Keeping ringtones when switching phones??????

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 30, 2005 11:37:53 PM

My sons VX6000 finally bit the dust after two hard years of abuse. We
bought two for the kids and they have been Excellent phones and have
taken a lot of abuse and hours and hours of talk time. I bought my son
the VX7000 and he is happy with the features and it should be another
good phone since he hopefully has matured a little. Now for the problem:
He took the phone out to the Verizon store to have his contacts
transferred and they charged him $10 even though they did mine for free,
BUT the store rep told him that his ring tones would not transfer. I can
understand that somewhat but he also said that he has two ring tones
that he has paid for but has not downloaded and the rep told him that
these would be lost also. I have never bothered with ring tones and have
no experience with them. It would seem to me that the ring tones
purchased would be to the phone number and not to the phone. I would
like to know a little of where I stand before we go back out to the
store. Most of the personnel at the store are pretty nice people and
have been easy to seal with in the past.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:20:36 AM

Ringtones are not transferable, and the reason for that is copyright law.
You have paid for one use (use in one device actually) to use the ringtone
in another device requires another copyright payment fee. The fee that is
being charged for ringtones does not all go into Verizon's pocket some of it
is a fee to the composer and producer of the sounds/song you are using for a
ringtone.

!