Barton or T-Bred ?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Guys, I'm switching CPUs within the next couple of days, sellin of my Palamino 1600 and can get a T-bred 2400 (2.0GHz) for no out of pocket cost (long story, I had an RMA with a distributor and I've still got credit)... BUT the question is, for $36 (Canadian = ~US$25) I can get a Barton 2500 (1.83GHz).... My mobos an MSI KT3 Ultra, and I know it can handle the Barton, but should I ?? I'm kinda leanin towards the T-Bred, but I mean, Barton overclockability vs. T-bred overlclockability; 266FSB vs 333FSB, and then there's the extra cash for a basically slower CPU - what to do what to do ?!

Mind you, I was thinkin about grabbin a T-Bred 1800 and another stick of RAM (got 512mb of 333Mhz Samsung, can grab another for the difference in price). OR I can grab another 40Gig HD, or even a CDRW (yeah yeah yeah, I'll probly end-up being the last person in the world to own one - for now I still got HD room, and I still got a friend that I can borrow one from,hehehehe).

<b>When someone sells you a computer with an ECS mobo, they're ripping you off - when someone sells you a system with no case fan, they're just an idiot</b>

svol

Champion
Oh man... talking about difficult discisions.

The XP2400+ should be a great OC'er... but the Tbred 1800+ with B core too.
The XP2500+ is also a nice OC'er (will often reach something between 2.2-3 GHz) and comes with twice the L2 cache.

So difficult!

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
tell me about it... ahhhhhhh, I'm going nuts here. But I think I've finally decided. I'm gonna grab a Lite-On 52X24x52 CDRW (supposed to be the best of the bunch), and an Athlon XP T-Bred 2200 Retail Box (so i can have the warrantee) instead of the 2400, that way it costs me nothing out of pocket since I've got enough bills to pay already, guess its the responsible thing to do (and besides, I can always push it to 2.0GHz, heheheh). Anyways, better than my Palmino 1600, thats for sure (i hate that CPU so much). Now yeah, i know the chances i get a T-Bred B from a retail box aren't anything special, but my distributor doesn't even list the entire specs, so I can even figure-out which one they've got, only list the first line of the code, so at least i know its one of the lower voltage ones (aka better chance its a highballer).

<b>When someone sells you a computer with an ECS mobo, they're ripping you off - when someone sells you a system with no case fan, they're just an idiot</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
true - i thought about it myself and will try to make the switch before the shipment is made, otherwise "oh well", its still got to be better than my Palamino 1600

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I would go the barton... both will OC about the same, but u get extra cache and a larger die surface area with the bartie.

<b>Now can someone explain how we ever got the idea that baby bunnies lay multicolored eggs made of chocolate in our living rooms?" :lol: </b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
check out <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/" target="_new">this</A> article

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
too late - had to order the CPU on Friday and I grabbed the 2200, though I probably shoulda taken the 2100 OEM (more chances it was a T-Bred b) but we'll see, if she overlcocks terribly I'll just return it and grab the 2100 (realised i got not enough money for the Barton, 'caus I wanted a burner too)

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
no prob dude

TRENDING THREADS