How much TP for ATi GPU

TARIK26Z

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I brought the 9700pro, I also brougth a water cooling unit (swifttech mcw50) my question is that when I TOOK the heatsink stock fan unit off of the card there is a small block and around it is a green area this is sunken down, I think I read somwhere that if I filled that area up with thermal paste I would get better results. so should I do it or just put it on that little square?

svol

Champion
Well the square block is the core which generates the heat while the green area is just the package. You want your waterblock to touch the core, making it touch the green area wont help much (if any) and could short-circuit your card because there are some resistors on it.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

gordonfreemman

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
god!dare u don't know it is core, the perfermance depends on how much u can overclock it, u'better not to fill too much around, otherwise the thermal grease won't work well, u'll get sucked.

baby r u high?

nYak

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Just a thin layer on the black area (the vpu core) will do fine. Don't get it on the green pcb itself as it can result in a short and will damage the board, and because you monkeyed with the board you now have no warranty.
It you do get some paste on the green pcb then clean it off with some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab before you try to use the card.
And btw there is a certian point in which overclocking becomes less effective. The higher you go the less the core will scale. Don't try to squeeze a few more Mhz out of it. Just settle on a stable yet fast overclock and then LEAVE IT BE, you may not see it straight away but it can lead to a much shortend lifespan of the card.