Windows 7 or 8 for gaming?

fort90

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I've read a lot of mixed reviews and would like your opinions.

The plus sides to win 8 to me would be native 3.0 support, faster boot times (not essential), I have to admit I like the metro ui as weird as it is.. Its almost like a 2nd os blended in with win 7.. I've seen benchmarks and some games have higher fps, granted not by much.. And hey, its the latest and greatest.. surely Microsoft will smooth out all the flaws!

The cons, battlefield 3 seems to hate win8 from what I've seen.. high CPU usage and memory leaks? Crashes etc..
Short cuts for windows seem to be all over the place/having to go through multiple hoops to reach things unlike earlier windows..

And windows 7, well.. I'm used to it. Its simple.
I just don't know whether I should just spend a little extra and get the latest windows and hope for the best regarding updates n such..

I don't know 100% probably not even 25% of what win 8 is capable of or what needs fixing so please, share :)

fort90

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Oh and also, I said it would be faster because it is obviously a tablet/touch pc oriented OS, thus being lite, while on the other hand I heard it is more demanding compared to win 7.. So I'm a bit confused :/

Hi :)

Lol on the name :) Its an excellent one by the way...

I own computer shops and a LOT of customers are moaning about games not working at ALL in 8 , or crashing out of the game, so 7, which is totally stable for games...imho..

All the best Brett :)

fort90

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
OK fair enough, I suppose I have the option to upgrade whenever! If I upgrade over an OEM, would it remain an OEM? Not that I'm planning on upgrading My mobo any time soon lol.. Just curious.

Cheers brett!

Hi :)

No, as the upgrade is normally Pro... but I wouldn't lol...

All the best Brett :)

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Windows 8 has the potential to use less resources than XP, but there are major compatibility issues with a lot of games right now, and hardware was already well beyond the demand of Windows 7 64-bit + a game + background programs, that it's hardly a justification.

Stick with Windows 7 64-bit honestly.

fort90

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
OK thanks guys! Will be getting os in a few weeks as I still need GPU and PSU. I'm thinking 850w nzxt hale 82 with a 2gb gtx 660 (non ti as there is probably over £50 difference)