overheating cpu

matluz1

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
My xp 1800 keeps overheating 66C+. I have tested the mboard with a different cpu and fan and it keeps them cool. The fan rpm is 4800 which is ok I am told. My other PC runs an XP 2000 which has a temperature of around 50C. The fan on that cpu runs at 9000 rpm. Any advice would be good on what to do next.
Thank you

Mat

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
9000 rpm jeez thats fast. Make sure there is good airflow in the case and the heatsink is attached properly

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

svol

Champion
Which heatsink are you using for that XP1800+? And how high is your case/motherboard temp?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Case is sth very important
one of my friend use the SAME motherboard and CPU with me (it's a XP2000+), the only difference between us is the case
now, his XP2000+ runs around 42C, mine always runs around 52C, it's a big difference, 10C, so... try to change your case or leave ur case open

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Actually leaving the case door off is worse for aiflow than leaving it on - as long as you have enough fans with neither positive nor negative pressure, but equal air pressure from the intake and exhaust fans, then you'll get the most out of their cooling from a closed case. Leaving it open ends up putting the fans to work on air being sucked in from around the case instead of inside it, and if any additional cooling is experienced due to the side panel being off, its because the case lacks the proper fan number or configuration of these (in/out).

<b>I'm
just
taking
up
space.

Heheheh, and you thought I was done</b>

RCPilot

Champion
I agree on the side of the case being off. Not only that but it becomes a dust magnate as well. Fight dust like the plague here at my place. Nope leave the side of the case on. If you want to see the insides, put in a glass window.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
wait a sec, what r u talking about Svol ? you mean to test temps if there are no fans, or to see if there are any fans installed at all ?

<b>I'm
just
taking
up
space.

Heheheh, and you thought I was done</b>

svol

Champion
For testing in case you don't have any case fans and you want to see if your CPU is unstable due to too high case temps.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: