Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
hi,
i want too overclock my cpu its at 42C at idle and 48C extreme gaming,

stats
amd XP +2100 palomino
MSI K7N2-L motherboard
512ddram

i did try too overclock it, at 13*142 it cant boot.
what shuld i do too be able too get it a bit higher then that. i know its a palomino and isnt good for overclocking but could i overclock it more without brake something, im new too overclocking :)

-- max

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
you can try a lower FSB and unlocking your multiplyer by joining the L1 bridges... Tom has a video on it

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well basically, when you tried your FSB at 143 x 13, your CPU speed <i>should have been</i> 1,859Mhz, but if you cannot bring your FSB very high (try 139Mhz), then unlocking the bridges (see <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011124/index.html" target="_new">here</A>) will allow you to change the multiplyer from 13 to whatever your heart desires (well, almost..)... basically, you <i>should</i>, i repeat <b>should</b> (no guarantees) be able to go up to a multiplyer of 15 (which means FSB133 x 15 = 1,995Mhz) without needing to change the heatsink, but its more of a trial and error thing at that point (for temperatures anyways). Anyways, check-out the video, and take it from there. If you got any more questions dont hesitate to ask :smile:

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

haxmax

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
hmm, could i increase the voltage too just do it by fsb first? and test? doing it like that is my second choice.
or how shuld i do it in another way? is it possible with palomino

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well it MIGHT help to up the voltage just slightly when upping the FSB, but i really don't think it'll allow you to boot up anyways, it's probably an issue with the RAM or any other component that gets nice and tempermental when OCing...
but aren't you using a athlon with Palamino core now? if its a thouroughbred then you don't need to unlcok the bridges, it comes factory unlocked (well the T-bred version B anyways)..
otherwise thats it... i mean, i know that i can't go past 139Mhz FSB with my Palamino 1600+ and my MSI KT3Ultra motherboard (Samsung 333Mhz RAM), and I know its not the RAM or anything obvious (i've tried quite a few things)... now, I'm selling my CPU and getting an Athlon 2200 (T-Bred) so I won't necessarily have to wory about that anymore, but like i said, there's so many variables that can affect an OC that its just hard to tell whats what, in which case not touching the FSB and unlocking the multiplyer is the next best thing... besides, if you f#ck up don't worry (as in if it won't post), you can always wipe it all off clean and get your CPU back the way it was originally.

haxmax

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
i go tthe multiplier thing, and it can only go too where i am now, 13

and i got a palomino yes a 2100 ;o

shuld i go down with it too for example 10x190

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well yeah, without unlocking you won't be able to use a multiplyer higher than 13... putting the multiplyer down to 10 and the FSB to 190 MIGHT work, probably not though, but by all means, try it out

haxmax

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
if it worked would it go fast?
does the 10X mean somethign , and the 13X
and shuld i try a higher vcore or and something else if that dosnt work?, and does the heat increase that much

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well basically, you calculate CPU speed (in Mhz) by multiplying the FSB by the multiplyer, therefore (like you had asked), a multiplyer of 10 and an FSB of 190 would be 10x190=1,900Mhz. Basically, the FSB will increase the bus speeds of anything running through your motherboard's NorthBridge (the chip just below the CPU that has a heatsink and might have a little fan on it). Basically, your RAM, CPU and IDE devices all pass through there when functioning, so increasing the FSB increases all of their interaction speeds, but thats why I had mentioned that increasing the FSB can lead to random issues with hardware, since it affect so many of the components. Increasing the VCore is only necessary if you're increasing either the multiplyer or the FSB (or both), as it might allow you to overclock a little more.
Oh, and yes, it will heat up more - just how much depends on how much you overclock, but i do suggest that you make sure your temperatures remain below 55*C just to be safe. Also, its important to have sufficient case cooling - case fans are a must.

Now, if it doesn't work, and you don't want to join the L1 bridges of the CPU there's nothing else you can do to overclock the CPU..

haxmax

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
okey, i got 2 case fans
and im not sure about my cpu fan i know it goes at 3000rpm.
and is there a way too only up the cpu fsb?
and what im asking if that with a smaller multiplier
like 10x190, is it any diffrent then 1x1900 for example, you gt the point heh, and whats the diffrence

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well basically, when you up your FSB it speeds up the interation speeds between your CPU and a bunch of your hardware, which is done through the Northbridge... now, the thing is, if you only overclock using the FSB (which you CAN do), it may not allow you to boot because of certain hardware just not working with those settings, like you originally saw.

As for yur fans, that should be fine, just make sure your cpu stays cool enough and its fine.

now, the diff between a multiplyer of 1 and an fsb of 1900, and a multiplyer of 10 with a fsb of 190 follows with the fact that your other hardware wouldn't be able to run at that higher fsb. modern CPUs are simply rated at a certain FSB, and the multiplyer is simply the setting allowing you to run at the proper speeds - now as for history behind the reason that cpu speed is set like that, i couldn't tell you, i don't know. ... for now, like i said, try upping your FSB as much as you can while still running stable, and watch you temps (keep 'em under 50*C idle), you can try addin a couple of 0.05 volt increments to help out, but otherwise not much else to do

haxmax

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
okey, i managed too reach 141 fsb, when i put a very very small vcore increase the smallest, thats 100mhz, and its very stable 53 at hardcore gaming, 48-50 idle,
im gonna try too higher it up a bit, it seems stable i ran 3dmark 03 , 5 times it ran smooth thru it all and i played some ut 2k3 and everything ran greate and after i had 53C.
could i higher the vcore more if possible? its at 1.775 now, it was at 1.750 befor could i go too 1.800 if it was stable at this? is it dangerus for the card you think too have it on hardcore gaming at 60C, (befor i put in another case fan it ran smooth at 65C gaming)

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well, you can try upping the VCore one more notch, but having temps of 65*C are a little hot for me... Even if you hit 60*C I would try and aim for lower... I keep my Athlon 1600+ (Palamino core) at about 34*C idle and 41*C under load (ie UnrealTournament2003, and a whole slew of other running programs)... remember that your CPU is only rated for up to 90*C, and that is exhageration on AMD's part by far... BUT, if it runs stable, then its fine, basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it - the second you notice glitches, stop and bring it down to the last stable point you were running it at. You also gotta figure that running your CPU 100Mhz faster isn't the biggest performance boost in the world, and weigh-out the temps vs the speed increase - at 100Mhz faster, do you even notive the difference?

haxmax

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
yes i ran some tests i got 45points more on 3dmark03
100mhz isnt much, i managed too run it at 13x144 at 1.775 vcore, but it didnt run stable for example on ut2k3, but for some reason on the harder test 3mark03.. hmm .. , well ill test some...
and will a higher vcore like 1.800 brake something i dont know if the heat is okey, the vcore can be used right?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by haxmax on 04/11/03 03:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well, if it doesn't overheat then its fine to up the VCore a lil, but don't overdo it because you can damage the CPU, but 1.8 is still fine... as for the 3D-mark vs UT2k3, unreal is a game, while 3d-mark is simply a benchmark which attempts to simulate game performance requirements - thats the difference. Besides, 3D-mark doesn't use the UR2k3 engine, and therefore the graphics architexture is different enough to vary the performance and scores the way it did