Safely overclocking a 1900+

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
How far can one safely overclock an Athlon XP 1900+ without upgrading to a new heatsink/fan. I bought this CPU retail last year, so I used the stock paste on the CPU and the stock heatsink/fan.

I read an article at users.bigpond.net where this exact CPU was overclocked to

12.5x144=1800
1.65 and then back to 1.6 Volts
How hot would this be running?

I would like a safe, mild overclock that does not push my AGP above 75 or my PCI above 37.5. And i can upgrade my heatsink/fan... I already have three fans in my case, not incliding ones on my cpu, fsb, and agp card.

Anyone want to weigh in on overclocked systems and video editing? I have a firewire card and a Sony MiniDV...

I was also pissed when I learned the 333 was for Ram only and I cannot use a 333 fsb cpu with this otherwise great motherboard.

WXP
AMD Athlon 1900+ @ 1.6 GHz
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra
512 MB PC 2700@333
ATI Radeon 7500 64 MB

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Correction...I have a palomino, a different cpu than the thoroughbred discussed in the article listed above... drat.

And because I have a RAID set up for video editing, I am starting to get queasy about overclocking at all, unless this system will leave my PCI bus alone. I should be happy with 1.6 GHz, right! I am still just mad that one of these newer XP CPUs with a 166 fsb will not work on my motherboard, after the price drops quite a bit more. But I bet I am joining a big club!

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

svol

Champion
166Mhz Athlon XPs should work on KT333 chipsets.

Anyway back to the overclocking... if you want to keep the PCI and AGP speeds that low you better don't pass the 148 MHz FSB (giving 37 MHz PCI and 74 MHz AGP). This should give you 12*148=1776 MHz CPU. I'm not sure if your current HSF would be able to handle that though... so you should increase the FSB slowly and keep watching the CPU temps.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: