Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

verizon prices

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 10:18:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hi -
Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones? How come you
often see two phones, similar features, but from different cell phone
vendors - and they're priced so differently?

Thanks -
Susan

More about : verizon prices

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:19:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi -
> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones? How come you
> often see two phones, similar features, but from different cell phone
> vendors - and they're priced so differently?
>
> Thanks -
> Susan
>

Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany does-- charge all the
market will bear trying to stay 5-10% below the ouch point so sales won't
drop off...
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:19:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> "mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in
> message
> news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>> Hi -
>> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones?
>> How come you often see two phones, similar features, but
>> from different cell phone vendors - and they're priced
>> so differently?
>>
>> Thanks -
>> Susan
>>
>
> Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany does--
> charge all the market will bear trying to stay 5-10%
> below the ouch point so sales won't drop off...

Ummm, did you read the question?

The question was "why are two phones with similar
features priced so *differently*?".

-Quick
Related resources
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:47:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114880222.484060@sj-nntpcache-5...
> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>> "mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>> Hi -
>>> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones?
>>> How come you often see two phones, similar features, but
>>> from different cell phone vendors - and they're priced
>>> so differently?
>>>
>>> Thanks -
>>> Susan
>>>
>>
>> Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany does--
>> charge all the market will bear trying to stay 5-10%
>> below the ouch point so sales won't drop off...
>
> Ummm, did you read the question?
>
> The question was "why are two phones with similar
> features priced so *differently*?".
>
> -Quick

Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's because they can get
it...

Cleburne
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:55:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1114880222.484060@sj-nntpcache-5...
>> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>>> "mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>>> Hi -
>>>> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones?
>>>> How come you often see two phones, similar features,
>>>> but from different cell phone vendors - and they're
>>>> priced so differently?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks -
>>>> Susan
>>>>
>>>
>>> Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany does--
>>> charge all the market will bear trying to stay 5-10%
>>> below the ouch point so sales won't drop off...
>>
>> Ummm, did you read the question?
>>
>> The question was "why are two phones with similar
>> features priced so *differently*?".
>>
>> -Quick
>
> Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's
> because they can get it...

The question was WHY?
example:
Phone A: Clamshell with camera 50$
Phone B: Clamshell with camera 100$
same features, look and feel.

The question was why?

Here is a clue before you respond:
"because they can" is not an answer.

-Quick
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:02:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's because they can get
> it...

And you know that *for a fact*?

Isn't it possible that different manufacturers charge
Verizon different prices?

Notan
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:19:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Notan wrote:

> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's because they can get
> > it...
>
> And you know that *for a fact*?
>
> Isn't it possible that different manufacturers charge
> Verizon different prices?
>
> Notan

Pricing is NOT a simple art. Lots of possible reasons.

LB
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114923664.355392@sj-nntpcache-3...
> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1114880222.484060@sj-nntpcache-5...
>>> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>>>> "mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in
>>>> message
>>>> news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>>>> Hi -
>>>>> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones?
>>>>> How come you often see two phones, similar features,
>>>>> but from different cell phone vendors - and they're
>>>>> priced so differently?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks -
>>>>> Susan
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany does--
>>>> charge all the market will bear trying to stay 5-10%
>>>> below the ouch point so sales won't drop off...
>>>
>>> Ummm, did you read the question?
>>>
>>> The question was "why are two phones with similar
>>> features priced so *differently*?".
>>>
>>> -Quick
>>
>> Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's
>> because they can get it...
>
> The question was WHY?
> example:
> Phone A: Clamshell with camera 50$
> Phone B: Clamshell with camera 100$
> same features, look and feel.
>
> The question was why?
>
> Here is a clue before you respond:
> "because they can" is not an answer.
>
> -Quick


Oh Quickie, in fact it is the answer. Just because you don't like it doesn't
make it not so.

Remember when you had your lemonade stand? You could charge whatever you
liked. You could vary your prices by time of day or by customer or by
weather. You could charge more late on a hot Saturday afternoon when people
were sweaty from cutting the grass so demand was higher. Or you could give a
unit price reduction for volume purchases-- say when a soccer mom with a van
full of kids pulled up. You could charge the neighborhood grinch more
because you didn't like him-- or give a special discount to you friend Billy
or the little redheaded girl you had a crush on.

You sound like a card-carrying member of the Flat Earth Society-- or
possibly just someone whose financial and economic education ceased back in
the first or second grade;-)

Cleburne
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:00:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1114923664.355392@sj-nntpcache-3...
>> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>>> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:1114880222.484060@sj-nntpcache-5...
>>>> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>>>>> "mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in
>>>>> message
>>>>> news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>>>>> Hi -
>>>>>> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for
>>>>>> phones? How come you often see two phones, similar
>>>>>> features, but from different cell phone vendors -
>>>>>> and they're priced so differently?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks -
>>>>>> Susan
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany
>>>>> does-- charge all the market will bear trying to stay
>>>>> 5-10% below the ouch point so sales won't drop off...
>>>>
>>>> Ummm, did you read the question?
>>>>
>>>> The question was "why are two phones with similar
>>>> features priced so *differently*?".
>>>>
>>>> -Quick
>>>
>>> Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's
>>> because they can get it...
>>
>> The question was WHY?
>> example:
>> Phone A: Clamshell with camera 50$
>> Phone B: Clamshell with camera 100$
>> same features, look and feel.
>>
>> The question was why?
>>
>> Here is a clue before you respond:
>> "because they can" is not an answer.
>>
>> -Quick
>
>
> Oh Quickie, in fact it is the answer. Just because you
> don't like it doesn't make it not so.
>
> Remember when you had your lemonade stand? You could
> charge whatever you liked. You could vary your prices by
> time of day or by customer or by weather. You could
> charge more late on a hot Saturday afternoon when people
> were sweaty from cutting the grass so demand was higher.
> Or you could give a unit price reduction for volume
> purchases-- say when a soccer mom with a van full of kids
> pulled up. You could charge the neighborhood grinch more
> because you didn't like him-- or give a special discount
> to you friend Billy or the little redheaded girl you had
> a crush on.
>
> You sound like a card-carrying member of the Flat Earth
> Society-- or possibly just someone whose financial and
> economic education ceased back in the first or second
> grade;-)

Well, I can see you're trying. You gave reasons for "why"
in the lemonade stand analogy.

it was a hot Saturday,
people were hot from cutting the grass,
volume pricing,
sudden influx of kids,
Grinch,
friend,
crush...

Very good. These are reasons for "why".
Now try for the original question.

*Why* do similarly featured phones from different
manufacturers vary so much in price?

Is it because the manufacturer price to VZW is very
different? Is there a large brand name value difference?
If it was simply because "they can" then they would
charge the same for both wouldn't they? Why less
for one than the other? I don't know if we can state the
question many more different ways... please try again.

-Quick
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 6:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

How: only VZW knows, but imagine this:
- VZW makes a significant amount of money on "data". It could be
double/triple of their normal base revenue (for people without packages et
all). So, I'd imagine that phone prices are a balance of
1) the true cost of the phone
2) adjusted for consideration of a $175 early termination (same termination
if you provided the phone)
3) adjusted for the revenue generation potential (picture, data, video, ptt)
4) and then, what the market will bear.

As like any other business: if new connections are down, the prices of
phones will go down. The phones are not a big revenue source for any
carrier. It is the monthy service. If you have 100 people using an
existing tower, and they add another 50 people, there is no inceased cost to
support them, so this is extra margin $$.
--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & FORMER Midwest VZW Master Agent
Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worried about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
cingular<snip>@<snip>wiremore<snip>.biz<snip> remove the obvious please
"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114923664.355392@sj-nntpcache-3...
> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1114880222.484060@sj-nntpcache-5...
>>> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
>>>> "mobile project" <inquiryresponse@gmail.com> wrote in
>>>> message
>>>> news:1114867087.481150.127410@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>>>> Hi -
>>>>> Does anyone know how Verizon decides prices for phones?
>>>>> How come you often see two phones, similar features,
>>>>> but from different cell phone vendors - and they're
>>>>> priced so differently?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks -
>>>>> Susan
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sure Susie, they do the same thing every comnpany does--
>>>> charge all the market will bear trying to stay 5-10%
>>>> below the ouch point so sales won't drop off...
>>>
>>> Ummm, did you read the question?
>>>
>>> The question was "why are two phones with similar
>>> features priced so *differently*?".
>>>
>>> -Quick
>>
>> Ummmm, Quickie, did you understand what I said? It's
>> because they can get it...
>
> The question was WHY?
> example:
> Phone A: Clamshell with camera 50$
> Phone B: Clamshell with camera 100$
> same features, look and feel.
>
> The question was why?
>
> Here is a clue before you respond:
> "because they can" is not an answer.
>
> -Quick
>
>
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 6:50:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"dr.wireMORE@formerVZW-MidWESTma" <dr.wireMORE@formerVZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
news:J06de.44$Jz2.22@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> As like any other business: if new connections are down, the prices of phones will go down.

I also suspect that phone manufacturers make the phones in batches that
are sold to the carriers. (You can see that something like that happened
with the Audiovox 9900).

VZW will effectively discount models based on how many are left and the
other factors you mentioned.

Roger
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:07:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In news:SvWdnSuTKoygn-vfRVn-2g@comcast.com,
* * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> typed:
>
> I'm a manufacturing engineer. I've been consulting in high tech
> industries for over 25 years. I've been speculating the costs to
> manufacture a cell phone.
>
> The battery is probably the most expensive component. The screen would
> be next.
>
> From a conceptual point of view, a cell phone is nothing more
> technical than a hand held calculator and a transistor radio with a
> transmitter. My first HP statistical calculator cost several hundred
> dollars. Several years later I bought the same exact model for $9.95!
> Same thing with the early transistor radios.
>
> My first Fujitsu 3W analog transportable cell phone cost $1200 in
> 1987.
>
> The molded plastic cases cost pennies. There are no more than a few
> dollars worth of electronic components in a cell phone. Assembly is
> almost completely automated. I'm thinking that the average cell phone
> costs less than $25 to manufacture. Cheap models, a lot less.
>
> If you work backwards, say a phone has a list price of $150, the
> wholesale cost is going to be somewhere between 33% to 66% of the
> retail price. If there is a middle man, they get their cut also and so
> on.
>
> Chas.


Your analysis is looking at the Recurring cost - There is still the
Non-Recurring costs associated with Engineering, Tooling, Testing, Etc
required to get a product ready for production that has to be recovered.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:01:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> From a conceptual point of view, a cell phone is nothing more
> technical than a hand held calculator and a transistor radio with a
> transmitter.

Maybe if all you doing is analog. CDMA is non-trivial. (Ok it is
trivial if you don't care about power, but all cell phones do).

Pretty much every CDMA handset (I believe the exception is Nokia)
use Qualcomm chips. Start at http://www.cdmatech.com/chip_select.jsp
and try to work out how much they cost.

The MSM 5100 is what is in my LG VX4400 from 2003. All the chipsets
include ARM cpus, radio chips, and various other paraphenalia that
many handset manufacturers don't use such as BlueTooth and flash cards.
Don't forget the legal requirement to do GPS since 2003 or so,
various protocols and application APIs that need to be supported,
software for the internal applications such as the phonebook etc.

Read these:

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml
http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/04/Howspreadinga...

I am looking forward to your "cheap" phone :-)

Roger
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:m1Bde.7730$ye1.1553@okepread06...
> In news:SvWdnSuTKoygn-vfRVn-2g@comcast.com,
> * * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> typed:
> >
> > I'm a manufacturing engineer. I've been consulting in high tech
> > industries for over 25 years. I've been speculating the costs to
> > manufacture a cell phone.
> >
> > The battery is probably the most expensive component. The screen
would
> > be next.
> >
> > From a conceptual point of view, a cell phone is nothing more
> > technical than a hand held calculator and a transistor radio with
a
> > transmitter. My first HP statistical calculator cost several
hundred
> > dollars. Several years later I bought the same exact model for
$9.95!
> > Same thing with the early transistor radios.
> >
> > My first Fujitsu 3W analog transportable cell phone cost $1200 in
> > 1987.
> >
> > The molded plastic cases cost pennies. There are no more than a
few
> > dollars worth of electronic components in a cell phone. Assembly
is
> > almost completely automated. I'm thinking that the average cell
phone
> > costs less than $25 to manufacture. Cheap models, a lot less.
> >
> > If you work backwards, say a phone has a list price of $150, the
> > wholesale cost is going to be somewhere between 33% to 66% of the
> > retail price. If there is a middle man, they get their cut also
and so
> > on.
> >
> > Chas.
>
>
> Your analysis is looking at the Recurring cost - There is still the
> Non-Recurring costs associated with Engineering, Tooling, Testing,
Etc
> required to get a product ready for production that has to be
recovered.
>

I think that you are making some assumptions about manufacturing costs
based on the reinvention of the wheel. Technology does not exist in a
vacuum. There are very few real innovations in cell phone technology -
they have become consumer appliances!

The cost of development is spread throughout many component suppliers
and is amortized into the initial pricing. There's a lot of
interchangeability in electronic components so development costs are
indirectly shared among many phone makers. Also, the 1st $350 phone
produced costs a lot more to manufacture than the 500,000th phone.
Cell phone prices are driven by demand!

When Nokia, Moto, Sanyo etc. brings out a new model the changes from
the previous releases include any new bells and whistles, any cost
savings by using less expensive components and quality improvements in
previously problematic components.

The digital cameras in cell phones are 1st generation technology. Most
of the other bells and whistles have come from PC and laptop
technology. Transmitter and receiver technology goes back to the
1920's!

The manufacturing life cycle for today's cell phones is less than a
year then the next model comes out. Unlike in the PC world, cellular
providers have kept a leash on the phone manufacturers to keep
inventory management under control.

Chas.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:31:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"* * Chas"

<SNIP>

| I think that you are making some assumptions about manufacturing costs
| based on the reinvention of the wheel. Technology does not exist in a
| vacuum. There are very few real innovations in cell phone technology -
| they have become consumer appliances!
|
| The cost of development is spread throughout many component suppliers
| and is amortized into the initial pricing. There's a lot of
| interchangeability in electronic components so development costs are
| indirectly shared among many phone makers. Also, the 1st $350 phone
| produced costs a lot more to manufacture than the 500,000th phone.
| Cell phone prices are driven by demand!
|
| When Nokia, Moto, Sanyo etc. brings out a new model the changes from
| the previous releases include any new bells and whistles, any cost
| savings by using less expensive components and quality improvements in
| previously problematic components.
|
| The digital cameras in cell phones are 1st generation technology. Most
| of the other bells and whistles have come from PC and laptop
| technology. Transmitter and receiver technology goes back to the
| 1920's!
|
| The manufacturing life cycle for today's cell phones is less than a
| year then the next model comes out. Unlike in the PC world, cellular
| providers have kept a leash on the phone manufacturers to keep
| inventory management under control.

The build cycle is more like three years on average. The difference is that
there are typically 3 design cycles ongoing at anyone time. As to actual
cost it is so low that the units are not repaired only the guts are swapped
out.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:34:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

People are focusing on the hardware costs of phones. What about the
software development costs? Even with special-purpose chips handling
some of the processing, there is a LOT of software running in these
phones, doing multiple tasks at the same time, with real-time
constraints, with a relatively limited processor and limited memory (to
keep down hardware cost). The initial release of the Motorola T720
behaved terribly, not so much due to the hardware, but due to software
which was pushed to market before it had been properly tested. And
software development is expensive, still being more an art than an
engineering discipline. CDMA is computationally very complex and
expensive, and they are always coming up with tweaks to make it work
better with weaker signals or more interference or whatever. And we keep
expecting the phones to do more and more (games / camera / bluetooth /
animated color displays / ringtones / voice calling / picture messaging
/ higher speed data), making the software even more complex. And then
give away free software updates.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:57:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Xman" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote in message
news:117r3mfdm7qif6d@corp.supernews.com...
> I don't want to build my own and never said I wanted to. I don't pay for
my
> phones like some peckers do in here. Hundreds of dollars for some thing
that
> cost $20. Lemme tell ya, we have some really smart shoppers in here.
>

Smart shoppers and misinformed consumers. You would be the last- take a
look at the 10Q's filed by the cellular comaines some time. Look for the
"Equipment Subsidy" line- it's real easy to find, as the companies are quick
to point it out. In today's world of corporate scrutiny, how would they all
be allowed to lie about this number? Why wouldn't some great defender of
the masses have already uncovered this huge accounting fraud? Simple- the
phone costs more than they sell for. The only ones that have ever made the
claim that they are cheap to produce are contained in Usenet. Again, where
are the independent reports claiming this? There are none- we only have the
OPINIONS of the misinformed in this group.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:38:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
> Really? Comcast buys your Cingular phone for work.
> What about the VZW phones that you and your family
> are using? Remember, your wife insists on VZW. What
> about those phones?

Don't bother him with facts. You're wasting your time.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 9:25:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>> Really? Comcast buys your Cingular phone for work.
>> What about the VZW phones that you and your family
>> are using? Remember, your wife insists on VZW. What
>> about those phones?
>
> Don't bother him with facts. You're wasting your time.

Maybe not.
I figure it's possible his obsessive dislike for VZW is sincere
and not simply a trolling tool. If so, it must be real sore spot
to also be a loyal VZW customer...

-Quick
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:31:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:

> Maybe not.
> I figure it's possible his obsessive dislike for VZW is sincere

Sure, and I could be the next President of the USA, even though I'm not even
voting myself in as a write-in. :) 


--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 11:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
>
> Steve Sobol wrote:
> > Quick wrote:
> >> Really? Comcast buys your Cingular phone for work.
> >> What about the VZW phones that you and your family
> >> are using? Remember, your wife insists on VZW. What
> >> about those phones?
> >
> > Don't bother him with facts. You're wasting your time.
>
> Maybe not.
> I figure it's possible his obsessive dislike for VZW is sincere
>
> <snip>

I'm sure it is. But, if he thinks anyone's going to support
him, along with his irrational behavior, his insults to other
posters, etc., he's delusional, on top of everything else.

Notan
May 17, 2005 3:40:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Lie about a number? Fraud? This is America, a number on a piece of paper
means bullshit really. Company pays taxes, gives free/discount services to
local agencies and political powers....there goes that audit. Some people
really have no idea on how anything works.

"SS" <nospam1336479852@wopdj.net> wrote in message
news:hpSdnSAiDYMdq-PfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
>
> "Xman" <xman@cdripper.com> wrote in message
> news:117r3mfdm7qif6d@corp.supernews.com...
>> I don't want to build my own and never said I wanted to. I don't pay for
> my
>> phones like some peckers do in here. Hundreds of dollars for some thing
> that
>> cost $20. Lemme tell ya, we have some really smart shoppers in here.
>>
>
> Smart shoppers and misinformed consumers. You would be the last- take a
> look at the 10Q's filed by the cellular comaines some time. Look for the
> "Equipment Subsidy" line- it's real easy to find, as the companies are
> quick
> to point it out. In today's world of corporate scrutiny, how would they
> all
> be allowed to lie about this number? Why wouldn't some great defender of
> the masses have already uncovered this huge accounting fraud? Simple- the
> phone costs more than they sell for. The only ones that have ever made
> the
> claim that they are cheap to produce are contained in Usenet. Again,
> where
> are the independent reports claiming this? There are none- we only have
> the
> OPINIONS of the misinformed in this group.
>
>
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:40:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Xman" <xman@cdripper.net> wrote in message
news:118ipu9ksfco473@corp.supernews.com...
> Lie about a number? Fraud? This is America, a number on a piece of paper
> means bullshit really. Company pays taxes, gives free/discount services to
> local agencies and political powers....there goes that audit. Some people
> really have no idea on how anything works.
>

Yeah- you've proven that last point over and over again. And when presented
with FACTS instead of blind opinions, you dismiss them without
consideration. In today's society, where cell phone companies are the
target of a very hungry press and any number of "consumer groups", those
numbers would not go uncontested unless they were actually accurate.
>
!