cpu fan duct system

butthead007

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
hey all. i have been looking for a good way to cool my cpu and this is what i found, let me know what u think.

http://www.directron.com/badongs80.html and here http://www.directron.com/isolation.html at the bottom

it will decrease the cpu temp with about 5'C!!!!and u dont need those noisey fans anymore!! i want to combine this with a ventec nexus aeroflow.does anyone have it and how well does it cool? i do want to do some overclocking.only problem is that i cant find any place to buy one of those cpu fan duct systems in holland :((((.Oh well if i cant find it i'll just have to make one myself.

my rig:

XP barton 2500+@2102Mhz stock HSF temp stress 57C
A7N8X
kingston hyper x ...2x 256mb cl.2
wd 80 gig 8 mb cache
asus geforce 2 MX400 :(((((

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I can't remember the site, but I saw someone make one of those with a paintball container. He just dremmeled a hole in the side of a case, and inserted the plastic tube on top of the heatsink fan. Although the cooling was supposed to be great, the increase in noise was also substantial- either way, you might want to do it yourself, that thing is a bit expensive, and its more fun to mod it anyway!

butthead007

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
ya ur right about that...i think i will just make one myself. i just dont understand, if those things help so much in reducing ur cpu temp, that theres bairly anything on the market that works like that. any advice on what HSF i should take? i want a HSF with little noise but also one which is good for some overclocking or atleat is better than the one i have. first i wanted to go with the ventec aeroflow but i heard some bad stories about it.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
search the siiiite before asking questions like that, but real quickly i can tell you the slk-800 is great

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$E R 8E10NG 2 U$</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Intake ducting can reduce CPU temps quite noticeably.

There are a couple of considerations... the longer or more convoluted the ducting the more it will restrict airflow, so if you aren't careful you could end up with the same or worse temperatures. Also this won't necessarily be quieter, all you might succeed in doing is re-directing the sound out the back of your case.

One thing you can try for free, is to take a file folder (or similar cardboard) and cut a 2" wide strip off one side... wrap this around your CPU fan so that it stands above the fan like a chimney, trim away the excess length, fold at the corners, tape it up nice and pretty and see what you get.

I did this with a couple of computers and got 3 to 5 degree temperature reductions. This doesn't bring in outside air, but it does prevent the fan from sucking in the hot air from the heatsink and sending it back around. With decent case airflow this could be all you need.

If I was going after room air intake I'd probably prefer to use an opening in the side of the case and a cone shaped attachment to the CPU fan to bring it in.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

butthead007

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
thanks for the advice. now i'm just waiting for my new case so i can mod it.i'll let u know how it goes and what the results r with and without a fan duct.