baussman

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all,

I want to get in on World of Warcraft online as I hear its fun but I don't know much about it.

Do I just go out and by the latest version? ie. Mists of Pandaria and thats all I need to start playing?

It's a standalone game right? as in I don't have to buy the first WoW?

I hope that made sense.

Cheers.

Dos Zombie

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Well now's a better time to start than ever. Back when the game first came out, it was really good, same with the 1st expansion (BC). After that, with each expansion the game got slightly "worse". Blizzard just caters to morons by making the game seem to easy.

However, it's still an extremely fun game. When you buy WoW you automatically get Vanilla and Burning Crusade free, all you have to pay for is WotLK, Cata and Pandas. I bought Wrath this summer for like 10 bucks at Target, and I can't imagine Cata is very expensive now that Pandas are out. Pandaria will still be around $40.
You have to buy each expansion.

-To play you need to buy: Vanilla/Burning Crusade then when you want to (you technically don't HAVE to... but..) you have to buy each expansion (3 more) after the original purchase. Then there is a monthly fee but you can buy time cards at Walmart or Target or something.

I still have my Wrath code unactivated I think, but I'm not sure. If you have a game on Steam you want to trade for it or something.

You do have to buy the original game and two last expansions, however, they often make discounts like "Get expansions for 5 euros each (like two weeks ago), and now they're discounting the latest expansion to be only 20 euros. All the expansions will not cost you more than one newly released game. At the moment you can buy everything for 50 euros (even cheaper if you're in US).

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

You played Star Wars The Old Republic? You can pick up the game for $10 and try out the free to play option. I'm really enjoying it but I'm new to MMO's so what do I know! ha.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I got Battlechest (First 3), and Cataclysm for $15 during a GameStop sale. I don't have MoP.

I don't get addicted to it for some reason. I kind of wish I did. I usually lose interest because you do the same stuff over and over again.

baussman

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
what are some good addictive/time killing games that you kind gentlemen can recommend for under $100?

i like games like Skyrim, but FPS mostly bore me unless the campaign is awesomeo

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
if you wanted to try WoW you can play for free up to level 20, then you can buy the game which is the original plus the first expansion which will let you play through all of that content which used to take some time to play through but they sped up leveling to get people to end content quicker plus if you get just burning crusade and try to end game that material you will have almost no one to play with because any hardcore player will have the latest expansion to do raids and PvP.

i have started playing SWTOR and it is good for dialogue and gameplay feels similar to WoW. also, as Jarlsuki has mentioned Borderlands 2 is a great FPS.

What's wrong with WoW again? All the expansion together will cost you around $55 :p.

stoutgamer79

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
World of Warcraft is the most successful MMO to date. The storylines flow well, and open ended gameplay lets you do what you like, be it PVP or PVE or if you just want to play the market (yes people do that). I have been playing since vanilla, this talk about WoW ruining your social life is all a matter of perspective, WoW in itself is a social game, if you want it to be, in the end you are responsible for your own choices in life. I choose to play WoW rather than go out drinking, but all good things come in moderation. For me it got to a point to where I needed a mental break from the game from time to time, was heavy into raiding every night and that took alot of personal time, so I took about 8 months off as RL got too busy for me to dedicate the time I wanted to the game.

Finding the right guild for you is almost essential, choosing the right realm is also essential. Pick a realm where your side has about 20k+ players, as it makes for a better market system and a generally more populated sandbox if you dont really want to play with others then low pop servers are ok but personally I like a busy local channel. Also pick one in your time zone, I am in central zone and play on an east coast time zone so raids and such happen earlier in the day for me so I dont have to stay up late if it runs over, much the opposite if I played on a West Coast server. For information on WoW Realms go to www.warcraftrealms.com, they keep a running census of all the realm populations and divides them by horde and alliance. Currently Area 52 is good for Horde, not too sure for Alliance. If you want to play horde I can help you get started there.

As for the price, right now Blizzard is selling mists for $20 and the entire and the rest of the expansions for 15 bucks, so for a total of $35 you can have all the expansions.

The lore itself is great and the questing mechanics include vehicle fights, some cut scenes, and a world where the artwork is amazing.

As you are unemployed, been there done that, playing WoW is a good way to waste alot of time. :)

Just keep it fun and it will be fun for you.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Don't get me wrong, WoW is great in the sense that it builds upon DECADES of pre-established lore, and Pandas were in WoW YEARS before Kung Fu Panda came out. I played on and off since Classic (apparently being called Vanilla, though I like chocolate myself). The great thing is that if you care you can pay attention to the story, but it can be 100% ignored without missing out on too much of the core game mechanics.

What killed WoW for me was when they changed talents so that you had to max out a tree before you could put points in any other tree (at some point during Cata, never got to endgame in Cata because of it). My mage had a sick Arcane/Frost spec and my shaman had a good Enh/Resto mix to suit my PVP junkie needs, and they killed it.

Like it or not, 90% of MMOs out there took one thing or another from WoW. At the same time, I'll never go back on the mentality that I will not learn to play the same game for a third time. Besides, I'm a Star Wars Junkie and I got my wife and kids playing TOR with me :D

stoutgamer79

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I started playing SWTOR when it was released and my gf and I had so many high hopes for the game. But with hardware issues at the time with our computers we could hardly play it. And many other issues that plagued the release made us cancel our accounts and go back to WoW. Now that we have new machines we are now playing TOR again and enjoying the great group questing system that, imo, raised the bar for other MMO's Maybe in January once the holidays are over and I have a bit of extra cash, we will sub up, but for now we are trying the free to play option before we start up full swing again but at the same time we invested a lot of time in WoW so we are undecided about what we want to do. Hopefully SWTOR will come back in popularity and become the game it should have become. Sadly it was destined to fail before it was even released.

P.S. Vanilla ice cream is best with rootbeer. :kaola:

Weru

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
If you want to try it, Blizzard has a Starter Edition that will allow you to play to level 20. The only investment is the download time for the client.

I do have to agree that it is very addictive, but it kept me sane when I was unemployed for 18 months. For someone that is use to having something to do, a deadline to meet, it filled that for me. Sending out resumes and job hunting only fills so much of the day unless your read - really - really slowly.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

you dont have to buy each one unless you want to reach level 90. with the $20 chest you can get to 70 which will take you some time to do. i believe it took me over 8 ingame days to reach 70.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

I agree whole-heartedly, Borderlands 2 is fun and funny. Dishonored was excellent, but I beat it in 3 days.