NTL Broadband (STB) and Netscreen 5GT

Hi there,
I'm canvassing for some help..

I'm trying to get a netscreen 5GT working on an NTL Broadband connection.

There are lots of quirks about the NTL connection needing to 'authorize' the
connecting Ethernet MAC address, and I think I've done all the steps (reboot
STB.. reboot firewall..)

The crux seems to be that the netscreen fails to lease an address from the
NTL connection.
I have tested the netscreen on my work LAN and the NT4 DHCP server quite
happily leases it an address..
I've tried a PC on the NTL connection and this leases an address...
But the Netscreen.. nada.. zip..

Anyone got any ideas?

P.S. NTL is a UK cable ISP, and the NTL connection has the PACE 'Set Top
Box'...

Thanks

David

Hi David

I'm on the same service; you need to program the MAC address of the computer
that you used to register your NTL broadband into the netscreen.
I use an edimax wireless router, didn't work until I did this.
All the best,
Matthew
"David Barnes" <david@nospam-bitsolve.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I'm canvassing for some help..
>
> I'm trying to get a netscreen 5GT working on an NTL Broadband connection.
>
> There are lots of quirks about the NTL connection needing to 'authorize'
the
> connecting Ethernet MAC address, and I think I've done all the steps
(reboot
> STB.. reboot firewall..)
>
> The crux seems to be that the netscreen fails to lease an address from the
> NTL connection.
> I have tested the netscreen on my work LAN and the NT4 DHCP server quite
> happily leases it an address..
> I've tried a PC on the NTL connection and this leases an address...
> But the Netscreen.. nada.. zip..
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> P.S. NTL is a UK cable ISP, and the NTL connection has the PACE 'Set Top
> Box'...
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Hi Matthew,
Netscreens don't support MAC address spoofing as it compromises the layer 2
security.

Reverse thinking I put the Netscreens MAC address onto the PC's NIC and
registered that.. registration worked and could access stuff from the PC..
However I was still unable to use the netscreen. It appears that the
netscreen is having difficulties leasing the IP address from NTL..
This seems to be something NTL and Netscreen specific.

Knowing how popular the netscreens are for corporate and business networks,
I assumed that someone has done this before and had the same issues.
Especially as some executive apartments have 'tied' agreements between the
landlord and NTL and you are not permitted to install satellite or BT..

thanks anyway
David

"Matthew Boast" <matt.boast at ntlnosp@mworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi David
>
> I'm on the same service; you need to program the MAC address of the
computer
> that you used to register your NTL broadband into the netscreen.
> I use an edimax wireless router, didn't work until I did this.
> All the best,
> Matthew
> "David Barnes" <david@nospam-bitsolve.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> > I'm canvassing for some help..
> >
> > I'm trying to get a netscreen 5GT working on an NTL Broadband
connection.

> > There are lots of quirks about the NTL connection needing to 'authorize'
> the
> > connecting Ethernet MAC address, and I think I've done all the steps
> (reboot
> > STB.. reboot firewall..)
> >
> > The crux seems to be that the netscreen fails to lease an address from
the
> > NTL connection.
> > I have tested the netscreen on my work LAN and the NT4 DHCP server quite
> > happily leases it an address..
> > I've tried a PC on the NTL connection and this leases an address...
> > But the Netscreen.. nada.. zip..
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > P.S. NTL is a UK cable ISP, and the NTL connection has the PACE 'Set Top
> > Box'...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David

So I take it no one in the UK has ever got a Netscreen working on NTL.??????

"David Barnes" <david@nospam-bitsolve.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I'm canvassing for some help..
>
> I'm trying to get a netscreen 5GT working on an NTL Broadband connection.
>
> There are lots of quirks about the NTL connection needing to 'authorize'
the
> connecting Ethernet MAC address, and I think I've done all the steps
(reboot
> STB.. reboot firewall..)
>
> The crux seems to be that the netscreen fails to lease an address from the
> NTL connection.
> I have tested the netscreen on my work LAN and the NT4 DHCP server quite
> happily leases it an address..
> I've tried a PC on the NTL connection and this leases an address...
> But the Netscreen.. nada.. zip..
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> P.S. NTL is a UK cable ISP, and the NTL connection has the PACE 'Set Top
> Box'...
>
> Thanks
>
> David

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:15:40 GMT, "David Barnes"
<david@nospam-bitsolve.com> wrote:

>So I take it no one in the UK has ever got a Netscreen working on NTL.??????

Have you sniffed the DHCP exchange ?

greg

--
Konnt ihr mich horen?
Konnt ihr mich sehen?

No.. not really a level I wanted to have to dig into

As NTL is quit a big ISP over here I was hoping that someone would have got
this working.
and could point out where I've gone wrong.

David

"Greg Hennessy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:15:40 GMT, "David Barnes"
> <david@nospam-bitsolve.com> wrote:
>
> >So I take it no one in the UK has ever got a Netscreen working on
NTL.??????

> Have you sniffed the DHCP exchange ?
>

> greg
>
> --
> Konnt ihr mich horen?
> Konnt ihr mich sehen?
> Konnt ihr mich fuhlen?
> Ich versteh euch nicht

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:19:30 GMT, "David Barnes"
<david@nospam-bitsolve.com> wrote:

>No.. not really a level I wanted to have to dig into

Until you do so there isnt much point in asking why.

The win32 port of ethereal is point and click.

>As NTL is quit a big ISP over here I was hoping that someone would have got
>this working and could point out where I've gone wrong.

I am aware of NTL, I had the misfortune to be one of their customers at one
time.

greg

--
Konnt ihr mich horen?