BF2-DX9-Win7 (cry for help)

ggThx_80

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Pre-Note: I posted this on EA support forums and no help... Go figure.

Alright well I've been working on this for the last few nights.. Got that itch to play BF2 again and having all kinds of trouble getting it to run..

Here we go:

CPU: i5 3570k @ 4623mhz
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
OS: Win7 (64bit) UAC disabled (admin rights) Clean install
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 (NTFS Partitioned C:\OS @78GB, E:\data @853GB)
GPU: Gforce GTX 660ti 3GB 192bit (306.97 WHQL)
RES: HP 2159m @ 1920x1080 60hz
MOB: Asus P8Z77V-Deluxe
Very stable system I built about a month ago, Loving it!

So I have the original CDs from 2005. Ran them and noticed a pop up saying "This software has only been tested on winXp 32bit bla bla...." So naturally I canceled the install and ran the setup with admin/XPSP2 capability and didn't receive that warning. After that, the install went fine and I put it in my storage partition E:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Battlefield 2. I figured I should check for a patch or update so of course I found one at http://www.battlefield.com. Ver 1.41, installed that and found another update to ver1.5 and installed that. Had no problems.

It seemed like a "go", so I went ahead and loaded the bf2.exe (straight out, no administrator/compatibiliy). Splash screen showed up and screen went black. I sat there for about 3 minutes and nothing. Alt+tab out and noticed an error, "DirectX version 9.0c or higher is required to run BF2. Your system seems to have DirectX version 0.0."

Really? I never heard of version 0.0! Anyways, I did dxdiag and saw I have DX11 installed, which was obvious but i just wanted to make sure. Digged into my C:/windows/system32/directx/.... saw I had all the proper d3d9s, 10s, and didn't notice anything out of ordinary. I even downloaded and ran the dxwebsetup.exe from microsoft.com and it "determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary". Figured that..

So ive searched, googled, binged, yahoo'd this to death and found a few leads that I thought would solve my problem but no luck. So, this is my last and final attempt to see if I can find a solution.

Of course I've tried to run the BF2.exe as admin, compatibility mode, troubleshooter, winXPsp2/3, vista... Every angle I could hit it I did.. lol. Probobly why i have so many kids? :sol:

Thanks in advance!

V/r,
Rob

BF2ERROR-1.png

ggThx_80

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Thanks for helping.

I did retake another look at my DX. Didnt notice anything. Im reluctant to try and "uninstall" or modify my DX files.. heard some real horror stories about that going wrong and I really dont fell like rolling back or even having to reinstall OS.

I did reinstall my video drivers. No luck there.

BF2 was green and playable on my system according to SRL. I pretty much double or even triple most reqs for BF2 on this rig.

Thanks again for your help. I might just go back to playing BF3 for now.. maybe it just wasnt meant to be ;)

wrathofdragon

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
when you were installing the game did you click YES to install the DirectX that came with the game?
even though you may have new and "better" version of DX, the one that comes with the game has ALL the files required to play the game. it will only install the things you DON'T have.
if you try to re-install the game with the "stock" directX, you will be able to play it with no problems...

ggThx_80

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I did. I know win7 has 11. It also has 9, and 10. Figured when it did want to install it that it would do no harm. So then it tells me it has installed successfully. I reboot, same result. :??:

davedurg09

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Uninstall the game, run CCleaner or something silimar to remove the registry files etc. Then re-install the game with compatibility mode OFF and ignore the warning that mentions that the game has only been test on XP

ggThx_80

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Did this as well. And, I have a paid version of CCleaner. Still no luck. However, now it is giving me the "9.0c DX is required, install DX 9.0c then retry" Error..

Progress? I hope..

Thanks Dave