Sign in with
Your question

unlocking proccessor

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 3, 2003 6:18:26 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before...
I'm new to overclocking...please help
I really need to know how to unlock my cpu.
I'm using P42.66Ghz on P4G8X deluxe board with 2X corsair xms3200c2 512Mb
My bios doesn't let me to set the multiplier
When i checked my mobo's manual, it say's my proccessor needs to be unlocked to use the multiplier feature.
Is it better to use lower multiplier and raise the fsb.
I'm planning to raise the fsb to 200 and lower the multiplier(maybe 15 of higher)......with a thermaltake Spark7 hsf.
Is this good or is it possible...?????
Will higher fsb hurt any of my parts,(cpu, motherboard or anything)
How to overclock my CPU....please help..
I'm really confused and need help....so i came to THG forum
thanks for all your answer.....

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

More about : unlocking proccessor

May 3, 2003 12:47:13 PM

Sadly, one cannot change the multiplier of P4.
May 3, 2003 1:12:04 PM

P4s are mechanically locked and no-one knows how to unlock them (it probably means core modefication). The only unlocked P4s around are engineering samples.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
Related resources
May 3, 2003 8:28:50 PM

thanks to you and prof133...i learned something today........
what a sad news...
i was hoping to get 200 fsb out of my sweet P4G8X..
Guess, i have to wait for centerwood proccessor and then overclock my P4G8X to 200 fsb...planning to get 3.0Ghz later. Anyway i just bought this proccessor a month back..
I'll wanna try to squeze each drop of 2.66Ghz..

Please help me....i'm new and very interested in overclocking...
Thanks...

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!
May 4, 2003 1:03:29 PM

Just start increasing the FSB and see how high you can get, if the CPU runs unstable or wont boot at a certain FSB increasing the VCore (CPU Voltage) can help it to run better at the higher speed. You might not get 200 MHz FSB out of your CPU, but you sure can increase the CPU speed and FSB higher then stock. I think 3 GHz for CPU wont be a great problem.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
May 5, 2003 10:02:41 AM

Thanks man, i'll try do to that.
But i might wait for Thermaltake SubZero cooling system.
Do anyone have idea how much is it???
I've been finding everywhere......
Thanks......

May 5, 2003 1:27:59 PM

Don't buy a peltier and aircooling combo... it is an absolute waste of money. If you want to get the physical calculations I made to proof it is a waste then just ask.

A good heatsink and fan will perform much better and will be much more silent and cheap.

!