charge for text message instead of voicemail?

Tags:
  • Verizon
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
April 30, 2005 9:48:36 PM

Whenever someone calls a VZW customer, they have the option of leaving
a voicemail or text message (the latter by pressing 5). I was wondering
if we get charged for this text message? Not that this is a large
amount but lately a lot of ppl have started to leave me text messages.
Incidentally, I called up VZW CSR and she didn't know the answer to
this so she said she'd call back the next day. When she called the next
day, I was away from the phone and she left me a message saying it was
not possible to leave text messages from voicemail (this is true but
that was not what I had asked her!).

More about : charge text message voicemail

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:27:25 AM

Ah, sorry about not using the right terminology. Yes, NUMERIC PAGE is
what I was referring to (option 5 when the voicemail system comes on).
Thanks for the clarification!
May 1, 2005 1:18:27 AM

No charge...

"babolat" <babolat30@aol.com> wrote in message
> Whenever someone calls a VZW customer, they have the option of leaving
> a voicemail or text message (the latter by pressing 5). I was wondering
> if we get charged for this text message? Not that this is a large
> amount but lately a lot of ppl have started to leave me text messages.
> Incidentally, I called up VZW CSR and she didn't know the answer to
> this so she said she'd call back the next day. When she called the next
> day, I was away from the phone and she left me a message saying it was
> not possible to leave text messages from voicemail (this is true but
> that was not what I had asked her!).

May 1, 2005 1:18:28 AM

tgw wrote:
> No charge...

Absolutely wrong. 2c/msg to receive, 10c/msg to send. You can prepay X number
of messages at a flat monthly rate if you want (I say X because the packages
have probably changed since the last time I checked) but if you go over that,
you will be charged 2c/msg or 10c/msg depending on whether the message is
incoming or outgoing.

The ONLY time text messages are absolutely free with no restrictions is when
you send to, or receive from, another VZW customer and you've paid for the
promotion that gives you unlimited text and picture messages between VZW users.

And that promotion just launched recently...

>>day, I was away from the phone and she left me a message saying it was
>>not possible to leave text messages from voicemail (this is true but
>>that was not what I had asked her!).

If someone leaves you a NUMERIC PAGE from the voice mail system, there's never
a charge - tgw, perhaps this is what you were referring to? It gets delivered
the same way as a text message does.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
May 1, 2005 2:40:05 AM

Yes, the NUMERIC PAGE, as you call it, is what I was referring to -- please
re-read the original post (i.e., voicemail option 5).

news:D 51bvf$9tn$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> tgw wrote:
>> No charge...
>
> Absolutely wrong. 2c/msg to receive, 10c/msg to send. You can prepay X
> number of messages at a flat monthly rate if you want (I say X because the
> packages have probably changed since the last time I checked) but if you
> go over that, you will be charged 2c/msg or 10c/msg depending on whether
> the message is incoming or outgoing.
>
> The ONLY time text messages are absolutely free with no restrictions is
> when you send to, or receive from, another VZW customer and you've paid
> for the promotion that gives you unlimited text and picture messages
> between VZW users.
>
> And that promotion just launched recently...
>
>>>day, I was away from the phone and she left me a message saying it was
>>>not possible to leave text messages from voicemail (this is true but
>>>that was not what I had asked her!).
>
> If someone leaves you a NUMERIC PAGE from the voice mail system, there's
> never a charge - tgw, perhaps this is what you were referring to? It gets
> delivered the same way as a text message does.
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:59:52 PM

babolat wrote:
> Ah, sorry about not using the right terminology. Yes, NUMERIC PAGE is
> what I was referring to (option 5 when the voicemail system comes on).
> Thanks for the clarification!

Technically, I don't believe "text message" is wrong, because the message is
delivered and processed by the phone as a text message; however, pages left
through voicemail are billed differently. (I.E., not at all, ever.) :)  That's
why I make a distinction between the two types of messages.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
May 2, 2005 8:35:58 PM

Steve Sobol wrote on [Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:43:01 -0700]:
> tgw wrote:
>> No charge...
>
> Absolutely wrong. 2c/msg to receive, 10c/msg to send. You can prepay X number
> of messages at a flat monthly rate if you want (I say X because the packages
> have probably changed since the last time I checked) but if you go over that,
> you will be charged 2c/msg or 10c/msg depending on whether the message is
> incoming or outgoing.
>
> The ONLY time text messages are absolutely free with no restrictions is when
> you send to, or receive from, another VZW customer and you've paid for the
> promotion that gives you unlimited text and picture messages between VZW users.

What about when you call #bal etc? They seem to be free...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:35:59 PM

Justin wrote:
> Steve Sobol wrote on [Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:43:01 -0700]:
>> tgw wrote:
>>> No charge...
>>
>> Absolutely wrong. 2c/msg to receive, 10c/msg to send.
>> You can prepay X number of messages at a flat monthly
>> rate if you want (I say X because the packages have
>> probably changed since the last time I checked) but if
>> you go over that, you will be charged 2c/msg or 10c/msg
>> depending on whether the message is incoming or
>> outgoing.
>>
>> The ONLY time text messages are absolutely free with no
>> restrictions is when you send to, or receive from,
>> another VZW customer and you've paid for the promotion
>> that gives you unlimited text and picture messages
>> between VZW users.
>
> What about when you call #bal etc? They seem to be free...

The informational txt messages from VZW in response to #bal,
#min, #data, etc. are free.

-Quick
!