settings. Click Take me there.
2. Ensure that your settings are optimized like this:
a) Ambient Occlusion- Performance
b) Anisotropic Filtering- 2x
c) Antialiasing FXAA- On
d) Antialiasing Gamma correction- On
e) Antialiasing Mode- Enhance the application setting
f) Antialiasing Setting- 4x
g) Antialiasing Transparency- 4x (supersample)
h) CUBA - GPUs- All
i) Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames- [the highest you get]
j) Power management mode- Prefer Maximum performance
k) Texture Filtering- Anisotropic Sample Optimization- On
l) Texture Filtering- Negetive LOD bias- Allow
m) Texture Filtering- Quality- High Performance
n) Texture Filtering- Trilinear optimization- On
o) Threaded Optimization- On
p) Triple Buffering- On
q) Vertical Sync- Adaptive
m
l
March 22, 2014 9:41:17 PM

Sandouby_96 said:

same problem with me i am gettin 20 fps WTF when i installed the game i thought that it is designed so that i can give the felling of headache that desmond had after he fainted and the felling of animus but when i checked with fraps it broke my heart
MY RIG
i3 530 2.9 ghz OC to 3.1
2*2 1333 ddr3 oc to i dont remember the frequency
GTX 650 ti 1gb ddr5 zotac
i am actually playing the game just now
when i minimised it for couple of minutes i gave me around 40 fps then suddenly down to 10 fps
Frames: 148 - Time: 8440ms - Avg: 17.536 - Min: 16 - Max: 21
m
l
!