AMD Radeon HD 6750 on old PC ok for gaming?

McTrickster

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I've been wanting to start computer gaming on my PC for a while now, but when I started my research, I was completely new at it. I have a better idea of what I might want (a new graphics card) but I'm not sure if I'd be able to use it properly with my current PC:

HP Pavilion a1612n
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
2.20 GHz, 2.93 GB of RAM (upgraded from 980 MB)
Power Source: 300W Max
GeForce 6150LE
DirectX 9.0c
Windows XP Professional

(Apologies if I missed anything, just tell me if I did)

I have a pretty tight budget, $100 or so, so I was thinking of investing in an AMD Radeon HD 6750 (or something similar).

I'd like to be able to play games such as Mass Effect and Skyrim (typical haha), but I'm not picky about graphics, so low settings would suffice.
Sorry if I'm asking for something ridiculous... still pretty new to this O:
Any advice?

abbadon_34

Distinguished
take those power requirements , just like "recommended system requirements" with a grain of salt. they basically assume you know nothing and are using a cheap crappy power supply and over shoot the figure just to be safe. A good quality psu can low rated yet better in all aspects. Without knowing more, I'd say go for the AMD 7750. It takes all it's power from the PCI-E slot, so you don't have to worry about power connectors, and is one of if not the lowest in power consumption so even a cheapo PSU *should* run it. And it's surprisingly not bad. Right now it's about $85-90 depending on whether you do the rebate.

P.S. The rest of your comp is pretty dated, so I would start planning your next compter after this.

for that old amd cpu the 67xx cards are to strong. it will seriously bottleneck. you will need something no more powerfull that an 8400gs or an old school 6800gt
to have a balanced pc.
really you want to look at upgrades. if your motherboard supports it look on ebay for a 6000x2 and 9800gt and a 450w psu. that way you will meet minimum requirments for almost any game currently out. and have a well balanced pc.
currently waht you have is underspec for gaming by some margin.