Closed

Blizzard: Diablo 3 Can ''Cannibalize'' WoW Players

Tags:
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Diablo
  • Blizzard
Last response: in News comments
March 21, 2011 7:24:30 PM

Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... the first Guild Wars was still a far superior game than WoW, and no monthly subscription. Then again, I hate WoW so I might be biased.
Score
March 21, 2011 7:25:13 PM

I'm still thinking it's going to be World of StarCraft - which will have to be HUGE. They let that other guy keep developing to get everything to think they aren't going that way.
Score
March 21, 2011 7:31:37 PM

WoW sucks and I bet D3 will be rather disappointing in terms of graphics.
Score
March 21, 2011 7:34:58 PM

K2N haterWoW sucks and I bet D3 will be rather disappointing in terms of graphics.

A game doesn't rape every setup available with amazing graphics, and instead offers fun, refined, and addictive gameplay, and you have a problem with that?
Score
March 21, 2011 7:38:56 PM

davewolfgangI'm still thinking it's going to be World of StarCraft - which will have to be HUGE. They let that other guy keep developing to get everything to think they aren't going that way.

It's not going to be. Blizzard has already stated that "Titan" will be a brand new IP. So any existing franchise is out of the question.
Score
March 21, 2011 7:45:29 PM

davewolfgangI'm still thinking it's going to be World of StarCraft - which will have to be HUGE. They let that other guy keep developing to get everything to think they aren't going that way.

Unfortunately, I think there are more fantasy fans than SciFi fans, so, no, I do not think that WoStarCraft will kill WoW.

I think the best setting for the game to kill WoW is something in between. Like W40K, were you have Orks, Elves (sorry, Eldars)just modernized, and you still have spells... Starcraft even though has roots (he he) in W40K completely misses the fantasy part.

So, World of Warhammer 40K (WoW40K) is my prediction for the best WoW killer.
Score
March 21, 2011 7:48:02 PM

Whatever the new MMO is, please, please, please do not let the art director from WoW touch it. As stupid as it sounds I have a difficult time getting into WoW because I want the fierce cataclysmic mentality, but I'm stuck in a Walt Disney backdrop...it just doesn't work for me. What would be nice if they could actually make their cinematic art style follower closer to the in-game art style (WAR being a good example).
Score
March 21, 2011 7:52:22 PM

On Topic:
I don't play wow in the first place but I did for about 2 weeks, then stopped but I'll definitely be getting this game.

Off Topic:
Advert to the right of this comment says

"Cheap WOW Gold"
$1.8/1000G

I hate it when they don't look into what they advertise but I guess money is money right?

RS was hosting adverts that took over the users PC and installed software, everyone was in a panic lol.
Score
March 21, 2011 7:56:37 PM

IMO, Rift is likely to do so before D3. Blizzard is notorious for missing deadlines. Rift already has well over 1M subscribers, and if you ask me, the game is much better looking, and has a better feel to it than WoW. After playing wow for multiple years, (from release to WotLK), I can say that I am much happier with Rift.
Score
March 21, 2011 8:12:20 PM

Now, if only I were confident that Blizzard would be able to stop the rampant cheating that has plagued all of its previous Diablo games. I may be a minority in this regard, but I would gladly pay a subscription fee to Blizzard for D3 if it meant they would be able to address cheating to the same extent they do in WoW.
Score
March 21, 2011 8:15:42 PM

It will be fine for now Blizzard. It is the calm before the storm... The Old Republic is coming...
Score
March 21, 2011 8:17:25 PM

i wuld say rift is a good counter part agenst wow
Score
March 21, 2011 8:26:49 PM

joytech22Off Topic:Advert to the right of this comment says "Cheap WOW Gold"$1.8/1000GI hate it when they don't look into what they advertise but I guess money is money right?RS was hosting adverts that took over the users PC and installed software, everyone was in a panic lol.

Adblock Plus. Works wonders. :) 
Score
March 21, 2011 8:37:01 PM

AMW1011 said:
Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... , and no monthly subscription.

MxM said:
Unfortunately, I think there are more fantasy fans than SciFi fans, so, no, I do not think that WoStarCraft will kill WoW. ... I think the best setting for the game to kill WoW is something ... Like W40K, were you have Orks, Elves (sorry, Eldars)just modernized, and you still have spells...

pooflinger1 said:
IMO, Rift is likely to do so before D3. Blizzard is notorious for missing deadlines. ...

It looks like several different games will eat away at WoW. I have not played Rift, but I do like what I have seen so far. Even though Blizzard pushes back deadlines often, the resulting games look good and have a lot of re-playability.
Score
March 21, 2011 8:45:44 PM

K2N haterWoW sucks and I bet D3 will be rather disappointing in terms of graphics.

Blizzard has "game player trailers" posted that show exactly what the graphics will look like... No reason to speculate....when you can see the graphics in trailers made from actual game play...

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/
Score
March 21, 2011 8:51:39 PM

The problem with all these "WoW Killers" is that they focus on gamer personalities. As someone who still leads a guild in WoW its amazing to me how many applicants we get who have never played another video game outside of their iPhone.

Gamers probably make up something like 10-20% of WoW and the rest are non-gamers who got pulled in off the streets. Until a MMO comes along that can grab non-gamers and make them want to log in and group with others (make a gamer wanna-be out of them) then WoW is safe.
Score
March 21, 2011 9:10:51 PM

joytech22...Advert to the right of this comment...
wiyosayaAdblock Plus. Works wonders.
I seriously read his comment twice, then looked at the comment box, found no ad, and wondered "...huh?" then realized I had Adblock installed! :) 

Score
March 21, 2011 9:18:40 PM

AMW1011Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... the first Guild Wars was still a far superior game than WoW, and no monthly subscription. Then again, I hate WoW so I might be biased.

Guild Wars was excellent! Very tactical gameplay and so well balanced. Can't wait for GW2
Score
March 21, 2011 9:28:46 PM

Diablo 3.... when's that due, 2012, 2014? 2020? I mean i'm sure a 4billion a year company with over 2,000 employees could somehow produce sequels to their non Warcraft franchise every 10 years...

uggg, just think, imagine if Blizzard plans to announce a new Warcraft RTS expansion or sequel, like Warcraft IV... Hey, it'll only be 15 years.
Score
March 21, 2011 9:40:17 PM

AMW1011Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... the first Guild Wars was still a far superior game than WoW, and no monthly subscription. Then again, I hate WoW so I might be biased.

Tried Guild Wars and just couldn't get into it. Very VERY pretty, but didn't really like the gameplay and the grind.

But yes, you're biased. :D 
Score
March 21, 2011 9:55:58 PM

While I do play WoW, I'm all for the WoW-killers out there. I played the demos for a few mmo's and wasn't impressed. Rifts looks decent, but the screen shots weren't inspiring. There are so many ways to play WoW that can keep one entertained, it's tough for new mmo's I think. I don't think WoW will hold up when the "average system" has at least a quad-core and the capabilities of a 570 or 6970....in two or three years. The graphics are cartoonish, but the game is still fun. Unreal's new engine in an mmo...that would be smoke'n.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 21, 2011 10:16:03 PM

Rift and Guild Wars 2 won't stand a chance against WoW. EVERY MMO that has ever been released says that they're the 'WoW-killer', but none have done it so far. Knights of the Old Republic will probably be a success. I would guess a couple million subscribers at the most. But NOTHING can bring down a Blizzard game except for another Blizzard game. Also, don't talk about the bots in D2, they were Blizzard North's fault. This is the first Diablo game made by the actual Blizzard company.
Score
March 21, 2011 10:53:31 PM

What's going to ultimately hurt Rift, is the lack of trial accounts. Most people aren't going to dump $50-60 into a subscription based game, without being able to try it out first...especially from a new company they've never heard of before. Trion Worlds, according to their own website, has 2 completed games and is working on a 3rd in conjunction with Syfy (Formerly Sci-Fi) yet they claim to be the "premier publisher and developer of connected video games".... Trion World's even got their Rift site directly from Blizzard's World of Warcraft site....lol.

I'll give Rift a try, when the people are Trion Worlds finally pull their heads out of their asses and allow free trials.
Score
March 21, 2011 11:39:10 PM

Some of these articles aren't exactly News. Wow is like 20 years old and, therefore, is on the decline. Of course Blizzard wants to keep its players. Titan should have targeted release summer 2012, not Q4, 2013. They're gonna lose a lot of players by then because Wow's graphics are only tolerable because of their cartoony look nowadays.
Score
March 22, 2011 12:03:42 AM

I was just playing Sacred Gold lately. Sure, looks like garbage, but damn it's fun.
To be honest, if they weren't so pissy about using the custom resolution hack, I'd probably still be playing Diablo 2 today.
Score
March 22, 2011 12:42:19 AM

dalauderSome of these articles aren't exactly News. Wow is like 20 years old and, therefore, is on the decline. Of course Blizzard wants to keep its players. Titan should have targeted release summer 2012, not Q4, 2013. They're gonna lose a lot of players by then because Wow's graphics are only tolerable because of their cartoony look nowadays.

Blizzard, as a company, is 20 years old. WoW is only 10 years old. If you pay any attention to the gaming industry, you'd have already known that WoW is in fact not on a "decline" as you claim. WoW recently recorded 12 million active subscriptions....that's an increase from the previous count of 11 million active subscriptions. I don't see where an increase in active subscriptions qualifies as declining...
Score
March 22, 2011 5:16:15 AM

I don't think the players of WoW are going anywhere. Some may go to Diablo III, but I'd wager that many will take out dual subscriptions.
Score
March 22, 2011 8:59:16 AM

From the screens Diablo 3 looks like a 1999 game anyways...
Score
March 22, 2011 9:46:02 AM

Every single MMO launched in the last five years has been dubbed a 'WoW Killer'. Quite frankly it's a dream that hasn't even been close to realized.

Since WoW launched only four other MMOs have even seen over a million subscribers. Those titles are Aion, Lineage, Lineage II, and Runsescape. Of those four the only with even moderate success was Aion. Aion peaked at 4 millions subscribers (only a marginal 25% of WoW) and has begun a decline. All those WoW Killers like Warhammer, Conan, Galaxies, and LotR? They didn't even hit the million subscriber mark.

As for the future of WoW? Subscriber rates dropped some at the end of WotLK but are right back up to the 12 million mark. I fully expect WoW to have dips in active subscribers until the end of its run but should maintain 10 million or more until the lights go out. So please, can we stop with the 'WoW Killer' nonsense until a game manages maybe even 50% of the subscriber base WoW has. 6 million wouldn't actually be that close, but at least it wouldn't be laughable.
Score
March 22, 2011 10:16:43 AM

Guild Wars is awesome, still is and GW2 is going to blow socks off.

There is one simple reason: I refuse to pay for a game I already bought.
Score
March 22, 2011 11:44:19 AM

WoW is definitely getting old and tired, however Blizzard will flog that horse until it has no blood left in it. It is just too much of a cash cow to be retired so eventually WoW as we know it will die a slow horrible death. Rift is similar enough to WoW to gain the most from the WoW customers and new enough to offer a shiny new gaming experience. Not that you can really blame Blizzard for keeping on pushing WoW, would you give up something that gave you mountains of money everyday?
Score
March 22, 2011 12:13:56 PM

ikefuThe problem with all these "WoW Killers" is that they focus on gamer personalities. As someone who still leads a guild in WoW its amazing to me how many applicants we get who have never played another video game outside of their iPhone.Gamers probably make up something like 10-20% of WoW and the rest are non-gamers who got pulled in off the streets. Until a MMO comes along that can grab non-gamers and make them want to log in and group with others (make a gamer wanna-be out of them) then WoW is safe.

Yes I agree that most other games are designed for gamers. The simplicity of WoW is why it has done so well. It is by far the easiest MMO I have ever played and that is exactly why I don't play it anymore. It did bring many "non-gamers" into the gaming world. You say that other games need to do the same but I have already seen many people on other games who have only played WoW. WoW introduced them to MMOs / gaming and now they are looking for better things. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

sykozisWhat's going to ultimately hurt Rift, is the lack of trial accounts. Most people aren't going to dump $50-60 into a subscription based game, without being able to try it out first...especially from a new company they've never heard of before. Trion Worlds, according to their own website, has 2 completed games and is working on a 3rd in conjunction with Syfy (Formerly Sci-Fi) yet they claim to be the "premier publisher and developer of connected video games".... Trion World's even got their Rift site directly from Blizzard's World of Warcraft site....lol.I'll give Rift a try, when the people are Trion Worlds finally pull their heads out of their asses and allow free trials.

It is very, very rare for a pay to play MMO to have a trial at launch. WoW didn't and most of the other big MMOs didn't either. Like most MMOs they will probably introduce one later.
Score
March 22, 2011 12:34:14 PM

I hope Rift can steal enough players to remain viable for a good set of years. I am playing it now and it is very polished at this point. I am not sure of the end game material since I am not there yet. However, it has been a lot of fun and the customization is great. I liked WoW a lot when I played it, but the daily grind to be at par got too much for me. Rift is a nice change at this point.
Score
March 22, 2011 12:52:25 PM

I do not see D3 taking away from WoW players as I plan on playing both. many people can make arguments for other games but the fact is WoW is popular because of not only the social aspect but also how casual friendly it is. Granted I used to be in Death and Taxes (worlds #1 guild) in vanilla WoW. But I no longer have time (6 hours) a day to invest in a game. I love that its more casual, however I may try RIFT as the gameplay is too dumbed down from what it once was, everyone looks the same has the same gear and classes often are 2minute killers..... Warrior WW and DK spam. Guild wars didnt even come close to WoW so in NO WAY will it be a WoW killer. Id worry more about RIFT slowly leeching more and more people away as well as Star wars when it comes out but WoW will be around and thriving years from now.
Score
March 22, 2011 12:59:18 PM

Frankly, I'm tired of the buzz surrounding Diablo 3. We've been waiting almost 11 years! Enough talk - release the game already!
Score
March 22, 2011 1:13:01 PM

Quote:
"So it's better we cannibalize them ourselves than let someone else do that, because if we cannibalize them ourselves, they're still a Blizzard customer."

Yeah, except you're dumping loads of money in developpement to cannibalize you're own games, which also dumped a lot of money in. D3 will have to be damn impresive to ghet me off WoW (which I admit would be a good thing). I like dungeon crawlers, but I always find them to be quite repetitive after the first play-through.
Score
March 22, 2011 4:41:32 PM

Take a look a the playtime stats: Rift has climbed to #2 in just a couple weeks and people are leaving WoW in droves. Blizzard is blocking server transfers to try to mask the problem, but it's way too late. They milked the cow too long and now they're gonna die. Serves them right for taking 2 years to serve up an a month of new content and not releasing Diablo III because they didn't want lose any of their monthly revenue stream. I heard they're gonna start charging monthly fees for SC2 now as well. All they are is a bunch of crackheads now - lol.

Bye, Bye, Blizzard.
Score
March 22, 2011 4:56:26 PM

RendersTake a look a the playtime stats: Rift has climbed to #2 in just a couple weeks and people are leaving WoW in droves. Blizzard is blocking server transfers to try to mask the problem, but it's way too late. They milked the cow too long and now they're gonna die. Serves them right for taking 2 years to serve up an a month of new content and not releasing Diablo III because they didn't want lose any of their monthly revenue stream. I heard they're gonna start charging monthly fees for SC2 now as well. All they are is a bunch of crackheads now - lol.Bye, Bye, Blizzard.

You show how dumb you are in a number of ways troll.....#1 Because people are playing RIFT doesnt mean they are leaving warcraft.
#2. Blizzard is blocking server transfers trying to mask the problem? So people are transfering WoW chars to RIFT (this is news to me)
#3. Diablo III is going to be on Bnet and not require a monthly sub
#4. Blizzard is not going to start charging monthly for SC2 a game that has been out for months ....

Conclusion ....a troll is a troll
Score
March 22, 2011 6:12:28 PM

"may actually launch by the end of the year... if we're lucky."
Well, I certainly hope we are lucky!
Score
March 22, 2011 7:11:49 PM

@Renders : Can I buy some pot from you?
@ENVymert : Amen brother.
Score
March 22, 2011 7:28:28 PM

aznguy0028It's not going to be. Blizzard has already stated that "Titan" will be a brand new IP. So any existing franchise is out of the question.
They say alot of things don't they, don't be to sure... people lie...
Score
March 22, 2011 7:29:56 PM

I have played a few times at a couple of different Blizzcons and it looks great :)  It aint no crysis but it looks really cool.
Score
March 22, 2011 8:00:11 PM

"Diablo 3.... when's that due, 2012, 2014? 2020? I mean i'm sure a 4billion a year company with over 2,000 employees could somehow produce sequels to their non Warcraft franchise every 10 years...

uggg, just think, imagine if Blizzard plans to announce a new Warcraft RTS expansion or sequel, like Warcraft IV... Hey, it'll only be 15 years."

So true. I wish people would pull their heads out of their ass and realize that. This company sucks. Bioware also do. Those were cool YEARS ago.
Score
March 22, 2011 11:02:47 PM

AMW1011A game doesn't rape every setup available with amazing graphics, and instead offers fun, refined, and addictive gameplay, and you have a problem with that?

Hear hear! Too much emphasis these days on graphics, not enough on gameplay.
Score
March 23, 2011 2:01:42 PM

zak_mckraken said:
Quote:
"So it's better we cannibalize them ourselves than let someone else do that, because if we cannibalize them ourselves, they're still a Blizzard customer."

Yeah, except you're dumping loads of money in developpement to cannibalize you're own games, which also dumped a lot of money in. D3 will have to be damn impresive to ghet me off WoW (which I admit would be a good thing). I like dungeon crawlers, but I always find them to be quite repetitive after the first play-through.

That's kind of an oxymoron from your standpoint...
Score
March 23, 2011 2:22:09 PM

NapoleonDK said:
I seriously read his comment twice, then looked at the comment box, found no ad, and wondered "...huh?" then realized I had Adblock installed! :) 

No Script does the same thing. Sorry Tom's, but I'm not seeing any of your Ads and the pages work GREAT, even the Forums!
Score
March 23, 2011 5:25:13 PM

bildo123That's kind of an oxymoron from your standpoint...

Not really, I game can be very different the second time you play it. Take Heavy Rain for example. Of course, if you're refering to my WoW addiction, then yeah, I'll admit it's a bit of a contradiction.
Score
March 23, 2011 10:35:40 PM

Quote:
socalboomer 03/21/2011 11:40 PM

Tried Guild Wars and just couldn't get into it. Very VERY pretty, but didn't really like the gameplay and the grind.

But yes, you're biased. :D 

Get your facts straight! Guild wars didn't have a "grind" with a level cap of 20, it was about what skills you used... very strategic game... WoW has a massive grind... I play both!
Score
March 24, 2011 2:30:16 AM

Too bad I'm not purchasing Diablo III, just like SC2.

No lan,
No fan
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!