Iwill KA-266R and Windows XP Pro

Tazdrummer

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Does anyone know of any major issues with Windows XP Pro and the Iwill KA-266R? I have been having ACPI issues every so often and I heard from a friend he hasnt had a problem with that board?

Jedimaster

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
the board you are talking about sucks in fact all boards based on the ali chipset suck i had nothing but problems with mine it would lock up often i must have tried 3 or 4 different cpu's and of the the athlon xp based ones would lockup on me no matter what i did. so i say this to you either get a via or nforce2 board and you will be much happier.

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I've got to agree, after owning a KA-266R, I was VERY happy to get an Abit. The RAID system never worked, and it was absolutely incompatible with every ATI video card available at that time. With any luck, Acer labs will stop making chipsets soon, and the world will cease to suffer.

Tazdrummer

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
The funny thing is I had that same feeling when my friend sent me the board...... (I have had a few bad experiences with Acer and Ali Chipsets).... but I figured since he had built quite a few systems with that same board, maybe it would be ok.

Now..... can anyone suggest a good board with a VIA or good chipset that can run an Athlon XP 1800 that can run 2100 DDR RAM?

svol

Champion
Depends on what you want on the motherboard... but my advice is to buy a nForce2 motherboard (it is the latest and fastest chipset atm). If you want a huge amount of OC futures the Epox 8RDA+ is the best.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
It depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. The Epox 8RDA+ is a great board that overclocks wonderfully and doesn't cost a lot ($99 at newegg.com). You could pair it with an XP 1700+ TBred B processor and Corsair XMS or Mushkin black RAM and get 2200 Mhz (easily) out of it with air cooling.