226W Danger Den peltier. HELP!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
yo im buying some cooling stuff, a crystal orb and 8 tweakmonster ramsinks (standard size, rev. 4) for my 9800 pro, a crystal orb for the northbridge of my asus a7n8x dlx.
im also considering buying a 226w danger den peltier unit for about 40 bux.

i have an athlon xp 2700 and an slk-800 with an 80mm vantec tornado.

my question is how well can an slk-800 and a tornado cool a 226 watt peltier?
is it going to get extremely hot? is this sufficient?
i have good case cooling also.

Also does anyone have experience with this or any other Danger Den peltier? Is this a quality product? Will it need lapping?

Last question: Where the hell am i going to get a 25 amp 12v power supply for this thing?
What kind of price am i looking at there?

TY.

Long live ATI.

svol

Champion
One short anwer: no, it wont be able to run that peltier. Such a peltier can only be cooled with watercooling.

As for lapping peltiers: I don't recommend doing it, they're made of ceramics that can break very easily.

Now I will show with some calculations why you can use aircooling with high-end peltiers (below 70W you might be able to use aircooling fairly efficient):
To create the maximum heta moving of your peltier you need to supply it with 226W, otherwise the DeltaT (temp difference between hot and cold side) will never get near its maximum. If you supply it with only 113W you will get a maximum deltaT of 35C with zero thermal load, if you put 80W CPU load on the cold side the deltaT will only be a couple of C.
So you got a peltier putting out 226W and a CPU of, lets say, 75W... that makes a total heat output of 301W at the hot side. Now lets assume you get about the max of cooling out of your HSF: 0.2 C/W (for every watt the temp increases 0.2 C). 301*0.2+ambient of 20 C will make a heat sink temp of 80.2 C... I don't think you like something that hot in your case. And your CPU wont get very cool to... with 75W thermal load the deltaT will be about 2/3 of its max: 46 C. 80C-46C will give you a CPU temp of 34 C... is that worth all the effort? Without the peltier your CPU temp would've been 75*0.2+20= 35 C.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
just want to remind you that if you're getting a peltier, get a coldplate as well

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$E R 8E10NG 2 U$</A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
yeah i knew about the cold plate.

hmm.. thanks for your insight svol. ill look into it some more.
i saw a 76w peltier for 20 bux, but i figured 76w isnt alot and wont do much. i also read an article on overclockers.com about how to build a power supply for a peltier, and it would cost around 30-40 dollars.

any more comments/suggestions on the peltier thing are highly welcome.

Long live ATI.

svol

Champion
76W will be way to low for two reasons:
1. If you pass the 76W in CPU emiited heat then your peltier will be unable to move all heat and thus your CPU will start heating up.
2. At full thermal load (76W in that case) the deltaT will go to 0 C, meaning that there will be no temp difference between the hot and cold side, the whole use of the peltier will be gone and it will only add more heat.

You need a pretty stable powersupply for a peltier that supplies clear DC which isn't higher then the specified Vmax of the peltier (otherwise the peltier will start heating up itselve) and is preferably as close as possible to the Vmax to get maximum efficiency and cooling power.
But 76W peltiers are great in combination with old CPUs (P3 and older) and graphic cards.

If you need more information about peltiers ask me... I did a graduation project about them.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: