Firmware upgrade for T616

What's the deal with firmwar upgrades at Cingular? I am trying to get
the version R1b firmware for the Sony T616, which is supposed to
greatly improve reception and RF performance in marginal GSM areas.

I have tried 3 corporate-owned stores, but they only do firmware
upgrades on Nokies, and tell me I have to call customer service to
have the new firmware sent over the air. However, Customer Service
says they can't do firmware upgrades over the air, and I have to take
the phone to a store. And they have no knowledge of the new version,
they still think R1A is the current version.

Any suggestions?

This was much easier with Sprint. They regularly releases firmware
upgrades for their phones, and any corporate store would gladly
perform the upgrade for free.

Global Mobility, $25. www.global-mob.com

"Eric Rogers" <usenet@ericrogers.org> wrote in message
> What's the deal with firmwar upgrades at Cingular? I am trying to get
> the version R1b firmware for the Sony T616, which is supposed to
> greatly improve reception and RF performance in marginal GSM areas.

You may also try asking one of the more knowledgeable employees at the
Cingular store; I did, and she simply told me which non-Cingular store in
town was doing it. Incidentally, I paid $15 in Madison, WI.
Before I got the upgrade, I'd heard rumors about better RF performance
too; I asked the guy doing my upgrade and he said "Well... don't count on
it." After having the upgraded phone for a week, I'd agree with him. The
vast majority of the improvement seems to simply be a more "optimistic" RF
meter on the phone. However, to me the upgrade was worth it regardless;
navigating the menus is quicker, and it's supposed to fix some general
"bugs" in original firmware (My phone used to freeze every once in a while
exiting games and apps; hasn't happened since. *fingers crossed*)