upgrade pix software

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 19, 2004 8:03:26 PM

Hello,

I have received a new .bin file for my 515E firewall, but not 100% sure of
the correct processes to do the upgrade. I have used tftp to copy the
current running config to a tftp server, so what is the next steps.
After upgrade, how do I copy the config from the tftp server back to the
pix. Would I have to reconfig it with a new ip before copying config back
from tftp or is there a different way to do it?

More about : upgrade pix software

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 12:50:02 PM

Next step is :

copy tftp flash,

which will initiate downloading binary image onto your PIX..
Normally, you should be able to assign original IP addresses to PIX, assign
the same range to your laptop and simply transfer image to PIX. I am niot
sure what you mean by "reconfiguring new IP address"

"jonathan" <jonathan_smit33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have received a new .bin file for my 515E firewall, but not 100% sure of
> the correct processes to do the upgrade. I have used tftp to copy the
> current running config to a tftp server, so what is the next steps.
> After upgrade, how do I copy the config from the tftp server back to the
> pix. Would I have to reconfig it with a new ip before copying config back
> from tftp or is there a different way to do it?

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:03:44 PM

jonathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have received a new .bin file for my 515E firewall, but not 100% sure of
> the correct processes to do the upgrade. I have used tftp to copy the
> current running config to a tftp server, so what is the next steps.
> After upgrade, how do I copy the config from the tftp server back to the
> pix. Would I have to reconfig it with a new ip before copying config back
> from tftp or is there a different way to do it?

hi...

thats easy.
have a look at www.cisco.com and enter "pix os upgrade" at
the search field.

an other way is the "?" button at the pix console
"cop ?" should show you the following hint:

pix# copy tftp[:[[//location][/pathname]]] flash[:[image | pdm]]

so if you want to update your pix u have to enter

pix# copy tftp://<server ip>/pix631.bin flash:image

for a software upgrade, or

pix# copy tftp://<server ip>/pdm-301.bin flash:ipdm

for a pdm upgrade.

you'll need enable privileges for a software upgrade.
!