GlacialTech Igloo 2410 Pro

GrahamD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I just got this cooler. The web site says it's OK for XP3000+, the box says 2600+. I supppose a 3000 Barton could generate the same heat as a 2600 TBred. Anybody know if this is any good? I have an XP2400. Whilst I would like a modest overclock, I am not looking to break any records.

Brain has detected you have changed your socks. Brain will now restart...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, all the top end CPU's put out around the same amount of max heat, 75 to 85W.

Looking atthe website it looks pretty decent, though i really suggest someting a bit beefier if you want to overclock at all.
ax7, slk800 or spire falconrock2 for better cooling at a decent price.

<b>True Class: Just roll her over and do her doggy style. And put a laptop on her back and tell us what its like live on irc.</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have an Igloo 2500 (not the PRO) and it cools really well <b>BUT</b> I hate the clip.

From the factory it applies way to much pressure to the core (in my opinion) and it has no give. The clip doesn't act like a spring but more like a lever.

I was afraid I was going to crush my core so I modified the clip by grinding some material (very small amount) off of it at the fulcrum. It's still a very tight fit but not excessively so.

By the way, the Igloo 2500 claims to be good up to XP2700+. I have an XP1700+ running at 2100 Mhz (~XP2600+ speeds) with very good temps for my mobo. Lower than the temps I had with my old Tbird at 1.5 Ghz with one of those Delta screamers.

Very good results for a quiet cooler but there is that d*mn clip.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

GrahamD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I've got an XP2400 running at it's standard internal clock speed, but 200MHz fsb. This is stable and the temperature goes up to about 53 degrees under load (default voltage). At the moment I am not going to try and push it any further since I don't really need the extra speed yet. I will probably try to up it at a later date. Would you say there is any headroom with this cooler?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an XP2400 running at it's standard internal clock speed, but 200MHz fsb. This is stable and the temperature goes up to about 53 degrees under load (default voltage). At the moment I am not going to try and push it any further since I don't really need the extra speed yet. I will probably try to up it at a later date. Would you say there is any headroom with this cooler?

I can't really answer that. Don't know what mobo you are using, whether you're reading from the in-die sensor or a socket mounted thermister. More importantly, I don't know how your temps react to change with overclocking. For example, when I run my XP1700 at 1.5 ghz it maxes out at about 35 degrees. The max gradually increases to about 45 degrees as I overclock to 2.1 Ghz and my system is stable. Clearly I had plenty of headroom there. However, if I overclock a little higher, to 2.25 Ghz, I need to add a lot more voltage (from 1.775 volt to 2.15 volts). Running Toast (great for testing load temps) I observed my temperatures rise past 52 degrees and they didn't appear to be stopping. Not much headroom above 2.1 Ghz for me.

My readings are from a socket sensor (though I've never been able to find it) and I suspect the real core temps are quite a bit higher. How much I don't know.

The only review, <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cooling-systems/socketa-coolers-massive-shootout-feb2k3-part1.html" target="_new">this one at Digit-Life.com</A>, that I read in which these newer GlacialTech coolers were compared placed the 2500 a little better than the 2410 PRO so I don't know how much "headroom" you have. I would say some but probably not a lot.

By the way, what do you think about the clip on the 2410 PRO? Did you find it excessively tight?

GrahamD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
The temperature reading is as is, i.e., I have not added any sensors. I'll probably get a more beefy cooler at a later date when I decide to up the speed. As for the clip, I've obviously picked the wrong ones in the past because they all seem to require excessive force. I think the most important thing is to make sure that the heatsink is flat on the chip and centred before putting any pressure on it. What I would say is that it is a beast to get off!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Clips are all different. It could be that because the Igloo 2500 uses a "thumb" clip the required pressure seemed excessive compared to other "thumb" clips.

When clips require tools like screwdrivers I guess there is a little leverage to assist attachment.

On the otherhand, I never had the motherboard bend as much with other heatsinks as it did when I attempted to attach the Igloo 2500 with the unmodified clip. I was leaning directly over the CPU and applying considerable weight attempting to attach the thing. With similar clips only thumb a little thumber pressure was necessary, no weight.

Removing the Igloo 2500 is two handed affair but it isn't difficult. With my left-hand thumb pressing firmly down on the clip I use my right hand with a screwdriver to pull the clip clear of the socket "ears".

AMD_me

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I personally love Swiftech's MCX-462+ and Thermalright's SLK-800/U. I use them with Tornadoes, Panaflows, TMDs, and ThermalTake SmartFan 2s. I would avoid ThermalTake Heatsinks (ESPECIALLY Volcano 11) like the plague.

eBay, kick ass!

My 3DMark2001 Score: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493</A>
-
I bought from Best Buy once. Once.