Overclocking 1700+ on MSI KT3V

zeno

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Could someone please give me the short speach or a link to a howto on how to unlock the Tbred.. It's the same as the palamino, right? Just close the 4 L1 bridges?

Sorry for the stupid question, but it seems my coming into the game so late has made it hard to find a how-to on the project. I did try searcing the forum (I found a link here way back before I bought one), but I had little luck..

Also, if anyone has some good advice for me, I'd love to hear it! Maby a good starting point to save me time, or prefered cooling would help.. I'm running 256 megs of 2700 ram (cas 2.5 cause I'm poor)..

Thanks for the help, and sorry again for being the guy to post the crap no one wants to ever see again.. Maby make a sticky with the OC methods for the current chips?

Say, what version of DOS is on this sparc thingie?

svol

Champion
Your T-bred should be factory unlocked for the low range multipliers (12.5x and below). If your L1 bridge are not factory closed then you can do it the same as with a Palomino: close all 5 L1 bridges.

That board has a KT333 chipset right? Well I think you should be able to run your CPU at 166MHz FSB with default multiplier of 11x... you might need to increase the VCore 0.05-0.1V though.

What do you currently have as cooling?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

zeno

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Thanks for the responce! I don't think my chip is unlocked.. I went into the bios and the multiplier is greyed out.. Could you give me the prefered method of closing the bridges? I seem to remember using epoxy to fill in the valleys between, then useing something to bridge it (any clue what?), then covering that with super glue or something..

Also, I can't get the darn thing to run stable past a 149 FSB.. The CPU temp is reading 52C at that speed, which I wouldn't think would make the whole thing unstable.. Anything else I should check? Could this possibly be a Vcore problem?

And finally, I have the retail HS/fan combo (so I could definately use some good cooling suggestions)..

Thanks again for the help.

zeno

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Thanks for the responce! I don't think my chip is unlocked.. I went into the bios and the multiplier is greyed out.. Could you give me the prefered method of closing the bridges? I seem to remember using epoxy to fill in the valleys between, then useing something to bridge it (any clue what?), then covering that with super glue or something..

Also, I can't get the darn thing to run stable past a 149 FSB.. The CPU temp is reading 52C at that speed, which I wouldn't think would make the whole thing unstable.. Anything else I should check? Could this possibly be a Vcore problem?

And finally, I have the retail HS/fan combo (so I could definately use some good cooling suggestions)..

Thanks again for the help.

svol

Champion
Yes use something non-conductive to fill the holes between the bridge heads and then use silver-conductive glue or paint or a silver conductive pensil to connect the bridge heads. You don't have to cover it again after that... but putting some tape on it might protect it.

52C shouldn't be bad unless it is at zero load. If your CPU doesn't seem to be able to handle a faster speed then increasing the VCore slightly (0,05V) might help... but remember that this will also increase temps.

As for cooling: the Swiftech MCX-462(+), Thermalright SLK-800 and Thermaltake Volcano 7+ or 11 are among the best coolers.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: