Power Supply upgrade

Gordon

I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with a
second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a better
psu.

Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
advance.

Gordon

Gordon

Actually i meant a 6600 not a 6800.

"Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
>I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
>ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with
>a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
>better psu.
>
> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Gordon

I can't recall the innards of a Presario 6600, but many Presarios used
oddly-shaped power supplies. If the power supply in your system does not
follow a standard form factor and you want to upgrade the wattage, consider
buying a new case with power supply and move the guts from the Presario to the
new case... Ben Myers

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:37:16 GMT, "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote:

>Actually i meant a 6600 not a 6800.
>

>"Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
>>ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with
>>a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
>>better psu.
>>
>> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
>> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> Gordon

Take a look at www.power-on,com. They have some replacement PSU that offer
higher wattages than the OEMs.

KC

"Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
> I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on my
> ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go with
> second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a better
> psu.
>
> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Gordon

Gordon

Thanks. Good site. However the units aren't any more powerful than what's
already in there.

Gordon

"Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
> Take a look at www.power-on,com. They have some replacement PSU that
> offer
> higher wattages than the OEMs.
>
> KC
>
> "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Presario 6000 (6rpxe1) with a 220 watt psu. The fan is gone on
>> my
>> ti4200 graphics card and was considering upgrading it. I'd like to go
>> with
> a second tier type card (6800 or x700) but have been told I'll need a
> better psu.
>>
>> Anyone know a psu that will fit and handle any proprietary needs for the
>> mobo? Are their any modifications that I may need to perform? Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> Gordon

Was worth a shot, some Mfgs offer replacement PSUs that have a higher
wattage than the cheaper ones OEMs install. There are other sites out there
that may be of use, check the specs and pictures for a good fit at the
wattage you need.

KC