final fantasy 9

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

so ok i dealt with it because it was final fantasy. and yes it was
better than most rpgs out anyway. but does anyone else agree it was a
bit of a let down? memorble characters? i think not, how bout the story
line? I sure as hell didnt care. do i think it was thrown together to
cash in on final fantasy fans, at the end of the psx life, most
definetly so.
9 answers Last reply
More about final fantasy
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    christoforever wrote:

    > so ok i dealt with it because it was final fantasy. and yes it was
    > better than most rpgs out anyway. but does anyone else agree it was a
    > bit of a let down? memorble characters? i think not, how bout the story
    > line? I sure as hell didnt care. do i think it was thrown together to
    > cash in on final fantasy fans, at the end of the psx life, most
    > definetly so.

    Vivi, Steiner, and Dagger were worthwhile characters. Zidane was pretty
    unmemorable. I loved the referenced to the previous games. However, the
    standard swap to the "real enemy" in this one was very frustrating; at
    least in the other games, you had some hint about who the true enemy was
    before that final battle.

    --
    - Blaine

    http://www.bureau42.com

    "The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has
    merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one."
    - Albert Einstein.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    W. Blaine Dowler wrote:
    > christoforever wrote:
    >

    >>so ok i dealt with it because it was final fantasy. and yes it was
    >>better than most rpgs out anyway. but does anyone else agree it was a
    >>bit of a let down? memorble characters? i think not, how bout the story
    >>line? I sure as hell didnt care. do i think it was thrown together to
    >>cash in on final fantasy fans, at the end of the psx life, most
    >>definetly so.
    >

    > Vivi, Steiner, and Dagger were worthwhile characters. Zidane was pretty
    > unmemorable. I loved the referenced to the previous games. However, the
    > standard swap to the "real enemy" in this one was very frustrating; at
    > least in the other games, you had some hint about who the true enemy was
    > before that final battle.

    Yea i guess your right. It was a throwback to the older final fantasies,
    but it just seemed unspectacular, if i may say so. it was just lacking
    and i cant point my finger at one thing, i just remember thinking, after
    i had finished the game, was this it....? no real fond memories of the
    game, do i have even today.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    christoforever wrote:
    > Yea i guess your right. It was a throwback to the older final
    > fantasies, but it just seemed unspectacular, if i may say so. it was
    > just lacking and i cant point my finger at one thing, i just remember
    > thinking, after i had finished the game, was this it....? no real
    > fond memories of the game, do i have even today.

    It was just a very light hearted and unpretentious interactive fairy tale
    (no real challenge was its main flaw) that was probably aimed towards a much
    younger audience - sort of like FFx2 was towards girls, you can't really
    blame Square for trying to cover all bases.

    Not a great game by any means but a nice change of pace from the previous
    ones.

    And if anybody's looking for a challenge they shouldn't be playing FF
    anyway - go fire up one of the Shin Megami Tensei games instead.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:54:33 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
    wrote:

    >christoforever wrote:
    >> Yea i guess your right. It was a throwback to the older final
    >> fantasies, but it just seemed unspectacular, if i may say so. it was
    >> just lacking and i cant point my finger at one thing, i just remember
    >> thinking, after i had finished the game, was this it....? no real
    >> fond memories of the game, do i have even today.
    >
    >It was just a very light hearted and unpretentious interactive fairy tale
    >(no real challenge was its main flaw) that was probably aimed towards a much
    >younger audience - sort of like FFx2 was towards girls, you can't really

    No, no, no. FF9 was definitely aimed towards an older audience. The
    type of person who thinks that FF6 was the end-all be-all of video
    games and that FF7 is nothing more than FMVs.

    Rob
    ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    --

    Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
    because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

    Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
    a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

    Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

    "These days all the war games are like 'man down, we need an artillery
    strike, bla bla bla.' Where is my version of the invasion of Iraq
    where Saddam is a hundred feet tall and shooting ghosts out of his
    head or where Afghanistan is defended by a dragon that drops eggs on
    you?"
    --Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons, Fashion SWAT "Retro SWAT 4"
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    > christoforever wrote:
    >> Yea i guess your right. It was a throwback to the older final
    >> fantasies, but it just seemed unspectacular, if i may say so. it was
    >> just lacking and i cant point my finger at one thing, i just remember
    >> thinking, after i had finished the game, was this it....? no real
    >> fond memories of the game, do i have even today.
    >
    > It was just a very light hearted and unpretentious interactive fairy tale
    > (no real challenge was its main flaw) that was probably aimed towards a
    > much
    > younger audience - sort of like FFx2 was towards girls, you can't really
    > blame Square for trying to cover all bases.
    >
    > Not a great game by any means but a nice change of pace from the previous
    > ones.
    >
    > And if anybody's looking for a challenge they shouldn't be playing FF
    > anyway - go fire up one of the Shin Megami Tensei games instead.

    What I didnt like about the game was how the enemies suddenly got really
    hard to beat during the tower or castle, can't remember which. The one where
    the enemy was one of your own party and you had to swap them out or they'd
    get turned to stone. I think it was the only Final Fantasy that I never
    replayed.
    Donk
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    Donkey wrote:
    > "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>christoforever wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yea i guess your right. It was a throwback to the older final
    >>>fantasies, but it just seemed unspectacular, if i may say so. it was
    >>>just lacking and i cant point my finger at one thing, i just remember
    >>>thinking, after i had finished the game, was this it....? no real
    >>>fond memories of the game, do i have even today.
    >>
    >>It was just a very light hearted and unpretentious interactive fairy tale
    >>(no real challenge was its main flaw) that was probably aimed towards a
    >>much
    >>younger audience - sort of like FFx2 was towards girls, you can't really
    >>blame Square for trying to cover all bases.
    >>
    >>Not a great game by any means but a nice change of pace from the previous
    >>ones.
    >>
    >>And if anybody's looking for a challenge they shouldn't be playing FF
    >>anyway - go fire up one of the Shin Megami Tensei games instead.
    >>

    > What I didnt like about the game was how the enemies suddenly got really
    > hard to beat during the tower or castle, can't remember which. The one where
    > the enemy was one of your own party and you had to swap them out or they'd
    > get turned to stone. I think it was the only Final Fantasy that I never
    > replayed.
    > Donk

    I think you nailed it on the head donk. It indeed was a great game, but
    after you were done that was it, you didnt really want to head back and
    play again, for what ever reason, i know i sure havent. All the other
    final fantasys i've played over many a times, but 9 just didnt have the
    charm to replay again.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    "Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:54:33 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >christoforever wrote:
    > >> Yea i guess your right. It was a throwback to the older final
    > >> fantasies, but it just seemed unspectacular, if i may say so. it was
    > >> just lacking and i cant point my finger at one thing, i just remember
    > >> thinking, after i had finished the game, was this it....? no real
    > >> fond memories of the game, do i have even today.
    > >
    > >It was just a very light hearted and unpretentious interactive fairy tale
    > >(no real challenge was its main flaw) that was probably aimed towards a
    much
    > >younger audience - sort of like FFx2 was towards girls, you can't really
    >
    > No, no, no. FF9 was definitely aimed towards an older audience. The
    > type of person who thinks that FF6 was the end-all be-all of video
    > games and that FF7 is nothing more than FMVs.
    >
    > Rob

    i disagree. i defiantely like ff6/ff3 the most of all final fantasy games
    for many reasons, but ff9 didnt have a hook. it didnt make me want to get
    any further in the game and really lacked the type of characters and
    developement that i like in a ff game. (i agree that vivi was a great char
    tho)

    yosh
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

    christoforever wrote:

    > no real fond memories of the
    > game, do i have even today.

    I really enjoyed the ability system and synth system. The story itself was
    overly basic in many ways, I admit, but the gameplay had its moments.

    --

    "W. Blaine Dowler" <fiziko@NOSPAMbureau42.com> wrote in message
    > christoforever wrote:
    >
    > > no real fond memories of the
    > > game, do i have even today.
    >
    > I really enjoyed the ability system and synth system. The story itself
    was
    > overly basic in many ways, I admit, but the gameplay had its moments.

    The gameplays fatal flaw was how long it took the characters RT meters to
    charge even with battle speed turned all the way up. The battles had a lot
    of animation delays too. It was an alright game overall though, not the best
    FF but not the worst either.

    > --
    > - Blaine
    >
    > http://www.bureau42.com
    >
    > "The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has
    > merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one."
    > - Albert Einstein.

Final Fantasy Games Video Games