DAndrew

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I personally have always been a ps_ player. However, within the last year or so i grew very board of video games. yet i indulged in pc gaming. So i went out and built my own, it was a lot of fun and games were much better looking. Although, after a year or two of despising call of duty (even though i had a 2.72 kd with tons of play time in the past) i bought black ops 2. The problem was all i ever played on my pc was rts games, adventure games and some "realistic" shooters such as arma. When i played black ops 2, well quite frankly i sucked compared to how to used to play. So i learned how motionjoy works in order to get my ps3 controller working and i did get it working, but only under the xbox emulater. Problem being that xbox controllers have A) different buttons which i can live with but they are confusing enough to annoy me, and B) the dead zone of xbox controllers is larger than that of ps3 controllers, in other words the ps3 controller analogs react more quickly than an xbox controller analogs would. so i can't aim for crap.

Does anyone know how i can either get the ps3 option of motionjoy to work or if there is another way to use a ps3 controller?
Perhaps you might even know of a pc gamepad which is practically a ps3 controller?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
If you have a big PC Store in your neighborhood, i'd go there. Logitech has very similar joysticks/controllers as those for the PS3. I'd check them out. But if you want to "hold" or "feel" the controller first, then I'd say go to the store first. There might be other companies but honestly, you just can't go wrong with Logitech.

I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but playing with a controller against FPS veterant mouse/keyboard player on the PC (like myself), will be extremely hard to match.

What I'm saying is, play with mouse/keyboard if you ever want to stand a chance on the PC platform.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
You could google "ps3 controller PC motionjoy" or search it on youtube and check any of the many many many results.

All that motion joy does is translate the hardware interpretation into Xbox360 inputs. This does not affect the deadzone on the sticks, as you will see if you hook up 2 different 360 controllers to a PC and see that they themselves have varying degrees of deadzone just between 2 different controllers of the same model.

Either your PS3 controller's analog is just not as tight as you perceived it to be and now you're trying to rectify a non-existent issue, or you've accidentally set a deadzone buffer somehow (much like emulators that allow you to adjust the deadzone to prevent the 360 controller's analog wobble from causing unintended inputs).

Also I do agree with Alex that playing a PC fps with a controller is going to be significantly harder than it would be on console for 2 reasons: first, the game does not have the built in auto-aim assist that most console shooters have to compensate for the inaccuracy of analog controllers and secondly, everyone else is using a keyboard and mouse. I'm not telling you that you might not enjoy yourself, but from just a pure technical standpoint, you're handicapping yourself considerably.

DAndrew

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I understand that a mouse and keyboard are better for some but to my knowledge i have never used an aim assist on any fps on a ps3. Not to blow my own horn but with a controller people have thought i had an aimbot almost every game i played. After ten years of playing upwards of 5+ hours a day i got quite used to the controller.

To casualcolors: i wish that was the case but the same controller i tried using on pc i put back to ps3 and tested the deadzone on both cod mw3 and assassins creed revelations (the most relative to my pc bo 2 and ac 3) and there was a clear difference. I'm not sure how i could of put a deadzone buff on the controller but maybe because i didn't know exactly what i was doing with motionjoy i clicked something wrong somewhere? I would assume because it emulates an xbox 360 controller it would also enable the same deadzone as one. However i'm not very acquainted with emulators so any info would be helpful.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The 360's deadzone is related to how much physical wobble there is in the stick. It has nothing to do with drivers. By default, the deadzone is zero. 360 games use the equivalent of about a 20 to 25 buffer zone to allow for the fact that the 360 controller's sticks are loose, but that has nothing to do with how Windows interprets your controller, nor does it have to do with how Motionjoy translates your controller to 360 inputs.

Also, almost all FPS games on console have aim assist. It's usually not an option that you get to enable or disable, it is just hardcoded into the game.