Virgin Xp2700 on a 8rda+

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Wassup fellas.. Im a lower level OCer. I just put in a Athlon XP 2700, on a EpoX 8rda+. Shes got 2x512 Crucial pc2700 in slots 1 and 3. Im wonderin if anyone had this same setup or close to it. Maybe help me make my brain stop hurting when I look at my bios . Just some simple overclockin tips would help..

EpOx 8RDA+
XP 2.7 @ 2.278 hz
WIN XP HM
PNY/ G4 Ti 4600
2x512-Crucial PC2700
W.D 120/Caviar S.Edi.

svol

Champion
Well there are two ways to overclock your CPU: increase the FSB or increase the multiplier.

It is best to first start increasing the FSB because that also increases memory speeds. Just increase it a couple of MHz a time and check for stability and temps. If everything is running fine continue increasing and otherwise back off a couple of MHz. A good program to test memory stability is Memtest86 which you can find here: <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com</A>. Continue increasing and testing until memory errors are starting to pop-up... at that point you can either lower the FSB a little to the last stable point or increase the Vdimm (memory voltage) 0.1V to see if that makes the memory stable again. It is best to not go above the 2.7-8V

As soon as you found the maximum stable FSB and the CPU is still running cool and stable you can continue increasing the multiplier one step at the time until you reach the CPUs max speed. A great program to test CPU stability is Prime95. If your CPU runs unstable at a higher speed but still runs cool you can increase the VCore 0.05V at a time to see if that helps, but keep in mind that a higher VCore also means a higher temp. This VCore increasing trick can also be done when your PC refuses to boot-up with a higher FSB setting.

Good luck, and remember to do it slowly and to always watch your temps.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
OK man... thanks fer the advice.....STAND BACK ... IM GOIN IN......

M

Athlon XP 2.7 @ 2278
EpOx 8RDA+/ WIN XP HM
PNY/ G4 Ti 4600/2x512/Crucial PC2700
W.D 120/8mb S.Edi.

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Welp... locked up/restarted herself..... :(

Athlon XP 2.7 @ 2278
EpOx 8RDA+/ WIN XP HM
PNY/ G4 Ti 4600/2x512/Crucial PC2700
W.D 120/8mb S.Edi.

svol

Champion
Try to find out how that comes. Check memory and CPU stability and when needed increase the Vcore or Vdimm slightly (your mobo should have that setting somewhere inside the BIOS).

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: