Is the Witcher 2 worth getting?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Ok, before you answer, let me give you some facts to consider...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlastXBlast/games/

I have tons of games, over 200 on steam alone, and counting origin and other sources, close to 300 PC games. I have probably played about half of them, and keep wanting to get into them.

I have Witcher EE, but didn't like it. The combat wasn't really my thing and I don't plan on playing through that game even if I do get Witcher 2. Granted, I only played about an hour and don't really understand the combat engine - don't know if my opinion would change any if I played longer or if Witcher 2 does it better - that's why I'm asking you.

I have every Blizzard game and am starting to get heavily into Starcraft 2 - and recently added Borderlands 2 to my collection. I spend about 10 hours a day playing PC games, so I have a lot of love to give, but at the same time I have more games than I know what to do with.

So I guess the TLDR version of my question would be this...

Considering the abundance of amazing games I have - the greatest PC games to come out over the past two years that I haven't gotten around to playing yet but own, is the Witcher 2 worth buying because of the Steam sale, all things considered, for me, even though I didn't particularly care for the first game?

Thanks.

Hi, sorry I cannot offer opinion in regards to W2 vs W1, because I haven't played W2 yet, but have really liked W1 (which differs from your experience a lot)

But pardon my offtop, I just wanted to ask how old are you and if you're over 23-25 where do you find the time to do all that gaming?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I went ahead and got Witcher 2 before it went off sale just in case I ever want to give it a shot. As much as I would like to impatiently move on to what seems (according to the general consensus) the far better game in Witcher 2, I plan to force myself through the first Witcher, and who knows, maybe if I put a little more time into it the engine will make sense and the story will hook me. We'll see. I do hope I made the right decision, but it's only $7.50.

I am 31 years old and am married to a professional. I have resources and have no need nor desire to work full time, although I have taken on "projects" out of boredom. I am blunt when people ask about that, for some reason.

Both Witcher's have odd combat systems. The first one is all about timing, the 2nd one did make it a little more traditional, but it is still kind of different. Because of how different they are to what you are used to, you have to get used to it a bit to appreciate them, but they are good games.

I would have told you not to buy it, but it seems you already did. You have a lot of games you should force yourself to get into. It seems to me that you don't like the initial learning curve of a game, but if you get past that, you would likely find a lot of fun games to play.

My reason for not buying the Witcher 2 has more to do with the fact he has hundreds of bought games he has never played. Surely some of those games should be worth playing.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I know - I have ADD and steam keeps popping sales I can't resist. Bad combination. I need to start playing what I have.

Personally, i didnt like witcher 1 combat system at all, but i enjoyed the game enought to live with it.
Witcher 2 was a totally diffrent expirince for me, combat was far more dynamic and fun, as well as more free.
I think witcher 2 is the better game of the two in combat, but witcher 1 is better in story.
When it comes to graphics, witcher two demolishes witcher 1.
In terms of replayability, i think they are both about the same (not 2 replayable, maybe once each 2 years?).

Thats my view on the games.
Finally, i think getting it is worth it (one of those games that suprise you because it is simply better than the generic junk that comes out all the time).

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I may just skip the first and start on the second because I don't really have the time to mess around.

I need to brush up on my Starcraft 2 anyway, with HotS coming soon.