I Can't log in because my "Logon method is not allowed"

anubus45

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
"You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on
this computer. Please see you network administrator for more details."

this is the exact error message I am getting when I try to log on to my computer.

So this morning my computer was working fine, I try accessing my laptop via the homegroup, realize that for some reason the homegroup on my pc (JK-1) was not the same as the rest of my computers, probably due to formatting a few weeks ago. I leave the homegroup that it's created, and join my normal homegroup, transfer the files I wanted to transfer (pictures) and go back to my laptop, leaving my PC alone. I have Windows set to lock the computer after 10 minutes of no activity, so I come back a few hours later and try to log in as usual, and the error message above comes up.

The problem here, is that I am the network administrator in question, and thus have no one to turn to. The only solutions I've been able to find have all been related to domain controllers, and all of them have affected only the normal users, not administrator accounts. The problems here are 1: There is no domain on my network, and there never has been, and 2: My account is an administrator account, and the error message is presented anyways.

I have tried safe mode, which also presents the same error message when I try to log on, and "last known good configuration" which also does nothing. I tried briefly to access group policy editor via the command line in repair mode, but with no success.

Any help in the matter would be appreciated. I could boot up linux, backup my data to my storage drives, and just format if I need to, however, I would like to leave that as an absolute last resort, as I'm sure this matter should be possible to remedy without resorting to such drastic measures.

mattshwink1

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
There might be a few ways to fix this:

If you have another Windows computer (preferably the same version) that is in the same workgroup/homegroup you should be able to connect and fix things (or at least look around).

1. Setup the same username and password on the computer you are trying to connect from (this makes it so you don't have to try to logon manually). Then you can open GPEDIT.msc and connect to the remote computer. You can then try to modify the local policy to see if that is wrong.

2. If you have a different user setup on the computer (even a non-admin) try logging in as that. Alternatively, you can connect from your other computer and open users and groups and create a different user(s) and try logging on with those.

anubus45

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
*sigh*

Do you think you could elaborate on the process of "connecting" to the remote computer? The user for this computer and my PC I'm locked out of are already identical, and so far, that doesn't seem to have gotten me anywhere.

I've tried everything I've been able to find for trying to connect to my PC using gpedit, or to try to edt group policy on my PC remotely from my laptop, but it always turns up an "access denied."

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
R-Click on my computer and hit computer management.

THen you'll see where it says "Computer Management(Local Computer)" in the top left.

Click there and choose "Connect to another computer..."

Type in the name of the problem computer and hit enter.

Hopefully you're in there to fix it now.

sk12k

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
You can try the following:

1. Login to the system with any other account with admin privilages (you can use default windows administrator account)
2. right click on Computer icon --> click Manage
3. Go to Local users and groups --> go to groups
4. you should find the account (with which you are facing problem logging in) added as a member to groups "Guests" and "Users".
5. remove this account from both the groups and restart / re-log in and it should work fine.. (it worked for me :) )

Thanks