need your help with 1800+

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
i was hoping maybe some of you could help me with advice on things to try here and ill post back with results.

my specs are athlon 1800+@1587.1 mhz, 138 fsb x11.5, chip is locked.
ak31 shuttle motherboard, with a via 266a chipset,
kingston hyper x 512 pc2700 ddr cas 2
geforce4 ti 4400 128 mb
550 watt antec true power psu.
well i have been trying to get my system fsb a little higher.
i have seen many cases of 150 + fsb and 190 in some cases.

lol i cant go any higher than 140 fsb at all.

i have tried slow settings, medium, fast, default, spd, host clock, etc.. it will not run at all after 140 fsb.

i have 3 volcanoe 9's , 1 on the northbridge, 1 huge one on a copper heat sync on the cpu and another on soutbridge, i have a fast rpm case side panel fan blowing on the memory which has a heat spreader, the case side is off and my a/c is blowing very cool air in there, the temps come up very low.

why wont this 1800+ go any higher than 140 fsb with good memory?

i have good power, memory and temps.
what should i set the ddr voltage too if anything other than default?
if anyone has specific settings i should use in the bios that would be awesome.

is it the mobo?
(ak31 shuttle via 266a chipset)
what should i try next?
do you think if i unlock the chip it will help?

i can only use 11, or 11.5 right now as multipliers i think.
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx for reading

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well if you unlock the chip and lower the multiplier you should be able to increase the FSB a bit more. More likely your cpu is jsut not one that will overclock... some will some won't depending on the batch... I have a 1700+ in my old system and I've been able to boot past 166 with no problems and a bit of voltage using a soyo board. I doubt it's your ram and certainly you don't need such extreem cooling on your north south bridge...

What are your temps??

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
around 86 to 98 degrees farenheit.
i just think the board/chipset is stopping at 140, im at 138 with all memory settings aggressive right now, benched good, is running good, just not much better than before.
i was just looking to squeeze a little more for my new favorite games.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
sounds like you've got a palomino. If so then dont expect too much out of it mate.
Can u remember if the die on the middle of the chip was square or rectangular?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
Have you tried increasing the VCore voltage? Your RAM isn't holding you back... it is more likely the CPU or the chipset.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
vcore is at 1.825
i cant remember if it is square or not, i have cpuid, and sandra, will it tell me anything in there about it in regards to that?
anyway i think im out of luck anyway, it was a great machine, no complaints, i just cant get enough juice out of her in viet cong or doom 3 anymore and i am toying with the possibilities.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i got the same chip i reckon. peice of poo. I'm only using air cooling but i couldnt get past 140 FSB either. And i know its not my MB or RAM holding me back. Come to think of it its not the HDD or any of my pci cards either. must be the chip.
gonna swap it out for a tbred 1800+ JIUHB DLT3C which i ordered yesterday for about 50 quid, and runs off 1.5V vcore at default. nice :p

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
yeah i agree, i think i am torn between getting a 1700+ with better stepping and overclocking it on this setup or getting an nforce board, the asus a7xn i think, and a barton chip, then i can take the shutttle mobo and palamino, with the pc2100 i have and put it in a case with a cdrom and hard drive and give it to one of my kids.

then all i need is a vid card, since i run a ti4400 now and i am trying to keep this down, i will probably grab a ti4600 from a show.

'then i can run the ti4600 and the nforce board , barton chip and this new hyper z memory i just got, im sure it will give significant gains from what im running now, that way i build 2 really for under $500.
and step up to a 166 fsb rather than this 133, perhaps i can even get it up to 170.
i really want to build a canterwood setup but right now isnt the time, i am short on funds and prices are still too high, ill wait till the fall and build the p4 depending on what comes up by then.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
short on funds? you dont know the half of it mate ;)
bartons look good but pair an abit nf7s (v2 of course) with a decent 1700+, and go nuts. :D

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
ps the current radeons are looking like a much better buy than a ti4600 right now.. that is if you are prepared for some instability. loads of people have ati boards running ok on the nforce2 platform but i've heard of some nightmare cases which prove otherwise.

i'd go for a 9500pro with a nf7s now. but thats me. I also like burnt toast...

svol

Champion
Well if you want to upgrade from an Ti4400 to an Ti4600 then you'd better OC the Ti4400 to Ti4600 speeds... saves you a lot of money.

And if you want to know which core your CPU has then download WCPUID and see which model number it gives you:
6=Palomino
7=T-bredA
8=T-bredB

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: