Volcano 9 - How do I apply the Sensor?

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I bought the Volcano9 heatsink from Thermaltake. It comes with an option to have it automatically adjust fan speed according to the CPU temp. In order to do this you have to attach a little sensor that leads from the heatsink and goes on "the backside of your CPU" unfortunately, that's all the instructions that came with it.

I was wondering if the sensor needs to go directly on the CPU die or if it should go off to the side somewhere. The picture looks like it goes right on the die, but I was thinking that may block some of the heat transfer between the die and heatsink. As of right now, I have it off to the side, close to the die, but not on it. Anyone know what you're really suppose to do?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I bought the Volcano9 heatsink from Thermaltake. It comes with an option to have it automatically adjust fan speed according to the CPU temp. In order to do this you have to attach a little sensor that leads from the heatsink and goes on "the backside of your CPU" unfortunately, that's all the instructions that came with it.
They actually want you to remove the CPU from the socket and thread the wires through the pins and goop the sensor onto the back of the CPU chip. I would strongly recommend against doing this since it will tilt the chip slightly and may prevent the heatsink from mating properly with the cpu's heat island.

Also, do not put the sensor on top of the heat island, as this will almost certainly result in a blown cpu.

The best position is on top the cpu right beside the long side of the heat island. Left side or right side doesn't matter, but get it as close to the heat island as you can without putting all or any part of it on top.

Alternatively you can thread it in where the mounting spring sits, making sure it's not directly under the spring's pressure point when you mount the heatsink, but as close to it as you can safely get it.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---