SOS!! 70 Degree on XP2400+ with MSI K7N2G-L MB !!!

shaolinguy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
Hii...this is my first post...hallooo all of ya!
I build a computer for my friend with the AMD athlon XP2400+ and the MSI K7N2G-L Nforce 2 motherboard. I used the stock HS with the skived fins but i removed the thermal tape and replaced it with a thin layer of AC3..the HS base and the CPU is cleaned very thoroughly. After going into bios, the temp slowly rises and max out at 70C. Is this normal or a lil too high? I know that MSI measures temp directly from the CPU Temp diode so should i be worried to DEATH NOW?? HELP ME!! PLZ
The temp is take with the case open. So is there something wrong? ALLAH...help me...inshallah!! aaah help me...i am loosing sleep and food and sooon my sanity..........alllaaaah....

igo_hams

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003
Is the heatsink leveled with the socket? Only use a very thin layer of AC3. On the amd site there are instructions how to place the heatsink.

Don't bother upgraden your PC, Microsoft wil alwayse be able to slow it down.

Under those circumstances you may want to consider a higher performance heatsink.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

wjohnsaunders

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I too recently got an XP 2400+ to put in a motherboard with direct thermal diode temp measurement. When I first switched it on the temp was 58, then rose to about 65 after some time and stayed there.

However the stock HSF I got was not skived. It was plain aluminium extruded with a zinc plated copper block screwed to the base, with a thin Delta fan (rated at approx 21CFM).
I found the screws holding the copper block were very loose, so I removed the block and existing paste, used some Arctic Silver to replace the block and tightened the screws. Made about a 3 degree difference. Basically the HSF is designed to just cope. If you put a 30CFM fan on it you will probably save 5 more degrees.

I think the limit for Althons is 85 degrees when measured from the internal diode. However if you are too close to the limit on a cool day then you will have problems during summer.