Power Supply upgrade

I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with a
second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a better
psu.

Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
advance.

Gordon
5 answers Last reply
More about power supply upgrade

    Actually i meant a 6600 not a 6800.

    "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
    >ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with
    >a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
    >better psu.
    >
    > Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
    > mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Gordon

    I can't recall the innards of a Presario 6600, but many Presarios used
    oddly-shaped power supplies. If the power supply in your system does not
    follow a standard form factor and you want to upgrade the wattage, consider
    buying a new case with power supply and move the guts from the Presario to the
    new case... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:37:16 GMT, "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote:

    >Actually i meant a 6600 not a 6800.
    >

    >"Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
    >>ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with
    >>a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
    >>better psu.
    >>
    >> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
    >> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    Take a look at www.power-on,com. They have some replacement PSU that offer
    higher wattages than the OEMs.

    KC

    "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
    > ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with
    > second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a better
    > psu.
    >
    > Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
    > mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Gordon

    Thanks. Good site. However the units aren't any more powerful than what's
    already in there.

    Gordon

    "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Take a look at www.power-on,com. They have some replacement PSU that
    > offer
    > higher wattages than the OEMs.
    >
    > KC
    >
    > "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on
    >> my
    >> ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go
    >> with
    > a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
    > better psu.
    >>
    >> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
    >> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    Was worth a shot, some Mfgs offer replacement PSUs that have a higher
    wattage than the cheaper ones OEMs install. There are other sites out there
    that may be of use, check the specs and pictures for a good fit at the
    wattage you need.

    KC

    > Thanks. Good site. However the units aren't any more powerful than what's
    > already in there.
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > Take a look at www.power-on,com. They have some replacement PSU that
    > > offer
    > > higher wattages than the OEMs.
    > >
    > > KC
    > >
    > > "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on
    > >> my
    > >> ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go
    > >> with
    > > a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
    > > better psu.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for
    the
    > >> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
    > >> advance.
    > >>
    > >> Gordon

Compaq Power Supplies Graphics Cards Computers