will I have to oc this system?

Pablo11

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
forgive my ignorance about overclocking...

anyhow, there is an A7N8X dlx(rev. 2.0) and an xp 2400+ with 1GB corsair pc-3200 CL2 on its way. should arrive today actually...

anyhow, I am assuming I will be running at 333 FSB. with this configuration, how do I set the FSB multiplier in the bios? I know I have to downclock the ram to 333, but does that mean I have upclock the cpu? if so, to what setting do I increase the cpu to?

I guess I could boil all of this down to one question:
If one of you THGC gurus was setting up a system like the one mentioned above, exactly how would you set it up?

btw, there is also a GF4 Ti 4400 128 going in as well (if this matters)

thanks..... :)

JMHO

svol

Champion
The XP2400+ will have 266MHz FSB as default and will run at 133*15=2000 MHz. If you want it to run at 333MHz FSB instead you have to set the CPU for 166*12, the multiplier should be fully unlocked.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I'd run it at 400FSB, leave the multi at the default, put a fan on the northbridge, clock the memory down a wee bit and run in sync with the processor, then dunk your whole case in liquid nitrogen to keep it nice and cool.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
with nitro, I would wanna hit at least 600 FSB, but that's just me.... I think on the DLX 2.0, you can go all the way up to like 600 FSB...LOL

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well, if you did that, you might have to move the multiplier as low as 10, but that's still okay if you're getting 600fsb.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

Pablo11

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
well uhhh.. thanx for all the colorful comments... it's runnin great at 600 FSB! <wink>

anyhow, Svol, I don't quite follow the 166*12. Will I have to adjust the multiplier AND the FSB setting? If I set the FSB to 166, the machine crashes and defaults to an XP1800+, dont know why...

What about the memory settings? I have to downclock the PC3200 to PC2700, right? How do I set the RAM to run at 333 FSB?

Is there a setting that I have seemed to miss to run the CPU and the RAM synchronous, or is it synchronous if I set the FSB and the RAM to both run at 333 FSB through the manual manipulation of both the CPU FSB settings and the memory speed settings(which I can't seem to find)?

I thank you for your kind advice, Svol. Perhaps after I graduate from OC newbism, I might help someone else one day.

JMHO

svol

Champion
Yes when you change both you make sure you don't get a very high CPU speed that might not be reachable for your CPU. And a lot of motherboards reset the CPU settings when it crashes due to a too high overclock.

To make you run sync with the FSB (which gives best performance in most cases but you will have to tr which works best for you) you select 166MHz memory speed in the menu that allows you to set the memory timings or in the clock settings menu.

If you can't find the settings then I will download the manual and search where they are for you.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Oh dear, ur very lucky u didnt burn out the cpu! 15*166 =2.5ghz, lucky it didnt have enough juice to run at that speed or bye bye xp... The 2400 should run on any fsb aslong as you adjust the multiplier to keep speeds realistic (2-2.2ghz)

Pablo11

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
thank you kindly folks for the input... I have done some more research and overclocked my system in about 5 minutes LOL.

I just needed to put the time in and figure it out. So, now I have my system set to run at 166 FSB with a multiplier of 13 giving me about 2158 GHz. The memory timings are set to aggressive and the memory.CPU ratio is at 100% which resulted in both the memory and the CPU running synchronous at 166X2 (333) FSB. Because I turned the multiplier down, the temp of the chip only went up about 2 degrees C. So now my chhip runs at 47/48 degreees C with a thermaltake Volcano 9 at 5500 RPM. Is that temp ok?

To get more speed out of the chip, I know I can raise the multiplier and have to balance it out by raising the Vcore (right now it's at 1.65) but that is what really scares me. This will also result in increasing temps which I want to avoid at all costs. My multiplier won't go below 13. Is there a way to get it under 13? If I got it under 13, I am guessing I might get closer to 200X FSB (400), but will that make any difference or is this getting too close to splitting hairs?

Is there another good way to get more MHz out of the proc without putting at higher temps or exposing it to greater risk?

Thank you. :D

JMHO

svol

Champion
That temp is very nice.

If your multiplier wont go below 13x even with the latest BIOOS you need to do a little mod to enable the multipliers. IIRC the wire mod should work with your CPU... and this mod will not visuably void your warrenty. And yes an higher FSB with sync RAM will always increase the performance of your system.

And unfortaintly it isn't possible to increase CPU speed without increasing heat output. But as long as your cooling can handle it and you do it slow there is almost no risk.

TRENDING THREADS