Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking a PIII on an SE440BX-2

Last response: in Overclocking
April 26, 2003 1:19:43 AM

Has anyone had any experience overclocking with this board. I have searched the bios high and low and i don't believe it is overclockable via hardware (bios), probably because it is an intel board so intel doesn't want people to OC. However I have heard of software overclocking and am willing to give it a try on my ageing system, could anyone recomend me agood overclocking program. Also what is a good overclocked temperature for a PIII 700mhz copermine, and a good overclocked speed.

Just for info
Intel se440bx-2 board
PIII 700 (slot 1) stock HSF
2x 125mb memory (oem)
Ati rage pro 8mb
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2003 1:33:59 AM

there are a couple to try .
CPUFSB
SOFTFSB by H Oda.
Or Set FSB.
Some have listings for motherboards and/or clock generators found on the board.

As far as temps if you are below 50*C. dont sweat it. your good.
My wifes comp is a 700@933 for about 9 months now at2.0v.

I aint signing nothing!!!
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2003 3:13:51 AM

SoftFSB can overclock you a little. The board should overclock to 133MHz bus easily using SoftFSB, the CPU however might need additonal voltage.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
Related resources
April 28, 2003 12:46:15 AM

i don't think i can add voltage with this board. I have searched the bios and i haven't found any fsb, voltage or memory timing ajustments (very anti overclocking oriented). Right now i have only been able to get to 102fsb (which plain sux) but i think i am limited bt my mem which is a 100mhz (cheep oem too). Do you think with good mem i could hit 133mhz fsb with a coppermine core, without voltage increase? If not are their any possible v mods for this board/processor?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2003 1:37:33 AM

You might be able to do it at stock voltage using PC133. Read the memory FAQ for information on PC133, the BX has a density limit.

You can raise the voltage by modifying VID pin assignments, but connecting two pins can be difficult on the Slot1 package. This is the main reason I've always recommended slot adapters with socket CPUs.

Anyway, if you have a 1.65v CPU, you have to connect a couple pins to raise the voltage before you can make any further adjustments. If you have a 1.70v or 1.75v CPU, you can adjust the voltage more easily by taping over pins. Download the Datasheet from Intel for your CPU and you'll get a chart with the correct information.

April 28, 2003 1:55:11 AM

i have a 1.65 slot 1
April 28, 2003 1:59:11 AM

thanx for the info i will get the cpu and mobo info tomarow.
April 28, 2003 3:27:30 AM

assuming i get 133mhz ram and bump up the cpu voltage to 1.75 volts, what are the chances that i will hit 931mhz (7*133)?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2003 12:36:37 PM

most later 700s would do 933 at stock voltage , others such as my wifes needed more voltage.

April 28, 2003 6:44:13 PM

My computer was assembled in mid september of year 2000, would that make it an early or late 700?
April 28, 2003 9:23:39 PM

Does anyone Know a website that outlines a slot 1 v mod?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2003 10:05:11 PM

You can download the voltage chart and connector assignment from Intel. Then it is a matter of covering with tape ti isolate or using rear window defogger kit to connect.

April 29, 2003 12:19:48 AM

I have just found a website that outlines how to change the voltage via dip swithes that would be connected to the slot that connects the processors daughter board to the motherboard.
http://www.overclockers.comau/techstuff/13oct99.shtml This seems like the easiest way for me and since i have some experience soldering i think it would be safer for me than any other ways. I checked the memory density specs and unfortonatly i seems i cannot use 512mb modules only 256 or below which is a bummer cause i was gonna go with one 512 which is cheeper than 2 256's. I have 2 new questions asssumming the mem, supports the OC (which it should) what other things could limit the OC? I have tried to use the 83mhz Fsb to make sure my AGP/PCI will support the higher clock speeds (b/c 83mhz uses a 2x divider and would be about the same PCI clock as 133mhz 3x divider)and everything was OK, but are their any other things that could limit me?
Also at about 933mhz will i need any aftermarket cooling if so what are my options (i have never seen a slot one aftermarket hsf, although I have never looked). And just out of curiousity more than anything what is the max vcore voltage that won't be too harsh on the processor. Also since all OC programs that i have tried have a max FSB of 133mhz for my board would i be OK going for some generic pc133 memory?
April 29, 2003 12:21:04 AM

BTW Thanx guys for bearing with me as i am quite a newbie to overclocking and V mods.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2003 6:11:19 AM

OK, you should REALLY read the memory FAQ! I doubt you'll find "generic" memory with 16-chips/256MB. 8-chip/256MB will be read as 128MB! I recommend you get your memory from Crucial, use the Abit BE6-II as a reference board since it has the same density limits.

SoftFSB should show you PCI frequency for any given FSB. BX supports a 1/4 PCI divider so I hope you have a board capable of using it with that program.

You really don't have any aftermarket cooling options. The problem is that you have the newer SECC2 package. PII's and Slot A Athlons used an SECC cooler, and with the popularity of Athlon overclocking, these coolers came in all sizes. Most "performance" SECC2 coolers are actually cheapies with extra fans added. You could always try to find a large passive SECC2 cooler from an OEM machine and add a fan, at least then you'd have large fins.

I recommend 1.85v or less for running your CPU at 933MHz

April 30, 2003 2:27:35 AM

Thank you crashman for pointing out my memory goof up. It totally slipped my mind that the board required 16 module ram i will go as you said with crucial 2x cL 2 non ecc 256mb dimms (CT32M64S4D7E) and they were recomended for my mobo.

Ok now about the divider softfsb does not work for some reason i have the cypress/Icw W149 PLL which although is supposidly a supported PLL anything i try locks the system. Therefore i have been using the OC tools in CPUcool which are similar to softfsb this program says that at 133.3 fsb the PCI bus will be 44.4mhz (which implies a 3x divider), maybe this is a GUI typo?
About cooling if my CPU starts really heating up i have some fans that i could put near the Heatsink to cool things down.

Now on a side note, I just realised I have an old(er) Lucky Star 6abx2v board which is a slot one board based on the 443bx chip set. Although it is an older board it has more overclocking options than my current board which has none. Would i be better off trying this overclock on that board (it supports 133mhz fsb) would my processor be able to run on this board?
Thanx again everyone for steering me in the right direction.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2003 2:59:53 AM

As long as the older board supports VRM 8.4 (ie, voltages lower than 1.80v), it should be a better choice for overclocking. You can fire it up at stock speeds to be certain it does (it won't even post if it doesn't). You might need a BIOS update for it.

May 1, 2003 6:57:00 PM

well I tryed the other board with an old PII 400 and another old isa graphics card to see if the board was still good (it was from a computer a local school was throwing away) the board worked. So i put my pIII in it and it was recognised as the correct processor and ran at the correct speeds. After a bios update i got more fsb speeds (at first it was 133 max) now the max is 150mhz which is more than enough. I now can get at post a 112mhz with my crap memory but i havn't tried to boot into windows yet as i was using a hard drive that had no OS on it (was blank i was only using a dos start up disk) so today i think i'll swap mobos and then latter get some memory and maybe eventually a v mod to see how high i can go. I was woundering though, does the 443bx chipset support a 4x pci divider?
Also the board i have recently be playing around with had the battery that powers the bios and board's clock removed, i was wondering if this is a special battery or could i use the same sized 3 volt battery from a store like cvs.
Thanx for all the help!
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2003 7:20:02 PM

Yes, the BX supports 1/4 PCI divider, but some early boards didn't. I think it was a limitation of the clock generator on boards that didn't. The lowest AGP diverder is 2/3, but 89MHz AGP clock is fine for most AGP cards.

May 1, 2003 7:26:39 PM

what about a battery for my bios (from my previous post)?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2003 12:58:53 AM

It's just a standard 3v battery.

May 2, 2003 2:25:46 AM

ok thanx,i thought maybe the board recharged the battery or something. Now i am currently running 7x112 with a clock of 784mhz and the best memory timmings the board will alow. So far everything is stable. However i need more time to make sure. I really want to change my memory to see what my processor can do, under normal load its a 35 degrees celcius, i'll have to download prime 95 to see what it is at full load. Durring the instalation of the motherboard however i noticed that the floppy and primary ide cable had one less pin on my bx-2 board than my bx on the 10th row of pins on the ide and 3rd row on my floppy, i am curious as to why this is, everything is working fine (i hade to use diffrent floppy and ide cables though) after all i thought they haven't made revisions to that stuff since the early 90's. Thanx you crashman and rick for all the help, this is my first overclock and thanks to you guys everything went well.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2003 5:12:08 AM

The missing pin is for cables that are "pin keyed" with one pinhole blocked off (so it only fits one way). Since your Jetway board is VRM 8.4 it's probably a fairly LATE revision board and just as new a design as your Intel board.

May 2, 2003 6:38:10 PM

i Just noticed a minor problem on shutdown the power doesn't automatically shut off windows says "It is now Safe to shut off your computer" Why is this? I am using the same powersupply (it never did this before) and to my knowladge everything is hooked up as it was on my other board.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2003 11:49:40 PM

Windows needs a way to shut it down, either through ACPI or APM. Make sure you have the necessary stuff enabled in BIOS and detected by the OS. ACPI can sometimes be problematic with certain BX BIOS.

May 4, 2003 7:36:04 PM

I'm sorry i do not know much about how the motherboard shuts down the power supply, what are the "necissaey stuff" that i should look for?
May 4, 2003 7:43:24 PM

sorry i spoke to soon i enabled apm through the power options in windows and everything is fine
thanks for all the help
!