Firewall Software for Windows Server 2003

Does anyone know of a good firewall package for Win2k3? I'm speaking of
the relatively simpler apps like Kerio 2.1.5. I don't want a full firewall
package - I've got a firewall/router for that aspect. What I'd like is
application access control.

I can't stand BlackICE's application control. All I care about are which
applications are trying to access the network, not cataloging every
executable on my system.

As I said, Kerio 2.1.5 was nice. But it doesn't work with Win2k3, and
neither does the newer version of Kerio PF.

Sygate PFP works, but I find the interface to leave things to be desired.
It doesn't seem like you can add applications manually and such.

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy.

- Ambrose Bierce

CyberDroog <CyberDroog@ClockworkOrange.com> wrote in

> Does anyone know of a good firewall package for Win2k3? I'm speaking
> of the relatively simpler apps like Kerio 2.1.5. I don't want a full
> firewall package - I've got a firewall/router for that aspect. What
> I'd like is application access control.
>
> I can't stand BlackICE's application control. All I care about are
> which applications are trying to access the network, not cataloging
> every executable on my system.
>
> As I said, Kerio 2.1.5 was nice. But it doesn't work with Win2k3, and
> neither does the newer version of Kerio PF.
>
> Sygate PFP works, but I find the interface to leave things to be
> desired. It doesn't seem like you can add applications manually and
> such.

Application control in these products is almost worthless as a malware
program can beat anyone of them at system boot and be done before any
host based solution with app control that's not integrated with the O/S
can even get there to stop it.

Duane :)

"CyberDroog" <CyberDroog@ClockworkOrange.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a good firewall package for Win2k3? I'm speaking of
> the relatively simpler apps like Kerio 2.1.5. I don't want a full
firewall
> package - I've got a firewall/router for that aspect. What I'd like is
> application access control.
>
> I can't stand BlackICE's application control. All I care about are which
> applications are trying to access the network, not cataloging every
> executable on my system.
>
> As I said, Kerio 2.1.5 was nice. But it doesn't work with Win2k3, and
> neither does the newer version of Kerio PF.
>
> Sygate PFP works, but I find the interface to leave things to be desired.
> It doesn't seem like you can add applications manually and such.
>

> PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
> single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
>
> - Ambrose Bierce

If you're happier with simple stuff, Zone Alarm Pro 3.7.159 works well on my
Win 2k3 system. Zone Labs don't have it, but a Google search will reveal
sites with archives.

Agree with you that Kerio 2.1.5 would be best - the WinRoute firewall is
overkill if you're accessing thru' NAT on a small home server.
--
The Dancin' Fool
~Use the Newsgroup for replies so all may benefit~

CyberDroog schrieb:
> Does anyone know of a good firewall package for Win2k3? I'm speaking of
> the relatively simpler apps like Kerio 2.1.5. I don't want a full firewall
> package - I've got a firewall/router for that aspect. What I'd like is
> application access control.

What do you need application access control for? (Or what do you mean
with application access control? ;-)

Firewalls protect you against incoming threats. That's what they are
good for. If you want outgoing protection (i.e. protect the internet
from viruses on your computer ;-) as many firewalls offer, this is quite
complex task to achieve (you will see many warning messages for totally
legitimit traffice and you shouldn't miss the single one in between you
want to block) and it is easily circumvented (i.e. data is still
transmitted without your consent...)

Gerald

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:17:52 +0200, "Dancin' Fool"
<webCLOGSfarter@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>If you're happier with simple stuff, Zone Alarm Pro 3.7.159 works well on my
>Win 2k3 system. Zone Labs don't have it, but a Google search will reveal
>sites with archives.
>
>Agree with you that Kerio 2.1.5 would be best - the WinRoute firewall is
>overkill if you're accessing thru' NAT on a small home server.

Thanks. It just occurred to me that I might have an older copy of
ZoneAlarm on a backup CD.

--
EGOTIST, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

- Ambrose Bierce

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:11:06 GMT, Gerald Vogt <vogt@spamcop.net> wrote:

>CyberDroog schrieb:
>> Does anyone know of a good firewall package for Win2k3? I'm speaking of
>> the relatively simpler apps like Kerio 2.1.5. I don't want a full firewall
>> package - I've got a firewall/router for that aspect. What I'd like is
>> application access control.
>
>What do you need application access control for? (Or what do you mean
>with application access control? ;-)
>
>Firewalls protect you against incoming threats. That's what they are
>good for. If you want outgoing protection (i.e. protect the internet
>from viruses on your computer ;-) as many firewalls offer, this is quite
>complex task to achieve (you will see many warning messages for totally
>legitimit traffice and you shouldn't miss the single one in between you
>want to block) and it is easily circumvented (i.e. data is still
>transmitted without your consent...)

After training a firewall for application protection they aren't much of a
nuisance. I just think it's nice to have more control over what is allowed
to talk to the net and what isn't. Easier than constantly referring to
netstat or Active Ports.

--
Man is not the creature of circumstances, circumstances are the creatures
of men. We are free agents, and man is more powerful than matter.

- Benjamin Disraeli

On Thu, 20 May 2004 17:23:23 GMT, CyberDroog
<CyberDroog@ClockworkOrange.com> wrote:

>Man is not the creature of circumstances, circumstances are the creatures
>of men. We are free agents, and man is more powerful than matter.
>
> - Benjamin Disraeli

1) I guess he never heard of evolution
2) I guess he was never run over by a train

~Nemo~

I know but i could not help myself as the circumstances of oppertunity
were knocking at my door ...