Obviously Overclocking ... Who/what/when/where etc

jvchacon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
Disclaimer: Please don't throw anything at me just yet ...

I'm a bit ..ahem .. outdated when it comes to PC's .. so I'm a tad rusty.

Anyhow, with overclocking way back when I remember Overclocking was a 'physical' thing or so it seemed (i.e. physically altering PC components to up the speeds.)

Is it still that way? I'm building a new PC and the mobo I bought (Giga-Byte GA-8SQ800)and the drivers that come with it contain overclocking software which I assume helps to program the Bios etc... without really having to crack open the case. or is that just a bunch of ASSumptions?

Curious to know .. Thanks

Most of the overclocking these days is in the bios. With or without their software.You can change voltage, fsb and multiplyers on non intel chips.

No more changeing jumpers.

Just go into the bios and change the fsb and restart and your overclocking.

Low level overclocking is that simple.

Now if you catch the BUG and want more and more and MORE just come back and ask away.

I aint signing nothing!!!

jvchacon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
Wonderful!

Atleast I know I'm in the ballpark. (Or more like the parking lot) As for that bug .. I can't afford to have that monkey on my back right now .. but who knows a couple months down the line :D

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think there are two kinds of overclocking.

The "new" type - where you just change things in BIOS to get a half decent overclock,

And the "old" type - where you do a bit of soldering and pin modifications to get the most you can out of a system.

For example:

You can set the voltage for a processor in most BIOSes now, but it only applies this higher voltage after the computer starts. Your computer may in fact be able to run at a higher speed but it will fail the POST when first started. So by doing a pin mod and setting the default voltage a little higher you may be able to run a little faster.

Most people just opt to play with the BIOS settings however.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What's this pin mod? Once in a while I'm forced to clear my CMOS because my computer won't post (I'm running my 2500+ at 2293 with air cooling, so it needs some powah to get jump started). So, fill me in. I've already voided the warranty on my mobo, might as well go all the way.

2500+ Barton 191x12@1.85v=2293mhz
Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Guillemot Game Theatre XP

svol

Champion
I think he means changing the bridge configuration on the CPU to set the default voltage higher.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
I'd be rather interested in this voltage mod as well. I seem to have the same getting started problem as others. The thing sometimes just won't quite get started, so the CMOS clears and I gotta reset it all. Would be nice if I could up the default vCore to like 1.75 or something.

That oughta void your warrenty!

svol

Champion
Ok here you go, I asume that the voltage pin configuration of the Barton and the T-bred are the same.

If you want a default VCore of 1.75V change the L11 bridges to this: .||:|| (the | stands for an closed and the : for an open bridge).

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On page ~2 I did a quick little guide on how I do s370 chips (with pics) <A HREF="http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59420" target="_new">http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59420</A>

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*