Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Watercooling turning in to air cooling?!

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Water Cooling
  • Cooling
  • Swiftech
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2003 11:18:23 PM

Hi All -

I bought and installed my swiftech watercooling kit.. and everything works fine except for that after bout a week of running, it slowly fills with air... its supposed to be a closed system... and there are no leaks... how is air getting in to my system... i have bled and filled it 3 times now!! anyone with any suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Rob

Visit my <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new">Webpage</A> to see my modded Asus A7N8X and Swiftech watercooling setup, my 3DMark scores and improve your system performance with my many computer tweaks!

More about : watercooling turning air cooling

April 15, 2003 9:25:22 PM

if its filling with air than chances are it is a leak near the pump (either the intake or the output valve)... do you have a reservoir?

<b>When someone sells you a computer with an ECS mobo, they're ripping you off - when someone sells you a system with no case fan, they're just an idiot</b>
April 16, 2003 1:14:21 AM

its a closed system.. there is no reservoir... and if there was a slight intake of air... wouldnt i lose water dripping out as well?

thank you for your reply

Visit my <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new">Webpage</A> to see my modded Asus A7N8X and Swiftech watercooling setup, my 3DMark scores and improve your system performance with my many computer tweaks!
Related resources
April 16, 2003 1:59:33 AM

It may be that there was alot of air/chlorine/etc dissolved into the water. As the water is heated and moved vigorously that air is leaving the water and getting trapped in your system. I don't think that would explain the amount of air that you're experiencing though.

Keep checking and bleeding. If the air continues to appear with about the same regularity then you have a leak somewhere. A pinhole in the radiator perhaps. If the frequecy of air appearance continues to decline then its just that there was some air trapped in the system and you're now pushing it out.

I'm assuming that you've added water wetter or antifreeze to the water. Otherwise another culpurite could be bacterial growth and metabolization of waste products (literally a buildup of bacteria farts). Once again that's highly unlikely. I did see a picture of someone's system once where he used just tap water. After a few months you could see the green gunk coating his tubes. (Don't ask for a link as I saw this about 3 years ago and have long since lost it).

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
April 16, 2003 4:38:08 AM

well, like knowan explained, i hope you're using distilled water with some version of WaterWetter or something of the sorts to kill the bacteria that can form, the corrosion factor, as well as break down the water's surface tension. With air build-ups like you're telling, it makes me wonder something - did you properly bleed your system before seting up? Large pockets of air could have been trapped within the radiator that are only appearing now. Best thing to do is remove the setup from your computer, turn it on and shake the radiator to try and eliminate any air bubbles (you can also try placing the pump and waterblock on a table, and the radiator on the floor, since the bubbles will tend to rise). But nonetheless, the best way for you to rid yourself of air in the system is with the use of a reservoir. You can also just set yourself up one temporarily to clear out the air in the system - just lead the pipe coming from the waterblock into a container, then using another pipe in the container lead it to the pumps intake. Guaranteed you'll get rid of all the air within an hour or two. Lastly, if none of this helps, a leak can be formed at the intake valve, whereas the pumps negative pressure is strong enough to make sure that there is no leak, while the air still gets in (because remember, air molecules are smaller than water).

<b>When someone sells you a computer with an ECS mobo, they're ripping you off - when someone sells you a system with no case fan, they're just an idiot</b>
April 17, 2003 1:04:51 PM

What do you guys think about this...On startup of the system it is full of water and zero air. As the system heats up, the volume increase due to thermal expansion causes the tubing to swell. If the temperature decreases (turning off the computer), then a negative pressure would be formed in the system due to the decrease in water volume (thermal contraction). Now your sucking air into the system. You can definately have leakage into the system without having pressure leaks out of the system.

Any man can withstand adversity...The true test of character is to give a man power <i>Abraham Lincoln</i>
April 17, 2003 4:44:52 PM

the problem is solved - swiftech sold my a faulty leaky pump.. found the problem last night.... thanks for all your help.